increasing merit badge interest

I'm looking for some opinions on merit badges from the assembled masses, so I'll throw out some questions and comments and see what sticks:

- What are some effective things that the PLC/SM can do to encourage the earning of non-Eagle/non-summer_camp merit badges? In our troop, which I feel is well run by all accounts, it seems that 99.9% of merit badges earned are either at summer camp or are Eagle-required.

- We never do actual "classes" on a particular badge, but the PLC will typically pick a badge each month related to a theme or outing, and then have knowledgable scouts introduce the topic and provide some instruction. For instance, a scout may bring in his GPS receiver and lead the others geocaching behing the meeting place, or experienced skiers may bring in their gear before a ski outing, or we may work on knots and signals before a climbing outing, or we'll do a pioneering outing, or whatever. One time, coin collections were brought in a some numismatic info was discussed. In these cases, at the end, there's always a "go see the SM for a blue card if you're interested in learning more and working on the merit badge". However, very rarely are there any takers.

- Devil's advocate: Should we care about this? Does a "good" troop have a more active MB program?

Comments, thoughts?

In my opinion, you're doing it right and I wouldn't worry.

The way you do "instruction" and not "merit badge classes" is spot-on. So what if no one earns the badge? They're still learning stuff and having fun.

I think what you're seeing is a spin-off of summer camp merit badge programs. With only nine elective MBs needed for Eagle, most boys can knock that off in a couple seasons at camp without much effort. So they do the math and figure additional electives are worth the work, even if there's not much additional work to do.

Not every merit badge is meant to appeal to every Scout. Scouting is about more than merit badges, anyway. There's selling popcorn, for instance.

Your taster or intro idea sounds fine. One way to possibly enhance it might be to have an actual merit badge counselor come to the troop meeting and speak on his badge subject (without signing off on any requirements).

Another idea would be to have a Scout who has already earned that badge bring in his badge's projects for show and tell. He could explain how earning that mb has enhanced his life

Summer camps offer way too many merit badges, but that is a different topic

As long as the boys are aware of the merit badges and are free to pursue them at their own pace, I see no need to encourage it beyond that. It should be on their individual initiative, really, all the way through. What they need from the program is freedom and opportunity to take that initiative and pursue their individual goals.

Some merit badges are (now) too big for a troop to sponsor, let alone the individual Scout. That may be one reason they don't bother.

Your district needs to have brought in poles and spars at each quarterly camporee for those who want to build towers and monkey bridges

Al, I think your program is good. Leaning on the boys to "hand down" skills needed for particular badges adds to the life of your troop.

But, it's a good idea for you and the boys to figure out what MB's they'd like to learn about, but nobody in the group has any skills. Part of your program could be inviting an expert to come and discuss his/her hobby or occupation. That should increase the comfort of the boys in contacting the MBC.

What if you're troop doesn't know someone for a badge the boys are interested in? That's what district round-tables are for! In total, merit badge education should be a district activity since there are too many badges for any one troop to promote. But obviously each troop will have to set their own level of district involvement.

Maybe inviting a guest to speak on a subject of interest that also ties into a MB.

A few months ago we had a guest who is an archaeologist talk to our scouts at a meeting. They were captivated by the items he brought to show and the stories of finding old stuff on digs. The scouts ended up getting the archaeologist to invite then to a local dig. The next Saturday they were in a field near our meeting place (that most of the boys ride by everyday) digging an early 1800's house foundation. They dug and sifted dirt and found all kinds of stuff like nails, pottery, hardware and one scout found an 1816 large cent. About 15 boys attended, 4 earned the MB, everyone had fun and learned.

Yah, I hear where AlFansome is comin' from. The issue is tryin' to encourage follow-through on the boys' part.

So much of the lives of kids these days involves adults leading them by the nose and pushing or pestering that almost no kids these days have developed the ability to choose somethin' and follow through on it on their own. It has to be scheduled. It wasn't always this bad, leastways back in the days when I rode a mastodon to work; kids tended to engage in more hobbies and such on their own.

I don't think I have any great ideas on this one, AlFansome. Leastways, I haven't seen any anywhere, and I've seen several units that experience the same thing you are. One thing yeh might try is to run one "easy" badge where yeh do actually guide 'em by the nose all the way through the process so they get to "see" it and it's not unknown. Then maybe a second round where yeh do intros for a couple of 'em and they have to choose one to pursue on their own and yeh guide/cajole a bit. Get 'em a few successes to see if you can't build on 'em.

That, and maybe forbid summer camp and Badge Fairs for all MBs, so that there isn't an option to just wait for when it can be spoon-fed and as easy as possible.

Beavah

One more idea to the brainstorm pile:

Have the PLC do a skit on the process of earning a merit badge. You'd need at least three actors, one for SM, one for MBC, and one for Scout. The SM is stage right, the MBC is stage left. The scout's home/school/hangout is center stage. Open with the scout at home a little bored, so he decides to work on advancement. He finds his handbook and reads off the list of merit badges until he finds one that interests him. The scout goes back and forth between home, SM, and MBC. SM fills out a blue card and suggests an MBC. MBC demonstrates how he would set goals for each meeting, and arrange to meet in accordance to YP standards. You can even have the boys act out a couple of the distractions (video games, friends, misplaced blue card, uncharged cell phone, etc ...) that get in the way of earning that badge.

I just thought of it, so obviously never tried it, but I'm gonna float it by our boys. (One former SPL is really into theater.) If any of yours do it first (or have already done something like it), let us know how it turns out.

qwazse great idea!

I have forwarded that one on. As a new parent I was very confused as to how the process worked--even with all the handouts.

Each year you have a new crop of parents and boys anyway so it is a good excuse to remind some folks who are still fuzzy about it. Love the distraction part of it.

Last month, our PLC announced a Merit Badge contest. The Scout and patrol who earn the most badges before the next Court of Honor will win a prize. So far, it has motivated them to start (lots of blue cards issued), but not finish - only four completed. We'll see how it goes as the deadline looms. I believe there is a second phase, running until the June Court of Honor.