Improving Merit Badge Universities

SeattlePioneer,

It is a District event (involves 3 of the 5 Districts in our Council). We're the Northern Tier, and the Southern Tier handles the other MB event.

I was recruited for the event initially for Computer support, and I grew into chairing it.

It had been running (all though not as smooth as now) for several years.

As far as how it's run, Scouts pre-register for 3 MB's from the list (I have the schedule broken down by 3 sessions with ~20-22 MB's each session). The idea is they get 1 hour-25 minutes of each of the 3 MB's, each Saturday, for a total of ~4 hours of class time.

I choose MB's that span the ability level of the Scouts from one that are usually finished by the 3rd Saturday, to several that almost always are partials.

Hello dg98adams,

I think your description of the program illustrates how district volunteers can control the quality of events such as a MBU.

The standards for such activities can be high or they can be low. Perhaps some of those complaining about such things should do what you have done and get involved in helping to organize the activity at the district level and insure that it's a quality Scouting activity.

I've volunteered at the District level.

I've done my bit to help the District do it's bit to meet the goals of the Council.

As District Chair. One of the hardest jobs I undertook was working with the District Advancement Committee to ensure that we were able to offer a District List of MBC's.

My goal was to ensure that if a Scout was interested in a badge that a MBC was available.

The District Advancement Committee and the Dean of Merit Badges did their best to try and ensure that those on the list were qualified to cover the badge.

I see this as the job of the District Committee and the Advancement Committee.

I do not see offering Merit Badge Universities a role or a job for the District or the Council.

While there are required badges that some Scouts only do because they are required, the idea of earning or getting a badge should come from the Scout. My thinking is that Scouts go for the badges that are about things that Scouts have an interest in or maybe are lucky enough to be good at.

The idea of any sort of a Merit Badge University is so far away from what I believe the advancement method is or should be about of course means that I'm never going to support them and have no interest in improving, other than hoping that they never happen in the first place.

Ea.

• 2 months later...

From another thread on MB where the SM was asking if he could reject a signed MB and the discuss raised there, I decided I better post on bookmarks for MB Academy (as we call it) only to find THIS thread already started.

Our district hosted its first MBA this year and there was MUCH room for improvement. Two of ladies already decided to chair it and start the planning next week. One of the biggest concerns I had was the learning curve. (Call it the teacher in me where assessment must be utilized... *grins) I really would like a 'hand-on' MBA rather than the lecture types. It makes it active learning for the scout and a way to reinforce learning. For the counselor is a way of the scout showing their learning and understanding. Its also a way to make our MBA different from the other offered district MBU in our council. Ideas on approaches for the 'hands-on' MBA please?

Also being that this is my first, I know bookmarks are needed. Suggestions on them? Love the wording that 'ATTENDANCE IS NOT PARTICIPATION'. I did notice that my Scouts attended the 'lecture' and then walked out the door without getting partials so there is a NEED to explain at the first what the Scout is required to do at EACH session by having a walk through using a Scout as an example to walk them through the step by step process of the BC.

There is a couple of posters who I would really love to see you actual planning records, council links and stc. Any way of posting links here for redirection or suggestions on direct contact?

Since your going to do it anyhow.

Limit class size, Limit class size, Limit class size, limit class size

you simply cannot have 30 scouts in a woodworking class expect a councilor to do his job properly. I would limit it to 10 or 15 per session to give them a chance to do a decent job.

A bit of perspective.....you have a 3 hour session, 180 minutes. if you have 30 scouts in the session it gives the councilor less than 6 minutes per scout to verify knowledge.....how can you expect him to do a decent job???????

Two councilors 30 scouts 12 minutes per boy.

Ok I admit I have mixed emotions on this topic. I've seen it where folks got MBs that have me scratching my head, and I have been part of one MBU that I was complimented by another MBC on the quality of the work we did.

Here are my thoughts.

#1 Get good, quality MBCs who know their topic, can bring a passion to it, and cna really get the Scouts involved.

#2 Limit the number of sessions to two: one before lunch and one after. Also some MBs WILL need to be one all day session.

#3 Agree with Basement, LIMIT CLASS SIZE. To take it a step further, have a team of MBCs working the class.

#4 Clearly communicate what need to be done prior to class, i.e. paperwork, and also communicate what MBs will be earned, which ones will be earned if p/w is done prior to class, and which MBs will be partials.

I hate MBUs, but if the district was going to insist on doing them, here is what I proposed for our MBU if I were to run it:

1.Run a District MB counselor training and MBU information day one month before the MBU.

2.MBU is two consecutive Saturdays, 1 hour 30 minute classes.

3.Troops would receive the MBC approved list to give their scouts two weeks before the first Saturday.

4.Scouts would arrive between 7:00 to 9:00 pm Friday before the first Saturday to meet counselor, sign up for class, and fill out blank MB Card.

5.Scouts will not be permitted to attend class without a filled out MB Card signed by Scoutmaster.

6.There is no promise of completion of requirements by the end of course.

My plan was turned down, so I didnt accept leading it.

Our MBU was a total nightmare. Ignoring the normal steps scouts are supposed to perform when signing up for a MB like calling and filling out paperwork, the scouts were also required to stay at MBU from 8 am until 5 pm even if they only wanted to take one class. They were required to buy lunch, even if they only signed up for one class. This made for a lot of behavior issues with scouts who didnt want to stay all day and we must have had 20 adult volunteers walking the halls. School wasn't this strict. Add the hours and hours of work trying to get boys signed up two weeks before and collecting dues, it was a huge mess. I wanted to change it completely to where the scouts do the work to find the counselor, fill out the required paper and show up only for the classes they wanted to attend. And the district would get an updated counselor list each year at the MB Counselor training.

Barry