Has anyone noticed the "scouts" in the new chess merit badge book are not wearing uniforms? In fact looking through the entire book I did not even notice an activity uniform? Is national moving away from uniforming? Just curious what your thoughts are.

bpaisley: are the pictures normally found in merit badge books real (i.e. from actual scouting activities) or just posed ones with models?

If they are real, it is possible that since the merit badge just came out a few months ago, they can't find anyone actually doing it before the publishing of the book.

However, a UC in my district was very involved in the creation of that merit badge and the district's newsletter has lots of pictures of our scouts pulling an all nighter to be the 1st in the nation to complete it. They are all wearing uniforms!

Close to 90% of the pictures in the book look like they come from a single, large chess tournament. See page 70 and notice most of the shots of the boys playing throughout the book come from that tourney. (Notice the chairs and tablecloths).

Perhaps it was simpler and cheaper (?) to send a photographer (or use stock photos) from a tourney than to stage, setup and pose a photo shoot?