Eagle SM conference

EJ: Indeed, welcome to the ecampfire...

Always good to meet another Scout from Murlun.

My good wife was from Balmer, and I know where Rising Sun is.

I think you will have the best of all worlds by staying in touch with your Troop when you get "old", helping the younger Scouts to keep your Troop active.

As you pass Harpers Ferry, stop by the Swiss Miss for some ice cream...

I like to do the Eagle SM Conference a short time before the Eagle BoR is to be held. I ask about stuff that needs to be brought to the BoR, and I kinda coach the Scout about how to prepare for it. I go over the whole Scout career, remeniscing,what he learned about leadership, what was fun, what was not. I try to ask a few of the things that I know the BoR will ask.

Returning to the question as asked....

The new advancement guidelines may have something to say about this and I confess that I have not picked those up yet to study them. Be that as it may, in my mind the SM has a great deal of latitude in handling the SMC for eagle. I always viewed signatures and initials in the scout's handbook as a backup record system, in the event the troop records are incomplete. Since we use Troopmaster on a dedicated laptop, it is easy to print out a report of all the information that the troop has recorded. As a scoutmaster I would want to see that, copies of any final blue cards that have not been processed, and the completed workbook for the eagle project. If these things were not available I likely would not schedule a conference.

In my view, when the SM signs the eagle application, the SM is essentially certifying that the POR requirements have all been met in a satisfactory manner. After the SM signs eagle application the SM essentially loses further control over the process. Even if the POR requirements have not been signed off in a handbook, the SM should know where an aspiring eagle stands with regards to this requirement.