Merit Badge University ... or Day ... or Whatever

Several Districts in our Council host or put on Merit Badge Universities - most are one day, while one District breaks it into 3 days, about 4 weeks apart. We are closing in on the time of year when these start to pop up again.

And I hate them. IMO they are totally diametrically opposed to the heart and soul of the Merit Badge program. I also have yet to meet a young man who earned a Merit Badge that way who has recollection of the subject learned or who developed any sort of passion to follow up and learn more. (I'm sure there ARE some who have, but I've yet to meet one.)

As our unit leader I don't want our boys attending. I want them to work the Merit Badge program as intended. We have one Dad who is an ASM who wants to make sure (and does) to share the info with the boys regardless. (Thankfully none of the boys has attended anyway.)And my own son, who is not allowed to attend them, is feeling a bit left out while he watches his friends from other troops "earning" badges at those events.

We have really become a parenting society of box checkers, haven't we? Make sure Johnny does everything possible, even if he doesn't get anything out of it ... no wonder it is getting harder to hire people who actually engage in their work. But I digress.

Please - am I just being controlling and over the edge? Am I out of touch with how things are "these days"? Am I depriving our young men of a great opportunity to be exposed to information they may not avail themselves of otherwise?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the scouts in our troop goes to a lot of these (hence why he's a 14 yr old with 55 merit badges). I won't allow my sons to. I agree that they aren't part of the MB spirit. I also think, if done properly, they would result in a lot of partials, which are a pain.

I dislike merit badge boot camps as well.

How about educating your parents on the Merit badge program and how it was intended to work????? And then follow up with your dislike as well.

The national website has a pretty decent explanation.

I really had citizen merit badges being offered at summer camp.....But generally don't like any indoor merit badges being offered at summer camp.

And my own son, who is not allowed to attend them, is feeling a bit left out while he watches his friends from other troops "earning" badges at those events.

Attendance is NOT a measure of participation or a measure of individual effort as far as Merit Badges go.

Instead of imposing your own view or bias (not saying you are mistaken) why not let him see for himself?

After all, if you would like to see a Scout experience aspects of Leadership and Citizenship, shouldn't you give him credit for being able to tell a road apple from a rose?

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

As our unit leader I don't want our boys attending. I want them to work the Merit Badge program as intended. We have one Dad who is an ASM who wants to make sure (and does) to share the info with the boys regardless.

You are the unit leader, which means you control whether a boy can start work on an MB. You oversee the unit program, and the ASM works for you. If he doesn't understand that, then he's out. End of story.

Now, could a boy attend this MBU, learn about the badge, do some of the requirements, and then come to you and say "Hey, I'm really interested in Nuclear Science after talking with Mr. Smith and doing this experiment at the MBU. Can I get a blue card and start working on this badge?" You can then say "Sure, but with Mr. Jones - he's the counselor we prefer Scouts to work with."

IMHO, that's the way these events should be structured and organized - like one of those fairs in college where all the student organizations try to woo new members. (You've got the College Republicans handing out flyers, the College Democrats handing out buttons, the environmental group doing a composting project and the Buddhist group meditating.) Imagine a giant field or park with Pioneering structures, Cooking demonstrations, Fire Safety experiments, Wilderness Survival shelters, Cinematography instruction ... giving Scouts a taste of what the badge involves beyond the picture in the back of the Handbook.

I don't like them either, for the reasons already discussed.

Unfortunately, this practice probably began at Scout summer camps, which are usually no better.

I don't oppose this program in my own district --- neither do I volunteer at it.

If I were a Scoutmaster again, I don't think I would be too hard nosed about it. I might limit participation to one such program per year held in my own district.

As noted earlier, some boys will feel deprived or left out if they are prevented from participating. I'd want to avoid that, too. So my inclination would be to place reasonable limits on a program that after all has official encouragement even if I don't care for it.

"Imagine a giant field or park with Pioneering structures, Cooking demonstrations, Fire Safety experiments, Wilderness Survival shelters, Cinematography instruction ... giving Scouts a taste of what the badge involves beyond the picture in the back of the Handbook."

It seems to me that there used to be something of this sort - rather like a Scouting Fair. Hmm ... sounds like a grand idea for me to take back to our District Committee ...

While my impression is that these events are low in quality and shorting boys of the true MB experience, I have never actually seen one for myself. With our brand new troop just starting out, I feel I would not want our boys attending one if I had my choice.

But my suggestion would be do what I plan on doing. I plan on attending and observing one before I allow a scout in our troop to attend. I feel it would be unfair of me to judge these events without first seeing one myself. If I am somehow pleasantly surprised, and see good instruction, small groups and a quality experience for the boys attending, I may change my thinking.

But I don't think that will happen. :)

My experience with Merit Badge Universities is that classes are typically taught by adults who have at least a measure of experience and competence in they field of the Merit Badge. Often enough they are taught by people with considerable competence and training in the field.

By contrast, when I was a Camp Commissioner at a Scout Camp this summer, the Trail to first Class classes were taught by Counselors In Training who were mostly 13 years old and 1st class. Often they had minimal competence to teach, and minimal equipment with which to teach.

The CITs were probably handicapped in competence by having gone through the Trail To First Class program at a Scout Camp themselves.

The quality of Merit Badge University programs may compare favorably to a lot of merit badge programs at Scout Camps, except in areas like aquatics and shooting sports where standards are typically commendably high.

Mom,

Do you let your boys take MBs at summer camp? I'd rather see my boys take a class at a MBU over our council summer camp any day. At MBU I know they are being taught by ACTUAL MBCs not some kid a couple of years older than the scouts who has no interest, or knowledge of the subject matter.

These events are not what the MB program was designed to be but I feel they have a place in the program when used once a year. My district does one and it centers around hard to get badges, ones that don't have a lot of counselors, and ones that you need special facilities for.

Our district doesn't just give away MBs at this event. If the kids aren't in FULL uniform, with MBP in hand and pre reqs done they aren't admitted to class. Screw around in class you're asked to leave the room, no badge. Come in late, you are asked to leave. We don't fool around.

Occasionally we have to give in to this sort of event to keep kids interested in the program. If kids and more importantly parents don't see progress they leave. Kids today are instant gratification driven. Parents want to see progress. No progress, no scouts.

Thanks for all of the replies, folks.

Trainerlady, yes, I do encourage them to take classes at camp. Merit Badge classes at camp are structured such that they take at least two separate sessions with time in between to absorb what they are learning. They are mostly limited to offerings that are outdoor oriented and Eagle required badges are very limited. Scoutcraft, frankly, is the area where staff seems to be the most lacking. it is simply amazing how many Eagle Scouts come to camp staff unable to tie knots and build fires - oh, don't get me started on that one! You also get the overzealous ones, the Aquatics Director who was requiring boys have CPR certification to sign them off on Lifesaving, when that isn't what the requirement is. Honestly, I am far more tolerant under those circumstances as they are mostly youth themselves and are nothing more than products of our own Troops. If they don't know their stuff that reflects right back on the units and Scoutmasters.

MBUs are a different breed, though. While the instructors may (and I stress MAY - as many around her are instructed by college students) be experts in their field they often lack any experience with the Boy Scout program, for one, and the class sizes are too large to allow for one on one contact with the boys. It is too easy to stay hidden in the back of the room. As for kicking them out if they are not in full uniform - that presents another problem, as it is adding to the requirements of the Merit Badge, which is just as much of an issue as not requiring the requirements be met.

I deal with this at the ground level:

I'm a BSA Aquatics Director. I hold a monthly SWIM event in our area. I personally counsel Lifesaving MB. I humbly submit that I do a good job.

I suggest: Send a few of your cagiest Scouts to it, or go yourself. You can keep a tight rein on what they take there, and see what they think. Find out who the Counselor is, and talk to him/her yourself.

There's one going on here, soon. They recruited ME to counsel Lifesaving MB. They have a weather guy from a local TV station helping with Weather Merit Badge. I think that the Scouts will be blessed working with him.

I'm sure that there is potential for slop or abuse, and I do think that Scouts should do some Merit Badges the traditional way, working individually with a specific adult.

One thing that goes on at a local "Merit Badge Mill, " is that they do the "Book parts" of the Merit badge, like discuss what careers are available in the field of Aviation. Then the Scout has to do the other stuff on his own. Also, Merit Badges that just aren't available otherwise can be done. When I was a Scout, thre were Merit Badges tht I wanted to do, thre just wasn't a Counselor to be found. These kids are involved in so much stuff, having a few Merit Badges convenient is a good thing.

:~)