Merit Badge University ... or Day ... or Whatever

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGE is correct, MBCs are district committee folks, so unit level folks usually don't sign the forms. But I do know places where the procedures are not followed. What's funny is I have 3 membership cards: DL, MBC, and Dis Com. Member.

Bad news is that you can sign up for as many MBs that you feel you can handle teaching. Now the DAC is suppose to review the MBC apps if memory serves, and there is an additional form that is used to tell the DAC whether the MBC you want to teach is part of your vocation, avocation, or something you have specialized training in. Don't know how many folks use the form though, and don't know how many just sign away in order to have an MBC for the topic.

Good news, at least for some, some MBs now require MBCs to hold specific certification in order to teach them. So if dad tries to sign up for Swimming, Lifesaving, Canoeing, and Rwoing, among others, then that's a no no unless he has the certs.

I support Merit Badge Day programs. Merit badges are offered for many reasons. One of them is to learn about something they are interested in such as a hobby, another is to get a brief look into a career field they may want to participate in some day, and then there are some that are really helpful to making a scout more prepared for life. Plus the activity gives scouts across the council a chance to gather as scouts should on occasion.

It's all good stuff and that's part of the reason they got into scouting. If they don't want to go don't make them. If they want to go, why hold them back?(This message has been edited by bacchus)

Huzzah, Bacchus! Further, Merit Badges are Such & Such 101. They are a taste of a subject. A Scout who takes Dentistry MB isn't then a Dentist. When I train Scouts in Lifesaving MB, they aren't now Lifeguards. (Close, though.)

The big Merit Badge fairs ARE fun.

OGE - The Committee Chairman signed off on all MB Counselor apps in our district. It's not unheard of I guess.

Anyway, we've had anything ranging from awful to satisfactory experiences. As I recall, a district counselor for Citizenship in the World told our Scouts that MSNBC and Fox News were the most unbiased sources for news. :wat:

> If they want to go, why hold them back?

BSA has entrusted SM's with utilizing the MB program as part of the overall scouting program to achieve the aims of scouting. A SM may choose to approve a scout's attendance at a MB "Univerisity" for some MB's if: it is a limited opportunity that would be otherwise hard for a scout to arrange with an individual counselor; if it provides a taste of a certain subject, etc.

A SM may choose to direct a scout to a counselor outside of a MB "University" (i.e., "hold them back" from the Univeristy)if the SM believes it is in better keeping with the aims of scouting. Perhaps that the scout will get a better experience with an individual counselor. Or that he/she sees that a scout is looking to "game the system" by taking a perceived "hard", required MB in a half day classroom session. Or that the SM sees that a scout has taken most of his MB's at Summer Camp, and wants the scout to experience and get comfortable with the process of calling a counsellor and making an appointment, and experience all of the other benefits of meeting with a MB counsellor in the manner described by BSA in their merit badge program literature.

According to BSA, meeting with a MB counselor in a mentorship type of situation is preferred over the classroom type setting, and perhaps the SM prefers to follow BSA's recommendations.

There are probably many other factors that a SM may choose to support scouts taking a MB's in a classroom setting, and many factors that a SM may use to decide to direct a scout to a traditional MB counselor. That decision has been entrusted to the SM. It is a decision that should not be taken lightly.(This message has been edited by venividi)

When Helicopter Scouters denigrate "Eagle Mills" MBUs, paper Eagles, and Summer Camp MB classes, we understand they have a valid point.. Standards matter and MBs and ranks should signify something.

But sometimes Helicopter Scouters sound so zealous in this area that it seems as if they think the primary purpose of Scouting is to protect the sanctity of the badges and ranks, most of all, the all important Eagle...

"By God, it ain't right for these miscreants to sully the badge I earned by letting some scout earn it with less effort than I make MY Scouts put into it or than I put into it when I was a boy. In MY day and in MY troop we earned Citizenship in the Community uphill,

in the snow, both ways! Why... just the other day I saw this obvious paper-Eagle, obviously and inferior type of person, that failed to impress me with whatever it was I figured any REAL Eagle Scout ought to have been doing at the moment I observed him!"

They say it's parents who are obsessed with Eagle for their sons... but reading some comments, one wonders if perhaps there isn't a related obsession manifesting itself in projection.

Helicopter Scouters hover over every aspect of THEIR (oops... we mean... the boys') program to ensure that the delicately developing scouts in THEIR (oops agian... the boys') troop don't have their growth stunted by allowing any influences not sufficiently subject to the Helicopter Scouter's control.(This message has been edited by Callooh! Callay!)

I think it is quite a leap from discussing implementing a program that supports the aims of scouting in a manner that is consistent with BSA's program materials to interpret this as "protect[ing] the sancitity of badges and ranks...". I haven't met a scouter yet that is more concerned over protecting badges and ranks than with helping boys grow into men.

There are different views as how to do this, however. In the end, its not about badges and ranks. Those are simply part of one of the methods as a SM's disposal to achieve the aims. The SM is entrusted with using the program to that end.(This message has been edited by venividi)

Vivendi: Yes, quite a leap, beyond the leaps of the African antelope that sprung to Seattle Pioneer's mind. Not a leap any scouters we know would consciously make.

But on missions to drain swamps, alligator distractions are common. It's good to occasionally remind that methods are not ends. And to lampoon helicopter scouter tendencies when they emerge.

Seattle Pioneer: One guesses the antelope sprang 300 feet.

"There are different varieties of Scouting out there. People are entitled to pick the program that appeals to them." That suits fine. Basic standards? Yes. Homogeneity? No.

Ya know seattle........there are some basic scouting skills every eagle should walk away with.

Not sayin they are inferior, just don't have the advertised skills.

Should every scout be able to develop and deliver a 20 minute power point presentation. No.

Should every eagle be able to tie a square knot, build a fire in a timely manner, put up a tent in a timely manner, cook a meal for themselves. YES.

the idea of a Merit Badge University or 12th night or what you will "sounds" good in concept. The offering of merit badges that normally the scout would not have exposure to should be a good thing

If a merit badge event is held for that reason, its a good idea. The issue becomes horror stories of alleged abuses. Scouts who spend an afternoon and have signed blue cards for All three Citizenship merit badges, no prerequisites done previusly.

A class of 30 scouts qualify for the Pioneeting merit badge in a day and when you ask a scout who attended and was given a blue card the next week to do an eye splice they get the deer in the headlight look the same as when you ask where their length of rope they made is.

If a Merit Badge day is done according to Hoyle, heck forget Hoyle, done according to standards then they are a great thing, if they are done poorly, then they are not.

Fair or not, Merit Badge Events do not have a stellar reputation and if you run one and do not want to be lumped in with historical experience you will have to differentiate yourself from the past.

Why do some scouters get medival all over merit badge events? Because when some of us teach a merit badge and hold the scouts in that merit badge to accomplish the requirements as written and then we see scouts who we know have the skill watch other scouts who clearly do not have those skills and never did wear the same badge it tends to wrankle us.

if that is a charactor flaw on our part, I guess I have to own that I am not perfect

I had a friend concerned with the way his troop was creating classes for many of their MBs. The troop would spend one hour on a MB before the troop meeting each week and they were getting 100 percent completion of badges in the two one hour meetings. On his own, he did an experiment with a few MBs where he introduced the MB in short class then told the scouts to call him when they were ready to perform and sign off on the requirements. He found that only 30 persent of the scouts ever called him. And only a third of them completed all the work.

Barry

Venividi,

Sure, a SM can "hold back" the boy if that's what they think is best. I won't even argue with you about whether it is best because you are in a better position to know about your scouts.

I know that in my council, the Merit Badge University is run by very reputable scouters who put on a very good program at a local college. They actually have college professors teaching Engineering, Robotics, Law, etc. to these scouts. When the scouts leave the activity, their adult leader is given a paper that shows who completed which merit badge, or which items are left for the scout to complete that merit badge. Nobody is given a blue card, and all the information is given to the unit, which takes care of turning in any unit advancement reports.

So if you have a scout who wants to participate, what about letting them participate and get a taste of the merit badge training, but withhold merit badge credit? That way they can still meet with a local counselor for individual training, but they still receive the enjoyment of socializing with other scouts, and at least get the base of knowledge that the other scouts are receiving.