The New Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He (the Eagle candidate) does the project outside the sphere of scouting."

Advancement Committee Guidelines, Policy and Procedure, page 27

"All Eagle Scout service projects constitute official Scouting activity and thus are subject to Boy Scouts of America policies and procedures."

Guide to Advancement 2011, page 22

We do not run ESLPs as troop activities. We do, however, as I have noted before, ask the Scout to include a cross-section of troop members in at least one workday. Personally, I attend at least one work day to observe how the Scout leads the project. The rest is between the Scout and the beneficiary organization.

"He (the Eagle candidate) does the project outside the sphere of scouting."

Advancement Committee Guidelines, Policy and Procedure, page 27 "

I can see where the misunderstanding came from. Well, I guess it is clarified now.(This message has been edited by bnelon44)

Scout in our Troop planned and proposed a project at his church's camp up in the Blue Rdige Mts. about 150+ miles away. It was well conceived, roughed out, materials estimated. But when he presented it to the Troop committee, the distance involved was pointed out to him. It really meant virtually none of the Troop could help with it (over several weekends). He decided to pass his plans on to the camp for them to work it without his help, but with their own volunteers. He came up in the next months with an equally worthy (and structurally similar, come to think of it) project much closer to home. Scouts could help.

Approved and approved.