When does a Rank start?

My question I am being asked is about when a rank starts?

Particularly when a boy completes First class requirements but has not had a Court of Honor to present the rank, has his time toward the Star requirements started?

On paper and at the Scout Office, the completion of the rank was not turned in until the Court of Honor. This boy received his 1st Class and Star rank the same night.

I didn't think that was possible. He had been a 2nd Class in my opinion until presented with his First Class rank.

The date of the successfully completed Board of Review for a rank is the date the tenure for his next rank begins.

When the Court of Honor is held has nothing to do with it.

A Scout should never have to wait 4 months (the minimum tenure needed to earn Star), or more, to receive a rank badge he has earned.

The date of the successfully completed Board of Review for a rank is the date the tenure for his next rank begins.

^This.

Ranks/MBs should be obtained and awarded ASAP. Court of Honours are not official presentations and endowments of awards - they are for recognition.

With the exception of Eagle Scout (due to paperwork I dotting and T crossing at National), rank starts the moment the members of the BOR shake the Scout's hand at the end of the BOR and say's something to the effect of "Well done, and congratulations on your new rank". The only thing that would make that process a bit better is if, at the end of the BOR, while handshakes are being proffered all around, the SPL or Scoutmaster meets the lad at the door on the way out of the BOR and hands him his new rank patch.

as others have stated, as soon as the BOR is passed, tenure for S-L-E begins.

Also while you need to wait for national to approve Eagle, they use the date of your BOR on your credentials.

Question: Does Quartermaster and Silver Recipients also have to send the paperwork to national for approval?

"Ideally after the BOR the scout should immediately receive his rank insignia. I know most troops don't do this, but this is a best practice in my opinion."

The fact that most troops don't makes no sense to me either. Why in the world would you want a boy to wear a patch for anywhere up to 6 months that does not represent his true rank? Not to mention the possible limitations it could present a young 1st Class Scout that is forced to wear his 2nd Class rank until BOR. How many things can you think of that have the requirement of at least 1st Class where the only proof a kid has is the patch on his shirt?

'92 --

Yes, QM & Silver also go to National.

BTW - for those that say you can't give a rank patch until you turn in an advancement report -- you can always buy the rank pins, and use those for immediate recognition.

And everyone else has already answered the original question. ;)

Ideally it would be great to hand out rank patches immediately after the BOR but our council requires paperwork to obtain rank patches. So there is no way to have extra rank patches on hand to give out.

How do you get around the paperwork to get the extra patches?

Ideally I would like to give the rank badge out immediately as well. Unfortunately we know that is not possible since you need to turn the paper work in first. I just checked ScoutStuff.org and apparently you can NOT get the rank pins either without the proper paperwork. You can not even get the Webelos Activity Pins in advance.

So much for immediate recognition.

ISRAP,

Back in the day, all advancment and awards: rank, skill awards,MBs, Fifty Milers, etc, were given out at the quarterly COH. We had no problems because we knew who was what. And we never encountered any problems outside the unit either. But that changed with the emphasis on immediate recognition and FCFY.

UC,

Thanks for the info.

Also when I worked for supply back in the day, the rank pins, no not the parent's pin but the larger old school rank pins, were also restricted items that needed paperwork since they are advancment. This caused some "challenges" in paperwork when national decided that the First Class Rank Pin became the official hat insignia for all youth who wore the campaign, and then new expedition hats, irregardless of rank. So for a time, anyone who needed a pin for their hat had to fill out an advancement report for it.

KBandit,

Work around is to buy a few "replacements." Basically you fill out an advancement report, put actual Scouts info on it (i.e. name, rank, date of BOR) and then write "REPLACEMENT" on it. My troop growing up did this because A)sometimes the council office didn't have what we needed, B) we had one or two folks with multiple uniforms, and C) the troop makes a custom table top decoration for every Eagle for use at COHs. One side had the troop patch,the other the Eagle badge, name, and year. We didn't do the immediate awarding of rank though as that practice was just starting when I was a youth.

My pack did the "repalcements" work around, and we have a "war chest" of extra awards and ranks as sometimes the local office is out of stuff, usually late January-mid March. Personal pet peeve of mine is not having rank to give out at a pack meeting, so I have made certain we have extras on hand. We don't go into it unless needed, and use what is backordered to replace inventory.

Yah, what Eagle92 said! Just have lads who are currently Star or whatever go buy replacement/second uniform patches and give 'em to the troop collection. Then yeh just give boys patches out of da reserve, and replenish da reserve when yeh turn in new advancement reports.

Or just buy two for each lad the next go around and tell da staff you require boys to have two uniform shirts just like at NYLT. ;)

B

As a CM, I have no experience with awarding Boy Scout rank, but I have an idea.

It might not work, but here goes:

In our pack, we provide the rank patches. Not sure if the troop does or the scout has to pony up for it.

Anyways, we know that the scout has met the requirements for "X" rank in the last meeting or will by the time we hold the next den or pack meeting. If our DL is on top of his game, he will go ahead and send in te paperwork and have the patch by the time we let the scout know he has earned rank...which might put it at being1 week after he has earned it.

Yeah, I know it's different with Cub than with boy scouts, but 1 week isn't that big a deal.

Granted, we hand out this type of stuff on a monthly basis at pack meetinmgs, but can pass it out at den meetings.

Just a thought.

Like I said, I have no idea if it will work in Boy Scouting or not...but that's never made me keep my mouth shut before! :)