Board of reviews and facebook

Am I the only one here who doesn't have a Facebook account? I'm not planning to get one, either. I guess that's the ultimate security measure: People can't see something that doesn't exist.

So among other things, this means I cannot look at the Scouts' Facebook pages. (Or at least nothing past the front page; as you can tell I am not completely sure how it works.) No offense to anyone here, but quite frankly the idea of looking at the Facebook pages of other peoples' children sounds like a slightly creepy thing to do anyway. Not that it's a good idea for kids (or adults) to put on Facebook a lot of the things they put on there. (Or so I hear.)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ya know......As a CM most if not all of my Cub parents have a facebook account......

It is a fantastic useful tool to keep intouch with them, share pictures and calendars.

I was a naysayer, but after a year of using it, it works, Most people in an urban enviorment now have a smart phone and all of them have facebook apps on their phones. During our last pack meeting the parents had posted pics from the pack meeting during the meeting and I was surprised to see pictures of myself seconds after they were taken posted on facebook.

With that said, change in schedule, just post it on facebook, then call the two people who don't use it. pretty simple.

Same goes for the troop.

some parents expect pictures of outings to be posted during the outings. just sayin.

In the crew I'm in the opposite situation. My older youth are so "FB burnt out" that they are starting to avoid it. Too many friends, too many notifications to wade through, they just tune it all out.

My younger youth, I think, have been encouraged (sometimes from the pulpit) to friend the adults whom they know and trust. They are taught that if they aren't bold enough to use FB with "the whole communtity" there to hold them accountable, they don't deserve to use it at all.

Anyway, so far there's been nothing that boys haven't said on FB that doesn't wind up being said at camp when we can call them on it the minute it issues from their mouths. Obviously, if it happens at camp, it can be part of the BOR. The impertinent FB statuses just help teach the boy that clean and reverent require work outside the meeting room!

I don't have a FB account? Page? Whatever it is called.

Recently my employer came out with a policy that dealt with social media.

Even though I'm not involved in this kinda stuff, I have to admit that having a policy which could or might lead to loss of your job? Seemed un-American.

It's not just kids who seem to forget that the stuff on the web is out there for just about everyone to see and will be out there for a very long time.

I heard from a co-work who is involved with the military that he worked with an Intelligence officer who was posting all sorts of things (Like where she was in Afghanistan!) One her FB pages.

We had a Sea Scout dance (In my day we called it a Disco!) A DJ and that sort of thing. Most of the young people there seemed to spend most of the time with their cell phones in hand taking photos of each other.

How many of these ended up on a social media type page? I couldn't even guess.(Not that anything bad happened -I thought that I'd better add that!)

As a little fellow I made several attempts at keeping a diary.

I think that I wasn't disciplined enough to keep at it and failed after short periods of time. Which was probably just as well. The expectation of privacy when you have an Irish Catholic Mother is less than zero.

I wonder if I had kept at it and had listed all the dumb and stupid things I ever did in it. (It would be a fair sized tome) Then hypothetically lets say it fell into the wrong hands. Telling everyone what a real twit I was.

Would this be fair?

At times I struggle with forgiveness.

I wish I was better at it.

Spending 40 hours a week surrounded by people who have done a lot of very nasty stuff (Murders, child molesters...).

Can sometimes make forgiving hard.

I really do try to separate the person from what it is he has done. Hate the sin but love the sinner?? (Love might be a bit over the top!)

Kids and especially teenagers do a lot of silly and dumb things, it fall under the heading of learning and growing up.

Sometimes it's good that they get caught, if they always got away with everything they'd never learn very much.

Catching them isn't a bad thing.

The tough part is what comes next.

I see nothing wrong with tough love.

We need to think about why we are going to do whatever it is that we are going to do.

If we act out of true love and true concern with the well being of the individual (Not the Troop, District, Council or the BSA.) Then in my book we are in the clear.

Everything we do should benefit the youth we deal with.

Sometimes "No" is the right answer.

Sometimes having a individual face a consequence isn't a bad thing.

I really can never see me cruising the pages of FB to try and catch a Lad who may have done something silly or dumb, just to be able to say "Hey look at me! I caught so and so drunk."

It's kinda sad that I'll bet the person who took the photo and posted it is supposed to be is friend.

If I'd had friends like that when I was growing up and my Mother knew half the stuff I got into? - I'd be dead!

Ea.