Eagle Scout Rank for Adult

*sigh*

1) After having a pretty good time in Scouting, running up the rank ladder for a time, boy gets other interests. Moves on. Makes choices. Accepts results.

2) Years later, makes more choices. Marries. Has son. Son becomes Cub Scout. Boy now Man realizes son can have good time in Scouts, and BnM can be a moving force in son's life and other boys' lives.

3) BnM realizes he shoulda oughta back then, but too late. Or is it...

4) BnM presents "hypothetical" situation to group of anonymous "friends" to glean their reaction, advice: Could an almostmadeEagle BnM reapply for missed opportunity, or not?

5) Some of A/Fs react with disbelief: No, ain't possible. Forget it. Move on, be the Best Scout leader to your boys possible.

6) Some A/Fs say, well you never know til you try. Go for it, but realize it is a real long shot.

7) Some A/Fs discover, the hypothetical case is REAL, and BnM is asking about himself! OOOOO.... he's been deceteful, not fully honest with us. But the facts presented "hypothetically" are true at face? "well, what if this friend of mine really liked this boy, but doesn't know if he likes her? and she wants to know? if he MIGHT like her? but maybe she does't want to ask him? Do you think? that that boy, MIGHT not want to know? that she likes him? 'cause ..."

8) BnM comes clean, admits he was the B in the hypothetical story, apologizes for his ruse, wanted to see if there was any chance, if the A/Fs had any similar experiences and advice. Thanks them (the A/Fs) for the advice, expresses regret for not being totally upfront at first, and says goodbye, haveing been helped by some of the A/Fs and "burned" by some.

9) Such is the life on the internet. Some accept, some answer the question (and no more), some forgive, some point fingers, some want no part of (fill in the blank).

Sounds like humanity.

Goodluck and goodScouting to you and your Scoutson, afscout.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he still has evidence that he completed the requirements prior to being 18 (e.g., a signed Eagle application, signed blue cards, etc.) he or someone should contact his local council office. There is a process that can be followed to get him his award that he earned as a youth.

BP Is this the kind of person you want providing your kids with guidance in scouts ...

So is the Gospel of John the kind of book your parishoners should heed? After all, the guy never once had the spine to say "I, John" in the entire of book. Not much of a saint by your logic.

Bn If he still has evidence that he completed the requirements prior to being 18 (e.g., a signed Eagle application, signed blue cards, etc.) he or someone should contact his local council office.

I guess that depends on the date of the SM conference? Every date, including that one would have to be on 18th-minus-a-day. It would be nice if council's rejection of his app came in writing. Then it would be a matter of the service center making copies and sending it through the appeals process. Otherwise, it's only one-sided testimony that the boy was a victim of an intimidating beaureaucratic glitch.

But, isn't that what defines an Eagle, one who knows the requirements so thoroughly he will defend his right to his award even if a management rule stands in his way? ("Why do you deserve this award." "Because, sir, I have completed the requirements and lived according to the scout oath and law.")

af but he's pretty successful today so I'm sure he would have gotten the recommendations back then.

That's a non-sequitor. Possibly, it was this failure that subconsciously drove him* to be more meticulous and timely in his career.

I wish him* good luck whatever course is chosen.

*oops, "you", before BP castigates me for promulgating falsehood ... :p

Afscout,

Chin up, old man...pick yourself up, brush off the dust, mentally push aside the booing from the stands, and get ready for the next play. Your teammates are depending on you.

As for the busybodies at meetings that want to know the details of why you didn't earn Eagle, or those that flaunt their Eagle, keep in mind they represent a small but annoying part of the total population of Eagles. The same could be said of woodbadgers and OA vigil honor folks too.

Lots of good folks in all three camps (Eagle, Vigil, WB), but it only takes a couple that like to strut around and show off their plummage to get under peoples' skin. The vast majority accept all scouters as fellow brothers and sisters, regardless of experience or awards.

You know best how you want to proceed. Your testimony can be a powerful incentive for scouts to press forward on their personal trail to Eagle, if that's their goal.

We have outstanding scouters at all levels that are former scouts of all ranks. Eagle is a moment in time, and does not give the wearer the right of permanent glory.

I had a Scout who was Senior Patrol Leader the entire time he was a Life Scout. He turned 18 in November and a new SPL was elected.

He was interested in completing his Eagle award, and applied for an extension in time to complete the requirements, mainly the Eagle project.

I wrote the council advancement committee what I thought was a persuasive letter, suggesting he'd had a choice of being an excellent SPL or working on his Eagle, and chose to be SPL.

They gave him three additional months to complete the Eagle requirements, which he did.

Then there was the Eagl COH. I wanted to schedule that ASAP --- the family, including dad who was Scoutmaster, wanted a delay to get the family together. That was in 2007 --- still no ECOH.

I actually e-mailed this guy a few months ago offering to do a Court Of Honor to award him the bade at a district officers meeting, but got no reply.

Perhaps he will get his Eagle awarded to him when his son is in Boy Scouts...

Interesting.

From the BSA Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures for time extensions -

"The petition must show good and sufficient evidence and detail the extenuating circumstances that prevented the Scout from completing the requirements prior to his 18th birthday."

Highlighted in a large red area -

"Extenuating circumstances are defined as conditions or situations that are totally beyond the control of the Scout or Venturer."

Interesting that both your local council, and the National Boy Scout Committee, felt that preferring SPL duties over doing an Eagle Service Project, constituted a situation "totally beyond the control of the Scout"?

Also interesting that both your local council, and the National Boy Scout Committee, felt that preferring SPL duties over doing an Eagle Service Project, constituted a situation "totally beyond the control of the Scout" which prevented him from requesting the extension BEFORE his 18th birthday.

What about all of those SPL's out there that have managed to be both a SPL, and also complete all requirements for Eagle? Including their Eagle Service Project. Were they just poor SPLs?

That's what happened --- he got a three month extension and went on to complete his project and get his eagle in good style.

Perhaps others could both be SPL and complete their Eagle. Good for them. Personally I suspect my letter got him the extension, but I'm just guessing about that. There might have been other letters and other reasons I didn't know about.

Anyway, I'm glad he got the extension

When the younger brother of this Scout was ready to turn 18, the dad again asked me to write a letter asking for an extension. I passed on that one seeing no reason for an extension.

Life is full of regrets...

Like the girl I should have asked to the prom but was too shy; years later found out she really liked me and I was too dense to notice.

Or not joining Boy Scouts when my dad actively discouraged it. (and he was a former scout - Life I think) I should have found a way...even then I knew it was an important decision.

I have a problem with procrastination and have paid the price in lost opportunities, missed jobs, relationships, extra work, and financial penalties.

I counsel my boys to not make the same mistakes I did; to take a chance and also to not wait to the last minute unless something unforeseen happens. At some point you have to move on.

>

So... how is that working out?

Even if children don't make the same mistakes we did, that will just give them the opportunity to make a whole bunch of NEW mistakes! The new mistakes may be worse than the ones you made....

I like to say that people are divided into three groups:

A small group who listens to parents, teachers and such, accumulates wisdom from books and follows the advice accumulated with wisdom and prudence.

The largest group that learns from their mistakes.

Another smaller group that NEVER learns!

I was NOT in the first group....

Seattle,

"How is that working out"

One or two --naturally not my own sons.

Seriously over the years I have had 1 or 2 boys tell me they thought about what I said and acted differently. I take that as a small victory.

I would say your breakdown of the population seems about right.