Eagle Scout Rank for Adult

Let's cut to the chase: the OP needs to have a business meeting with the Council Professional designated the adviser to the Council Advancement Committe and with the volunteer Chairman of same. They have the resources. Mote than that, if they do not support this, it will not happen.

There is the rare exception to the rule, but it takes having an ally at court.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bother.

The successful middle aged man you describe will have long since lived down any regrets over this. He'd find your concern puzzling, maybe patronizing. Sure, he'd thank you and accept it gracefully. But he'd wonder... "Why are they doing this? What's the big deal?"

He knows what he did, and what the experience did for him. He doesn't need the T-Shirt... not at 40-something, with plenty of other shirts in his closet.

Even if he did care about it, back in his 20's, he might have reasonably expected having earned Eagle to earn him some credibility and confidence. But in his 40's, if he's an accomplished or impressive man, he's going to have bigger things going for him than Eagle. And if he's not, Eagle won't help.

If it's for the scouts, as a motivational example, maybe he'd get better results following FScouter's recent advice in this forum to "go take some boys camping."

Well, one never really knows what regrets may linger as the years go by...I met a scouter not long ago, very successful, mid 40s, who stalled out at Life as a scout, and is still kicking himself for it.

John in KC: rock solid advice.

I regret not earning Eagle. I regret not earning First Class. Not my fault; family moved oversea cutting short my scout career. As an adult I have helped over a dozen deserving scouts earn their Eagle and that is better than having the award myself.

That said, I have read a couple of articles about elderly men receiving Eagle. One involved a man who completed all the requirements but left to serve in WW2 before receiving the award. In his case it was really a matter of a seriously delayed COH.

Another was an African American man who completed all the requirements except for one merit badge. He couldn't complete Swimming MB because swimming pools in DC were "Whites Only" when he was a scout and he lacked the resources to go elsewhere to learn to swim. BSA apparently felt this was a valid reason for an exception and granted the award.

I don't think the man in the OP has as compelling a reason for an exception but he can give it a shot if he wants to.

Yes, I was not truthful and it is me that I'm talking about. So bring on all the bad talk about what a rotten scouter I am and how I am no longer qualified to be part of scouting. I deserve it for lying. I thought about just coming about and saying it was for me at the start, but I knew I would get all the *&^( about how I had my chance and blew it. I was looking for advise but also knew that there are a lot of posters out there that love to flame others.

Actually, I was fine with not making Eagle until my son started CS. For all this time, Eagle wasn't a big thing for me as I've done other things that I'm proud of. In fact, I didn't argue with BSA at the time since I was off to the university that was my "long shot" and was in hog heaven. Years later, my son joins CS and I become a den leader. As I went through training, meetings, etc. people were asking why I didn't make Eagle and others were making a really big deal abut Eagle. You almost feel like a second class citizen if you don't have your Eagle. At that point, for the first time in my life I started to regret not getting it so I thought I should ask about it.

I think I do a good job as a leader for the boys, but scouting has also been something that has opened this raw wound that has though a round about course led me to lie to this forum. I guess it's like being a really good bartender that everyone loves, but who is also a recovering alcoholic.

Well, I've done my damage to myself and think it's best that this be my last post to this forum.

For those who are here to help others who trying to be better scouters, keep the up the good work. I learned a lot from you and your advise. Your experience is a true blessing.

For those who are on the negative or have the "holier than thou" bent. People who ask questions are looking for answers to help their program or to be a better scouter. You're negative opinion of them doesn't help. Try to help, not hurt. Tearing down people, especially when they are new to scouting and still trying to figure if this is right for them is the best way to convince them that it isn't.

For my final parting shot: On the wearing of knots issue, I have kept quiet because of the flamers, but here's my 2 cents. People are motivated by different things and while some (especially some of the most vocal of this forum) are internally motivated to do it all for the boys and seek no recognition, others need a little bling to get them on the path until they can reach that internal motivation. For the record, I don't care if there are those who only do things for knots and look like 3rd world generals, if they're doing the job and keeping units open, I can live with it.

Nuff said and out.

Afscout,

Taking off my clown hat for a moment...

Best wishes brother. As I'm sure you know, you'll soon enough be enjoying the satisfaction of having picked yourself up, dusted yourself off and gotten back into the saddle.

Reading your posts, I get the impression of a good man and a great father.

If anyone's done you wrong - your best revenge is to live well.

Afscout

All I can say is you got a heck of a lot of nerve critizing others after lying to everyone here. Your dishonesty tells me you are not fit to be a scout leader or an example for our youth. Since you are so dishonest you can always buy an old Eagle badge on Ebay and continue to perpetuate your dishonesty. Man you really are a head case.

Geez guys. So St. John was dishonest in writing the Gospel in 3rd person? The OP was using a similar device. Just because it confuses us, that hardly makes him dishonest.

My brother's SM left town along with his Eagle paperwork never to be found. This was back in 1960, and it still goads him to this day. My advice to him: "There are a lot plenty of adult recognition awards to be earned." His story is a cautionary tale to all my boys about keeping your own paper trail just in case SM __ is AWOL on their 18th birthday. So please don't take the following suggestion as something from a guy with no personal involvement in the matter ...

Sure, you could talk to your district advancement chair about "rectifying" your situation. But every minute you spend doing that is two minutes (yours and the leader whose ear your bending) you could spend helping a boy become a caring and thoughtful adult.

Appeal to National, if you like. But honestly, your testimony can be of great service to boys who think that Eagle is something they can put off until the last minute. One in five Eagle candidates seem to be in denial that they can squeak by and everyone else will solve their "paperwork" problems. If they don't, they can cry loud enough and everyone will eventually lend them a sympathetic ear. This blog is a testament that this indeed is not the case. Print it up, have it ready for a slacking older scout, and ask him if 15 years from now, how would he like to be "that guy"?

So no one around here has ever done anything they are not proud of? Jeez, there really wasn't any need to be so judgmental!

To OP: I do not know how that would work. I know that I have plenty of regrets that I wish I could go back and rectify, but since time travel isn't really an option, I try very hard to learn from my mistakes, and use them as teaching lessons to young boys in my (temporary) care during scouts. And don't let anyone put you down. It's easy to insult and call names behind the anonymity of the internet.

Keep on doing your best!

momof2cubs

This was not a "mistake" at all but an outright misrepresentation of the facts or more succintly outright lying to this forum. Is this the kind of person you want providing your kids with guidance in scouts, I rather doubt it. Besides this guy got caught in his own lies and beat it out of here, and the laughable part is that he truly believes he deserves to be awarded an Eagle, what a tangled web we weave.

He did not beat it out of here. He could have and he didn't. He came back and owned his error. There's not need to beat him up for it. A scout is honest, yes, but a scout is also KIND. I rather have him teaching my children about errors and owning up to your mistakes than someone who pretends to be perfect at all times.

Let he how is without sin throw the 1st stone...

I will agree with those offering forgiveness & compassion & kindness on this one.

Yes there are lies, and there are lies.. But this was not a lie that harmed anyone, nor one to cover up something else he did wrong. This one seems like it was hiding the fact that this guy is masking a deep emotional hurt.. One he is seeking a solution on how to put to rest, without letting everyone know how much it has hurt him.

Consenses so far on this board is to be forgiving.. I am proud of all you guys who responded with care and kindness.. You can rip into some people when deserved, but you are showing that you can be compassionate also.

But afscout, I do think it is time for you to get over the pain of your past by digging in and being the best leader for your unit, and local community.. Put pride in that. Many, many, many great Scouters have never had the Eagle rank, have never been in scouting.. They all make a name for themselves with what they do now, not what they did in the past.

edited to add: I wanted to comment on something BadenP said. All I can say is you got a heck of a lot of nerve critizing others after lying to everyone here.

I have looked at this OP's back posts, he has never been judgemental.. Asked questions, and gave out information in an attempt to be helpful, but never did he judge or criticize.(This message has been edited by moosetracker)

moosetracker

Read his last post, there is plenty of criticism there. As far as forgiving goes, he is not a "deeply hurt individual" MT rather he screwed up and didn't get the job done for his Eagle when he was a youth. Now 30 years later he feels he is still OWED the Eagle from the BSA, not by any stretch of the imagination is that true. You can feel sorry for him all you want, but he doesn't deserve it. Deceit has its own reward and he has reaped what he has sown.

I have to count myself among the "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" side of this discussion.

I sincerely hope that afscout does not drop completely out of the forum. I suspect that he will be able to make real contributions in the future.

I write as one who stopped advancing at Star rank. While I have some regrets about not pursuing the Eagle, it is a lesser regret. Not having an eagle knot on my shirt has not impaired my ability to contribute.