Eagle Scout Rank for Adult

In my pack, we have an adult leader that completed all of his requirements for Eagle, except for the application. He said that he barely finished his last required merit badge by his 18th birthday, but when he went to turn in his application, he was told that the application needed to also be turned in prior to his 18th birthday. This was back in the mid-80s and he said unlike today,there was not a stated requirement to turn in the application by the 18th birthday. Talking to his wife, she said that he has his merit badge on display and it has all of the required merit badges, she has seen his Eagle project (it's still existing today), and he has his old scout book. I'm not sure if any of his teachers, ministers, etc. are still alive for his recommendation letters, but he's pretty successful today so I'm sure he would have gotten the recommendations back then.

He's one of our most active leaders and a few of are thinking it would be great to get his Eagle (talk about a story for BL or Scouter magazine). Does anyone remember the requirements back then? From looking at my old scout hand book it has the merit badge and project requirements but does not state anything about having the application in or the COH by the 18th birthday. Also, how would I even start looking into getting this done?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

afscout,

The issue of having to turn the application in before the 18th birthday is one that has been discussed several times in this forum. There is no such requirement -- at least not by national. There are some councils -- like mine -- that do require that it be turned in before the 18th birthday. So when you say this requirement did not exist in the mid 80's "unlike today," it isn't supposed to exist today, either. I do not know what would happen if the council refused to accept it after the birthday and someone appealed to national. National SHOULD overrule the council, but whether they would, I don't know. As far as I know, nobody in our council has "tested" it -- the council is fairly good at making this "requirement" clear in advance, so everybody knows about it and everybody (as far as I know) does it. In fact, my son's application received the unit signatures on a Thursday night and his birthday was on Sunday (as in three days later), so I (who works a few miles from the council office) was there on Friday afternoon with the application.

None of this helps your friend, though. What I said above would suggest that IF he had appealed to national at the time his application was turned down by the council, he would have (or should have) been successful. He didn't do that. So here's a question that I do NOT remember being discussed here before: What's the time limit for an appeal? Is it a week? A month? 90 days? (There is a logical reason for thinking that might be the answer.) IS there a deadline? But whatever the deadline is, and even if there is no specific deadline, I find it very difficult to believe that you can wait 15 years. Unless you have a really, REALLY good reason, but short of being stranded somewhere on an iceberg or something, I don't think national is going to want to hear about this at this point.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/28/AR2007072801105.html

"he rediscovered some of his Boy Scout memorabilia, including documents that showed he completed the Eagle Scout requirements. He contacted the Scouts about receiving his award."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700035626/Eagle-Scout-rank-awarded-to-35-year-old-Herriman-man.html

"between confusion over who was qualified to perform his board of review and then his family moving, nothing was ever finalized. Fortunately, he retained the original paperwork over the years."

http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20040807-9999-1n7scout.html

Being told by an adult that you weren't eligible to get the award might qualify as a good reason. Can't hurt to try.

There is a time limit between when you finish your project & when you have your board.. I believe it is 3 months.. We had one scout in our district that went 2.5 months before he turned in his application.. The Council & the Eagle board were in a tissy to get the board done in the next 2 weeks.

I think some have gone longer, if they are away at college or were in the armed services or something, but that required National extending the time.. I don't think an extension will be made 15-20 years after you are 18.

Aside from the technicalities over which everyone else can agonize, I'm of the opinion that he had an opportunity to complete this decades ago. He's not a boy anymore. It's over. Time to be a leader and if he wants to make a contribution, use this as an object lesson so that a BOY might avoid the same mistake. It's no longer all about him.

Moose; I believe you are confusing the project with turning in the application as an 18 year old. There is a 90 day limit after the paperwork is accepted in which they should have their board, then another 90 days with a letter explaining to the local council the reason for delay, such as away at college. After that, he has to file a special appeal through National to have the board. At least that is the way I understand the issue. But it has nothing to do with the project. A project can be done before he even finishes the merit badges; it simply has to happen after he becomes Life.

Wow, Really.

Eagle meant nothing to him for 30 years and now it is ok for him to receive it. Ahhhhh, NO.

IMO it is not ok for him to receive his eagle at 43 years old......IT IS BOY SCOUTS NOT MAN SCOUTS.

I will also continue with some of the finest most deserving scouters I know never earned their Eagle. He is no different from them. Ya know they regret, it every single one of them. But they didn't fulfill the requirements.....the fumes claimed most of them.

I seriously can't believe you think or believe it is right to do such a thing.

The fellow in Oaks story left scouting to join WWII so there is nothing in common with this fellow.

The fellow in the second article had all of the ORIGINAL FORMS all signed off.

As an Eagle scout who followed the Rules and completed my Eagle by by 18th birthday you are slapping me in the face and the 3 million of my brother Eagles.

I will say what you are doing is a selfish act. Award him his den leader knots, he just won't have the red white and blue one.

As an Eagle scout who followed the Rules and completed my Eagle by by 18th birthday you are slapping me in the face and the 3 million of my brother Eagles.

Not to sound insufferable, but 2 million. Your point still stands though. Honestly, if the guy has been doing fine for over 20 years without Eagle, why the desire to get it now?

Guys, the Adult is not looking for this award, the OP is looking to suprise him with the award. And if I am not mistaken the OP is a youth member of the Troop.

Skeptic are you saying you can complete everything to make Eagle, except turn in the application. Sit on your application for 5 years, and then turn it in and then get 90 from when you turn in your application, for a BOR..

We were of the opinion the application had to be at council before the 18th birthday, it even got timestamped when you brought it in, and that stopped the clock.. The BOR could be after the 18th birthday.

When husband got email from the SM who was asking what to do with the application of a scout that was 18 yr 2.5 months, he thought he had already missed the window, but the council said no, but he only had 1/2 a month to turn it in and get a BOR..

>>"Guys, the Adult is not looking for this award, the OP is looking to suprise him with the award. And if I am not mistaken the OP is a youth member of the Troop.">afscout 06/20/10 - "Then high school, band, student council, sports, girlfriends happened and I barely finished my service project and merit badges by the time I was 18. Unfortunately, I didn't know I had to get my Eagle paperwork in by my 18th B-day also."

Moosetracker,

Can you cite chapter and verse on the three month rule between completing project and having board of review?

I know a scout who sort of got waylaid and didn't have his board of review till nearly 3 years afoter completing his project...at 17 years, 364 days.

18 year olds - can have a EBoR up to 90 days after their SMC - providing the SMC happened before their 18th birthday. (And I have seen extensions of up to 30 days on top of that 90 - but those are issued by the National Court of Honor.)

There is no regulation stipulating you must have an EBoR within x days of completing your project.

From the Eagle Application:

"Scouts and Venturers who have completed all requirements prior to their 18th birthday may be reviewed within three months after that date with no explanation. Boards of review conducted between three and six months after the candidates 18th birthday must be preapproved by the local council. A statement by an adult explaining the reason for the delay must be attached to the Eagle Scout Rank Application when it is submitted to the Eagle Scout Service. The Boy Scout Division at the national office must be contacted for procedures to follow if a board of review is to be conducted more than six months after a candidates 18th birthday."

From ACP&P:

"Scouts 18 or older - Scouts who have completed all requirements for a rank prior to their 18th birthday should submit their application and be reviewed and recognized within three months after that date."(This message has been edited by ADCinNC)(This message has been edited by ADCinNC)

Oh I can see the letter attached to this application.......

Dear National Eagle board.

I would like to apologize for my tardiness in submitting my Eagle application. As a teenager, I lost interest in scouting and chasing tail, band, student life and sports were more important than scouting. All though 30 years have past since the application was due date I believe I still deserve my eagle because I am a bear den leader.

BTW, I am not afscouter on scouter.com who spun a false tail about another deserving adult to justify my desire. I did not admit that girls, student council, band, sports and cars were more important to me than scouting.

Yours In Scouting

afscouter

LOL

Have I mentioned adults are the problem with scouting lately.