who can sit on a tenderfoot board of review?

Our troop just had a change of scoutmaster,

we ended up kinda heavy on assistant scoutmasters, they are working to shuffle people around.

so at summer camp last week, my young scout completed everything for Tenderfoot and got his Scoutmaster Conference. For Board of Review, there were too many ASM's there, and only 2 committee members plus my husband who is committee member but couldn't sit on his own son's BOR.

So they pulled in a "regular old parent" (not currently registered as troop committee, used to be a Cubmaster)as a 3rd person for the Board of Review.

Now there is a discussion of whether that is appropriate or not appropriate.

So, since you guys know everything.....

what is the right answer, chapter and verse from the ACP&P?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, you should be lucky to always be heavy ASM's.

The real question is whether the Scout was comfortable to talk to the BOR with ASM's he knows. When they are new Scouts it's hard enough to get them to talk at all.

If the SM completed the SMOC he should be able ready for the BOR.

Besides there's not much to ask a Tenderfoot in a BOR.

Did he complete the BOR sucessfully?

sorry to be confusing, I'll edit the OP to clarify.

No ASM sat on the board of review.

most of the adults at camp were ASM's,

there weren't enough troop committee members to have 3 adults not related to the scout for the BOR.

so a parent sat on the BOR that was not a registered troop committee person to make the 3 necessary adults.

some troop committee members have issue with this and are worried about my son's BOR being official. I'm not worried but would like clarification on the issue.

He did fine on the board of review, his older brother is ASPL so he's used to the troop adults and not scared of the process at all.

Yah, yah, it's a kid's game, eh? Tell your worry wart committee members to get a grip. There is no board of review police.

It's fairly common for units at camp to improvise boards of review, sometimes usin' district folks or scouters from other troops. In fact, it can be kind of interestin' and offer everyone a new perspective, including the young lad who gets to see that scouting is a bigger thing than just his own troop.

Now, no doubt someone is goin' to chime in with something about a BOR should only be registered committee members (except that Eagle, the most important BOR, can have any member of the community ;)). I reckon that since we're open to others at Eagle it's OK to be open to others at lesser ranks if that's what yeh need to make things work right for a boy at the time. In the future, though, I'd suggest instead of grabbing "any old parent" yeh use one of the registered folks around the camp with more scouting experience. Yeh might even get a member of the district or council advancement committee, eh? ;)

Beavah

Having parents that are not registered is not a problem. Having ASMs from another, stressing ANOTHER, troop is not a problem either and I've seen it done.

However what is a problem, and one I wish wasn't, is having a youth sit on the BOR. I remember when it was done, and sat on a few BORs as a PL and ASPL.

However what is a problem, and one I wish wasn't, is having a youth sit on the BOR.

Nuthin' wrong with that, either, so long as da youth is the 4th member. ;) It can work quite well. In my experience youth are typically better BOR members than many/most adults, so long as there is one adult "anchor" there.

Beavah

Scouts don't sit on BORs One of the purposes of the BOR is to ask the Scout how he is enjoying the program, if he is having problems with other Scouts he may be hesitant to bring it up if a Scout is on the BOR.

See the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures, here:

http://bsatroop14.com/advancement/advancementpolicies.pdf

A presentation on the BOR I put together is here:

http://www.bsatroop14.com/advancement/Board_of_Review_Training.ppt

(This message has been edited by bnelon44)

ACP&P says "After a Scout has completed all requirements for

Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, and Life

ranks, or an Eagle Palm, he appears before a board

of review. This board of review is made up of at

least three and not more than six members of the

troop committee"

That's what the troop committee is complaining about regarding the Tenderfoot BOR.

under Eagle it says

"The board of review for an Eagle candidate is composed

of a minimum of three members and a maximum

of six members, 21 years of age or older. The Scout may

have no input into the selection of the board of review

members. These members do not have to be

registered in Scouting, but they must have

an understanding of the importance and

purpose of the Eagle board of review."

but does the 2nd info about Eagle apply to the first info about T21st class BOR's?

I think it should, as does part of the committee,

some think it should not, and point to the document as "proof".

what do you think about that?

The new Advancement Guidebook scheduled to be released in 3rd Qtr will make it clear that if you don't have enough committee members for a non-Eagle BOR, it is permissible to use knowledgeable parents or other adults (registered or not) who understand Boy Scoutings aims. (other than ASM, SM, or Scout's parent or guardian)(This message has been edited by bnelon44)

THIS THREAD NEEDS A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A GRAIN OF SAND ALERT

(he shouts)

BSA, from ACP&P says three members of the Troop Committee, all registered Scouters, no ASMs, no youth. You can find it on the scouting dot org site if you are so inclined.

Is this a hill to die on? NO

BORs are good opportunities to "set the hook" for parents to step up and become Scouters.

Some events, the Committee doesn't answer the call. If the Scout has done the right things, unless we really want to impart a lesson of doo-doo happens, the Committee needs to suck it up, insert ASMs to cover the shortfall, and get the kid throgh the wicket

Scouts on BORs? What Beavah said. Meet the baseline, and if there is a mature young man, let him learn by doing. I see no problem about T or 2.

OK bnelon, do you know when in the 3rd quarter that is going to be? Because as of a few days ago, it's the 3rd quarter. :) And I hope this going to be an actual release, not another now-you-see-it now-you-don't deal (complete with typos and some really shoddy editing that made it fairly clear it was not a completed product.)

Yeah, I think a third parent is fine - the only difference would be whether they signed the form or not. If you want to be all official, have them sign up. If you agree that the "spirit of the law" is what matters, there's no problem. If you're a "letter of the law" kind of person, well, think about whether you'd really want to try to invalidate some kid's rank.