Eagle Palm Scoutmaster Conference

Thank you all in adavance for taking the time to answer my question. I am an active Eagle Scout in my troop, and when I became Eagle I had about 15 extra merit badges. So now I am working towards my Palms. Unfortunately, we had a change in scoutmasters when I was a Life scout. I have a bad history with the new scoutmasters son and the scoutmaster makes it very difficult for me to advance. When I asked him for my Eagle Scoutmaster Conference he put it off for about a month and a half giving me excuses that turned out to not be valid, but I never gave up because I worked hard for this. Anyway, he is doing the same for my Palms... So my question to all of you is can I get my Scoutmaster Conference signed off by someone else? Assistent Scoutmaster? Scoutmaster from another troop? Leaders? Do i need special permission from Scoutmaster or District? anything you guys can tell me to help me out is appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

M. Troylet

Your Scoutmaster will decide who does the Scoutmaster's conference. Most likely himself.

If you try to go around him it will only inflame the issue.

If you have differences that cannot be resolve I suggest moving to a different troop.

Is time a big issue for you right now?

Welcome to the adult world. We should play nice, we don't always don't, and it's often over petty stuff.

I disagree with Neal, up to a point: We don't play nice all the time. It's a good learning experience for you to develop tools which help you work through times/situations where others do not cooperate and collaborate in work (in other words, play nice).

I would suggest not asking for a Scoutmaster Conference, but simply asking for time to talk. Assuming this happens, lay the issue out calmly and quietly. Avoid accusing language ... offer to compromise on your part.

If he defers you (nice words for puts you off/blows you off), ask to visit with the CC.

If that doesn't work, you are still a minor: Ask your parents to formally intervene on your behalf with the CC and Scoutmaster. "Please explain why you will not give our son a Scoutmaster Conference?"

In other words, work the system.

I wish you well.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Time is not an issue but I would like to take advantage of the time I have.. especially considering my advancement is being prolonged. I still have a good year and a half.. but I would like to get at least 3 Palms if possible.

I have thought about switching troops before, but i am not sure if it would be completely worth it since I have already been with this one for so long. Is switching difficult? would all my records be transferred easily?

Switching is as simple as filling in a transfer form, or a new Youth Application, and giving it to your new SM.

Since you have been in your Troop for so long, you must have formed friendships with the other Scouts there. I would think hard before you do this.

Consider trying to make your current Troop work first. Have you talked to the Troop Advancement Chair about your issues?

Good luck.

You have a year and a half to get the three palms you want. With three months minimum between palms you have plenty of time. Time enough to try and work things out with the current scoutmaster.

You have all the merit badges you need but don't forget about the Scout Spirit and leadership requirements.

John in KC is correct. Even in scouting adults do not always play nice.

How big is your troop? How are your relations with the other adult volunteers? Do you know the chairman (chair person) personally?

There are a variety of circumstances where a SM should step back from the advancement process, usually when the SM's own progeny is involved. If this SM cannot be objective towards you, he should defer to another adult leader. This should not present a problem at the district or council level.

I am not sure I would get your parents involved. You do not need anyone's permission to speak to the chair about anything. As an eagle you are expected to demonstrate a level of maturity and an ability to handle your own affairs much as an adult would. If you cannot get satisfication within your troop, then you should definitely transfer to another troop.

John,

I come from a different perspective.

When I was a Scout my Scoutmaster held up my Life rank. As I was approaching 6 months prior to my 18th birthday I insisted on a board of review. Well I got my board of review. The Scoutmaster attended it and told the board of review exactly why I did not deserve the Life rank. That painful experience lasted an hour and a half.

I did switch troops and did get another board of review and did get my Life rank. But had 5 months until my 18th birthday. At the time I had no idea there was an appeals process (or was there? it was the early 80's).

In my case I had no time waiting for adults to play nice. This scout appears to have a little time to reach his goal.

Neal,

Appreciate your perspective. I think the life lesson, especially as Mr Troylet is an Eagle, is valuable and worthy. Given there is time, I think hitting the eject button can be held off a bit. Palms are truly "nice to have" in our advancement system.

Eisely,

As clarification, if Mr Troylet cannot get things done on his own at the SM/CC level, that's where I recommended parental intervention.

To me, the last resort is to change units. From personal experience outside Scouting, learning to work together is vital.

If the troop is good all but this one factor, then you have time to climb the ladder for a solution.

So it would be to

1) talk to Scout Master about his dragging his feet on you SM Conference, if don't get good feedback

2) talk to Committee Chair - If don't get good feedback

3) talk to Charter Org. Rep - If don't get good feedback

4) Switch troops..

Of course if at any level the feedback is so bad you don't want anything to do with this unit anymore, option 4 can always be moved up to item #2 or #3..

Council don't mess up your records by transfering (at least I never heard of it).. It is basically leaving your records as is, but change the unit number that is associated with you.. A Youth application filled out, a $1.00 transfer fee (make sure you fill out the not only the new unit info, but your old unit info in the Transfer from area.)

(edited to add) I was surprised no one else mentioned the escalation up to COR.. Are other peoples COR's unapprochable?.. Our youth talk to our COR's all the time, they routinely sit on the BOR's (they as in multiples over the years, not multiples all at one time)(This message has been edited by moosetracker)

IMO, changing troops at this late date would be a mistake, unless things just go nuclear.

Given the rocky history with the new SM's son, is an apology in order to either the son or the father, or both? Would this clean the slate and give you a re-set with this SM?

Going over the SM may aggravate the situation. While going over him to the CC, COR, or Advancement Coordinator is the correct course of escalation, dealing with the issues up front and personal may be the best way to clear the air.

If this does not work, I would advise changing troops.

Keep working on your Palms. We need more scouts that have motivation and determination like you.

Thanks for saying that Alabama Scouter, and thanks to everyone else for their help. We honestly have tried to get past it, we technically are but it seems that tension between us will always be there. I honestly do not know who our COR is... and our CC does not really show up to anything. We have a very small troop, when I first started is was a good size, but we've dropped in numbers over the years. Thanks in advance for any future help. I really appreciate this.

Just dual register with another Troop, Team or Crew and let them handle your advancement issues. That way you are still involved with your current troop and you don't have the hassle of having to deal with a unreasonable SM. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

You can certainly dual register with a Venturing Crew. I'm not so sure about a Varsity Team (if they are used in your area) and I ***think*** it's one troop per council to a youth member. Check with your council registrar's office to be sure.