Head Professional In Irving Re: Advancement

Out of curiosity, if there is an issue in your council at the council level, why can't the council professional staff and volunteers work their own channels through the area, region and national to resolve the issue? Surely your SE, for example, must be able to get in contact with higher-ups when necessary.

The issue involves the Council Registrar whom I find tends not to the most "trustworthy" of sources. No one at the Council Office will go against him even when he is wrong, which has occurred. Before I challenge him on one of his latest forays I want to know what is what from a source that is not him

Waste of time. National grants a charter to the council and council works independently within their bylaws and national's bilaws. All employees including the registrar work for the council. Registrar issue would be handled by the council advancement chair who is a volunteer, or the council commisioner who is also a volunteer. Lastly the council president who is a volunteer. Even if they don't like it the council is run by volunteers.

hadzulo

Your post is incorrect, the registrar is part of the council staff and is the responsibility of the SE alone, and not any volunteer. The SE is selected by the council executive board who can ask National for a replacement at any time for just cause. The day to day operation of any council is the responsibility of the SE and his professional staff.

If OGE is asking for clarification of advancement policies that come out of National he should contact National for answers. Individual councils are ALL subject to the same National rules and policies.

SE Hires and fires

Evecutive board directs the SE and determines compesation based on national guidelines.

COR's vote for the executive board

Run by volunteers.(COR's are volunteers)

Council Advancement Chair ther person to talk to.

National will not respond. Been their done that.

If your council is not run that way get your COR's active and take back your council.

National does respond to advancement issues, at least to some extent.

When I trained at Philmont, one of the classes offered was advancement, and it was taught by a member of the national advancement committee. He stopped by our class for Scoutmasters for a bit and talked about how to avoid the issues that end up coming to the national committee. He talked about some of the issues he'd seen and how they had responded to some of them.

He was a volunteer, enthusiastic about his position but also very serious about it. He was military, and he treated these items with the attitude you might expect - serious but fair, leaning towards the side of the boy in cases where the adults screwed up. So unless he was totally making things up, I took that as evidence that they did in fact respond to issues.

OldGreyEagle,

I wish you the best in finding out whatever it is that your looking for.

I don't get up your way very often. One September I will make it for the Celtic/ Gaelic Festival -I promise!

So I have no idea how things are done in your neck of the woods.

Here is SW-PA, I can't see me ever arguing or having a run in with our Council Registrar.

She is a very nice Lady, always very pleasant and seems to do her job well. She is very busy at rechartering time,in September after School Night and after Summer Camp when all the MB cards come in. I'm not sure what she does the rest of the year? There is of course adult training's that need to be put in the computer.

But that's kinda all she does.

She is a very useful resource when it comes to rechartering, especially when it comes to Packs. I never seem to remember how many adults go where? Which I sometimes need to know when starting a new Pack.

But Advancement?

Sure she gives Eagle Scout Applications a quick once over to ensure everything is where it is supposed to be: number of badges, dates and that sort of thing.

But she really doesn't know anything about advancement. She just processes the information that she is given.

Some years back I asked if she could check that the blue cards that are turned in were signed by approved MBC's and was informed that "Wasn't her job" And it was up to the District Advancement Chair to check. So I didn't push it!

I don't see what power or what authority a Registrar might have, that needs to be challenged?

Still like I said I'm not where you are and good luck.

Ea.

hadzulo

Time for a reality check, the exec board can only replace an SE if they have reasonable cause, not because they don't like the guy.

Another reality is that in most councils less than 5% of the COR's ever show up to an exec board meeting, and unless there is a major crisis going on they seem to be okay with letting the appointed board make all the decisions. It is the SE in most councils who ask influential individuals to join the board, so guess which way they might vote?

Your scenario, while it may be how it is on paper rarely imitates the reality of what is going on in most councils nationwide, like it or not.