I have searched the forums and I did not find what I was looking for. That said, I am sorry if I missed a previous thread, but here goes. I am interested in supporting a request by my PLC to conduct an Archery Merit Badge session at a troop weekend camping event. I have a skilled and qualified Archery instructor (BSA certified as an Archery range master). My question is can this type of activity be done at a troop camp-out or must it be undertaken at a BSA camp?

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss07.aspx#e

this is what the GUide to Safe Scouting says

Archery and Knife and Tomahawk Throwing

These are approved activities for Boy Scouts and Venturers following the Sweet 16 of BSA Safety

SInce there is no mention of prohibition, then you are allowed to do it. You have your qualified expert, have the range set up as directed and have a good time, I would say have a good safe time but that always sounds oxymoronic, especially when said to youth

The need for doing the Archery MB ONLY at at a Scout Camp is not a requirement. Do diligence with the "Sweet Sixteen", have a qualified (RSO-BSA trained) counselor, a safe range (around here, we have many Archery Clubs and IWL ranges available, camping can be arranged!) and make a good day! However, in my experience, you really can't do the whole AMB in one single weekend. Two is possible, or the weekend with some previous homework or Troop meeting work. Plan your work and work your plan!

Thanks for the reference points and the helpful suggestions. We are in fact planing a meeting night or two to the completion of the merit badge and not putting all our eggs in one basket.

• 2 months later...

What constitutes a qualified supervisor for archery for Boy Scouts?

The "Sweet Sixteen" just says: "Every BSA activity should be supervised by a conscientious adult who understands and knowingly accepts responsibility for the well-being and safety of the children and youth in his or her care. The supervisor should be sufficiently trained, experienced and skilled in the activity to be confident of his/her ability to lead and to teach the necessary skills and to respond effectively in the event of an emergency. Field knowledge of all applicable BSA standards and a commitment to implement and follow BSA policy and procedures are essential parts of the supervisor's qualifications."

Council is saying they need to be certified but cannot tell me what certification they need other than it is provided by the NAA. There are multiple levels of certification that NAA provides.

I've called National and there are going to send me a copy of the pages from the Shooting Sports Manual (which appears to be unavailable). We will see. If this is a real requirement why not put into the G2SS just like the rifle, shotgun and muzzle loading requirements?

My money is on that there in no such requirement for Boy Scouts.

hadulo....My troop for the Bicentennial made a revolutionary war cannon, we made minuteman costumes and even had tri-cornered hats......we pulled it in parades and even fired it......

The absolute coolest shooting camp out ever.....we shot pop cans full of cement at a plywood target a crossed a lake. It was outstanding. forbidden now....I wonder if my troop as a youth was responsible for the line in the g2ss.

Here is what the National Shooting Sport Manual has:

Archery must be conducted by trained, qualified on-site range masters who actually direct the operation of the range program and archery instruction. To qualify as an archery range master, the range master must be at least 18 years old and be trainined by a National Camping School-trained shooting sports director or a USA Archery/NFAA instructor. (p. 73)

• 1 month later...

You should also check with the city/town/county in which you are camping to see if they allow bow and arrow shooting. Many cities ban the use of Archery tackle and equipment within their city limits.

If this was a District or Council event, you would likely need a National Camp School certified instructor in shooting sports, or the Archery USA trained instructor, but Guide to Safe Scouting only requires that you follow the "Sweet Sixteen of Safety," which is outlined in the G2SS book.