Hiking Merit Badge

5. Take five hikes, each on a different day, and each of at least ten continuous miles. Prepare a hike plan for each hike.*

6 Take a hike of 20 continuous miles in one day following a hike plan you have prepared.*

Here is another question about eagle required merit badges.

I am looking at requirements 5 and 6. There is nothing saying Scout hikes. There is nothing about how large or small the group is.

For safety during the summer is 3; winter is 4. BSA??

I do know several adults who hike, backpack & camp solo.

They do not need to be Scout hikes. They do need to be hikes approved by the MB Counselor. Scouts encourage the buddy system, ideally with 2 sets of buddies. I don't recall it being a rule, but would certainly recommend a minimum of 4. That allows someone to stay with an injured member of the party with the other two still having a buddy.

when I did this as a wee lad, the two of us walked 20 from the suburbs to downtown Detroit. When we arrived at the Wayne State University campus, we had lunch in the faculty dining room (my friend's Father was a prof); after lunch he drove us home.

bt01, I have to ask, are you a registered member of BSA? Have you taken any of the training? From your various posts, you don't seem to know a whole heck of a lot about BSA, or any of it's policies.

I do not care how many adults you know who "hike, backpack & camp solo". You NEVER encourage a Boy Scout to go on a 10-20 mile hike on his OWN!!

From the Guide to Safe Scouting

Safety rule of four: No fewer than four individuals (always with the minimum of two adults) go on any backcountry expedition or campout. If an accident occurs, one person stays with the injured, and two go for help. Additional adult leadership requirements must reflect an awareness of such factors as size and skill level of the group, anticipated environmental conditions, and overall degree of challenge.

These hikes do not have to be at a Scout function, so G2SS rules would not have to apply. Even if the rules do apply, I don't think that a hike would necessarily be a "backcountry expedition". In fact, when my son earned the badge, we did most of our hikes at state parks, and those were certainly not what I would call backcountry. Most of the time we had four people, but one time it was just me and him.

Yep I recommend a minimum of 4: one to do first aid and 2 to be runners in case of an accident.

Thankfully a hike can be considered a patrol activity and doesn't need adults.

There are a few instances, such as patrol activities, when the presence of adult leaders is not required and adult leadership may be limited to training and guidance of the patrol leadership. With the proper training, guidance, and approval by the troop leaders, the patrol can conduct day hikes and service projects. Appropriate adult leadership must

be present for all overnight Scouting activities; coed overnight activitieseven those including parent .... pgs 1-2.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416.pdf

EDITED: bold in above is my emphasis.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

I do know alot about bsa policy. Just making sure my ducks are in the row when i deal with the parents, two of them. I have 1 scout that wants to do the badge for eagle. He claims he can or will not do swimming merit badge. (Can not swim??) I do not know how he got to first class.

He also wanted to know if there was any one else taking the badge presenty or in the future, said no. Told him to get the troop involved. This is where the parents came in. One of the comments was the scout could do it as a non scout function and just walk. I said no to that.

I would be much more comfortable to have the hikes be part of a Troop activity.

The problem with having the kid just walk around on his own or with mom and dad, is how do you know he actually did all 5 10-milers and then the 20-miler?

They say hell hath no fury like a woman scorned... but I'd recommend staying out of the way of a mom driven to see her son make Eagle. Little remains in the carnage of her wake... and sadly truth can be one of the first casualties!

I'm really glad my son's merit badge counselor didn't require it as part of a troop activity. Our troop has never done a 20 mile hike in one day, and I can't imagine that there's going to be a plan for one any time soon.

The counselor wanted the written trip report. And he talked with my son about it. You could also ask for photos, or a GPS track, or something else. Or maybe you say you need independent verification and you need a second adult on the trip, worst case.

I can't see any justification for saying that it has to be part of a troop activity.

There's nuthin' wrong with hiking or campin' solo. I do it all the time, it's quite pleasant. Yeh just have to stay within your ability level with an extra margin of safety.

For scouts, though, I'd encourage at least a buddy, and a group of 4 is better.

Now here's another question to stew on, especially for da group that believes in "partial" merit badges which last forever.

Just a bit ago we had a thread on the young lad in Florida who died while taking his 20 mile hike for Hiking MB. It had been a year since the last of his shorter fitness/prep hikes. As a result, he was out of shape and not acclimatized to the heat, factors which seem to have led directly to his death.

So do yeh make your Hiking MB boys do the badge as it seems to be intended, with a series of prep hikes that lead up directly to the 20-miler? Or do yeh allow this extend break from training / "partial" merit badge stuff even though it compromises health and safety?

Beavah

Scout Nut,

Ok, you do not car how many adults I know I have "hike, backpack & camp solo", I never said I approve there actions. I just know where they are coming from. I tell them to have a safe trip & call me when you get out.

Second, I am a registered member of BSA. I am wearing a hat of a Merit Badge Counselor. I know a lot about hiking, backpacking and camping.

Taken training yes!!! Now because everything is on the internet its hard to stay informed. Where I live there is no internet access. I can not pay to put in a 1 mile cable or phone line. I am at a public access computer. You do not need a computer to go hiking.