Merit badge counselors from out of the area

My son's aunt is a hiking merit badge counselor, and his grandfather is a bugling merit badge counselor. Are there any rules against my son using them as merit badge counselors, even though they don't live in our council? For example, if my son went on a 10 mile hike with his aunt, could that count towards his Hiking merit badge?

Thanks so much for your help. I've gotten a lot of information from this board.

The question I have isn't "can he?" but "why should he?"

Nothing wrong with hiking with your aunt or practicing bugling with grandpa. Does it have to be for a scout badge? Couldn't it just be for fun and something you do together? Wouldn't it be great if he could come back to his bugling MB counselor and say "check out what my grandpa taught me this summer" and blow the guy (or gal) away?

I've thought about this too because my son has some relatives who could be MBCs for a variety of things. But I decided that the only reason I'd encourage that, is if there is no way of finding a decent MBC for that badge in our local area. So far, that hasn't been the case.

Still, my son has had a really fun time shooting targets with grandpa, building fires with his uncle, camping with his cousins, fishing with his aunt, etc., just because he knew he could, as a result of his scouting experiences. And I think that's how it works best. But that's just me and your mileage may vary.(This message has been edited by lisabob)

I agree with Lisa. Part of teh MB program is so that they get use to working with adults, folks, folks they don't know much about other than they are an approved MBC by the council, and the SM approved the use of the family member as an MBC.

While there is no, repeat NO, national policy preventing family members serving as MBCs, I am hesitant to recommend the practice. Yes I have seen it abused. Heck I feel uncomfortable signing my son off on his religious award in the DL spot, asking my ADL to sign it.

I think LB has a point, but E92 is probably a little overcautious.

Have your son run it by his scoutmaster. He'll be more aware of local custom. Remember it's your council that reviews Eagle applications. The district advancement chair may have a "rule of thumb" about how many signatures with the same last name would give rise to more scrutiny.

I don't think location will be an issue. The scoutmaster will probably take your word that they are registered in another council.

Years from now when most of us are long gone, your son will look at his sash and say to his son, "Oh this is Bugling Merit Badge, they don't have that anymore with txt msg...I earned that from your great grandfather, he brought out a bugle that must have been older..." Family scouting heritage, seems to be forgotten when Adult Association method is discussed these days.

Moderation, there's nothing wrong with earning some merit badges from competent, scouting-involved relatives. Denying a scout and his grandpa the opportunity to work together to earn Bugling merit badge is just short-sighted. Here's a hint: Think how we can keep the few merit badge counselors that we have. Need another hint: Think how we can lose the few merit badge counselors that we have.

Moderation, family scouting heritage, and adult association. Get Scoutmaster approval and go for it.

My $0.02 from someone who EARNED Marksmanship merit badge from his dad, Mr. Offhand.

(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

Remember it's your council that reviews Eagle applications. The district advancement chair may have a "rule of thumb" about how many signatures with the same last name would give rise to more scrutiny.

The Eagle application does not have a place to list merit badge counselors. At no point in any process does our council or district ever get any list of who has actually counseled which Scouts or which badges.

The council would see who counseled what when they see the blue cards come across the desk of the advancement clerk -- but it's not necessarily recorded. Our council returns the blue cards and advancement forms after 3 months.

I agree, Scouting heritage could be a large part of the reason to learn something from a relative, especially if it's a relative important to the boy and from a distance aways (meaning less time getting to know this person).

Why have boys take Jambo merit badges when they could earn the badge at home? A cool story to tell on how they got the badge, maybe?

steppedonalego - First of all, BSA requires that your son talk to his SM about the Merit Badges he wants to work on. It is the responsibility of the SM to provide your son with a Merit Badge application (blue card), and the name/contact info, of a MB Counselor.

You son should discuss with his SM his desire to use his aunt, and grandfather as MB Counselors.

My question are the aunt, and grandfather, available often enough to be your son's Counselors for these badges? You stated that neither live in your council. Do they still live nearby? Does your son see them regularly? Or would he be working with them only occasionally when he was visiting?

If he would only be working with them sporadically, when ever he was able to visit them, then I suggest he use a local MB Counselor. He can still work with both his aunt, and his grandfather while visiting them. If his local Counselor approves (and I would see no reason for them not to), what he does with them can also "count" toward the Merit Badges.

>>"The council would see who counseled what when they see the blue cards come across the desk of the advancement clerk -- but it's not necessarily recorded. Our council returns the blue cards and advancement forms after 3 months."

What's a Blue Card? ;)

Seriously I had never seen a blue card until I helped the scout shop move. My troop didn't use them. And Council didn't require them for EBORs. Also couldn't that be seen as adding to the requirements, and grounds for an appeal?

Yah, blue cards are just an optional record-keeping tool, eh? Like da meeting plan checklists in program helps.

Seems like in some areas they take on an official life of their own. I think that happens because da local volunteers aren't well trained and one of 'em gets a burr in his saddle about somethin'.

Never could figure out how anybody could read da signatures on those little things, especially da beat up ones from camp. ;)

• 2 months later...

Late to discussion, but with respect to a boy scout working on merit badges while out of town with counselors who are family - I don't have a problem with it, but don't the current regs say that there must be TWO scouts at every meeting with a counselor?

I suppose that could be done if he has a sibling or visits a troop in the area and finds someone to go with him.

The BSA Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures book states that Scouts should use the Buddy System. They should have a "buddy" with them when ever they meet with a Merit Badge Counselor. However, that buddy can be just about anyone at all. Some of the people a Scout can use as a buddy are, another Scout, a parent/guardian, a friend, a relative, etc.

There is no reason the family member cant help the kid prepare for the merit badge; but Id rather not have the boy go to them for the sign off. I prefer keeping family off the signature lines. I know it wouldnt be done by anyone on this forum, but Ive seen some very liberal methods of passing requirements done by parents and family. It happens.

I never signed off on anything for my son, not even a SM conference. While I may have missed out having the talks with him that I had with dozens of other boys, I still had plenty of SM conferences with him throughout his life (and still do as an adult!). He didnt miss out on anything with me, in fact he got exactly what I want all boys to get time with other quality adults that could be positive influences in his life. He didnt get shorted in the least by going to someone else.