Why are current events discussed at an Eagle BOR?

A scout in our unit showed me the letter he got that told him an Eagle BOR has been scheduled for him. I'd never actually seen the letter before and one thing caught my eye.

Here is the language from the letter:

"You must be in full B.S.A. uniform prepared to answer questions about your scouting experiences, the scout oath and law, symbolism of the scout badge, current events and other activities. You should bring your B.S.A handbook."

Just curious... is the discussion of "current events" section common in your areas?

A good citizen is informed...after all, the scout earned the Citizenship series of MBs...world, nation, community. Being conversant about the latest news in those three categories of current events, and able to provide some analysis if asked, and the candidate should do just fine.

BOR's shouldn't include current events quizzes, but ...

It's important to know what's on boys' minds. That includes how they feel about events going on in the world around them.

Some of our boys have shown a lot of insight in both community and scouting issues.

I would have no objection to current event questions, but neither would I worry about them.

Our council guide says:The board of review should cover, but is not limited to, these topics:Scout Spirit - living the Scout Oath and Law in his daily life.

Scout Participation - what has he accomplished in Scouting.

Merit Badges - what they mean to him; his assessment of their value.

Duty to God, Country, Home and Self - what these ideas represent to him and how he's demonstrated his commitment to them.

Eagle Scout Service Project - Although the project idea must be approved before work is begun, the board of review must determine the manner in which the project was carried out. Questions that must be addressed include: Did the scout demonstrate leadership of others?

Did he direct the project rather than do the work himself?

Was the project of real value to the religious institution, school or community group?

Does the letter from the project recipient verify the projects value?

Did the project follow the approved plan? Were changes needed to bring it to its completion?Future Plans - Discuss his Life Purpose Statement; his personal, educational, and Scouting future; his sense of obligation to the Scouts coming along behind him.

I certainly think asking specific questions about "current events" is a bit strange. It would be sort of difficult to really set the parameters for what current events should be brought up. In a round-about way, it might tie into a discussion concerning Duty to Country.

Can't find my advancement guidebook, nor my current council's book for EBORs, yes they created a pamphlet which focuses the advancement guidelines to EBORs and gives a long list of recommended questions, but I do believe current events is a legitimate topic.

I know I was asked some questions on current events at my EBOR, and want tho think that it is acceptable in the advancement guidelines today. If memory serves, it is viewed as part of being an active citizen by keeping informed.

A discussion on current events could involve asking the candidate how applying the scout law could resolve issues, or have prevented them in the first place. Not knowing anything about a particular subject would not mean the scout could not pass.

Personally I would have more of an issue with the being in full uniform but that is a discussion for a spun off thread

The concerns I'd have with "current events" questions are that:

1. A lot of adults don't know enough about current events to have a legitimate discussion. I hate to sound snobby about it, but come on, we all know some of these people. They're the ones who appear on Leno's "Jay Walking" series and unfortunately, there are a lot of them.

and

2. A lot of adults have very strong ideological bents, which may not match the boy's views. I live in an area where there is a solid majority (an over-abundance, in my view!) of social conservatives. What would they make of a boy who took an opposite tack on some current social issue? I can just imagine an inquisition on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" or the union-busting tactics in WI, or health care reform, or gay marriage, etc. And it could go the other way too, for an area where there are a lot of liberals.

So I'd be concerned that "current events" wouldn't mean a quick check to see that the kid is paying attention to the world, and instead would quickly become a political litmus test, possibly based on all sorts of misinformed views (on either side of the spectrum). And of course that has no place in scouting.

Certainly can help give a broader perspective on the scout. On the other hand, the query would need to be very generic and allow for flexibility of opinion. In some respects, such a question would do more to see how the scout thinks, than "what" he thinks. Also depends on the age of the interviewee; think the older ones would likely be better subjects for such searching, as they are more mature, theoretically.

JMHO

Our EBOR often asked current event questions (one per Eagle) and I must say many of the answers are interesting. But I never saw the adults respond in anyway other than just to move on to the next question.

Barry