How do you present the Scout Badge? (The one before Tenderfoot) I can find all sorts of ceremonies from Tenderfoot on, and plenty from AOL back, but not the Scout Badge. Do you just hand it to the young fellow?

In our troop we handle it the same way as the rank badges (Tenderfoot through Life.) At the end of the meeting where they earn Scout, during the closing ceremony, the SPL calls up the boy who has earned the badge (individually, if there is more than one), the boy walks over to the SPL, gets a round of applause, the badge and a handshake. At the next Court of Honor the boy gets called up with his parents, gets the card and a parent pin which he then pins on one of his parents (hopefully without bloodshed.) The boys and parents for each badge or rank (Scout through Life) get called up as a group. If a boy has earned two (or more) badges by the time of the next Court of Honor, they go up more than once, for example if they have earned both Scout and Tenderfoot between two Courts of Honor.

I am sure some troops have a special "joining ceremony", and it is not a bad idea, but we do not do one.

Same way you award all the other rank badges - present it to him as soon as possible after he earns it, and recognize that achievement with a formal ceremony at the next Court of Honor. Simple.

Far too many Scouters have wasted their time writing special ceremonies for each badge, patch, card, gee-gaw and doo-dad out there. Back to basics, people. The Scouts probably aren't listening to those deep, thought-provoking, inspirational words of wisdom, anyway. They want the boring old guy or gal at the front of the room to shut up so they can go do fun stuff with their friends.

Here's a radical idea: Let the patrols come up with ceremonies for awarding rank to their members, and have the PL be the bestower/officiant.

back in the day, when you didn't get your rank until the COH, Scout was given as soon as it was earned, but it was part of our Investiture Ceremony.

The troop formed an open horseshoe while the Scout and PL were at the entrance to the building. SPL and SM had a table with the Scout Law log and 12 candles, and the trefoil with 3 candles. PL had a candle, the "Spirit of Scouting" candle. The Scout and PL would go from the entrance of the building to about 1/2 to the troop where they would be stopped by either the SM or SPL (usually SM but occasionaly the SPL) who would ask

"Who seeks admission to our troop"

PL "A Scout"

SM "Who will vouch for him?"

PL " I will"

SM "Then let him enter."

PL and Scout would then go through the opening in the troop to the table with the SM and SPL. Troop closed the opening.

SM "To formally join Troop____ you will be grasp the troop flag in your left hand, make the Scout Sign in your right hand, and repeat after your PL the Scout Oath and Law."

PL grabs the troop flag, makes the scout sign, and says the Scout Oath and Law SLOWLY not only to allow the scout to say it, but also to allow the SPL to light the Scout Oath and Law Candles.

SM: The Spirit of Scouting is like that candle that lead you into this room. It provided a limited amount of light, but darkness is still all around. But when you combine the Spirit of Scouting with the three points of the Scout Oath: Duty to God and Country, Duty to Others, and Duty to Self, with the 12 points of the Scout Law, it becomes a blaze that lights the entire room allowing all to see and be seen.

Tonite you officially joined the Boy Scouts of America, and Troop _____. You will now receive your Scout Badge, troop neckerchief, woggle, and totem.

The SM would then explain each item with the SPL and PL putting the items on.(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

Eagle92, your experience about waiting for badges brought back a memory.

In the '70s, the Scout badge was presented at the end of the meeting, along with skills awards to those who earned them. Immediate recognition. A few words from the SM welcoming Johnny, encouraging him to keep up the good work. Then scout vespers, a brave attempt at taps by the troop bugler, and the SM's benediction. Then, with the end of structure, complete chaos.

The other ranks? Pass the board of review and settle in for a good long wait for the badge, perhaps several months till the next court of honor. It was tough, but looking back I gotta admit, the method sure guaranteed great COH attendance!(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

After the scouts have their conference with me, I tell the SPL who arranges the presentation at the next troop meeting. He chooses how he wants to do it, but I give him some ideas to start with. I think the best is when the scout's Troop Guide brings him forward and tells the troop he's ready to join, gives him his insignia, and we're done. Here's some we've used in the past:

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/ceremony/new_scout_2-1280.asp

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/ceremony/new_scout-1253.asp

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/ceremony/scout_investiture-1591.asp

The scout also receives his troop numerals, neckerchief, and slide when he completes the joining requirements.

Scout On

>>>>>SM: The Spirit of Scouting is like that candle that lead you into this room. It provided a limited amount of light, but darkness is still all around. But when you combine the Spirit of Scouting with the three points of the Scout Oath: Duty to God and Country, Duty to Others, and Duty to Self, with the 12 points of the Scout Law, it becomes a blaze that lights the entire room allowing all to see and be seen.

For several years, our troop has done an immediate recognition at the end of a each meeting (we have a stock of patches). Then at the spring COH, we have a more formal induction ceremony. This year the SPL wants to present it to the scouts at the first campout, 3 weeks after they earn it. The following Tuesday will be the COH.

I don't like the idea of holding on to the badge for almost a month, but I will support the SPL and see how it goes.

I think it was a standard script back in the day. My troop was formed in 1967, and had used the same Investiture Ceremony up to at least a year after I left. Do not know if they still do, but I hope so.