Invited to Eagle Scout Ceremony

Admin....Not sure if this is the right forum, so if it needs to be moved...

Tonight, while attending our packs den meetings, our COR walked up and handed me an envelope. It was addressed "Cub Scout Master Pack 235" .

No, it wasn't a personal invite, but I get the idea behind it and plann to attebd and show respect to the Scout who earned it.

So here's the thing: I am totally new to this. Never been to an Eagle Ceremony before. This is my first year as CubMaster, so I am not familiar with the tradition or routine of attending as an adult leader of a neighboring unit within the district.

Do I bring a card of congratulations or something similar? Do I bring a gift? Thought about maybe giving a $30.00 gift card to the scout shop, but seeing that he's an Eagle..he may be getting out of it and the card would be useles.

Maybe a gift card to a nice restaurant?

What's the protocal or tradition here?

It seems ok for thread fit to me.

As for tradition...well...there really isn't one that I know of. I've seen many different ways to handle this. A while back, when I had worked really closely with some of the boys starting as cubs and ending as Eagles, I did make personal gifts to them. But I tried to make it personal and if I didn't know the boy that well, I toned it down a lot. In one case, I surprised one boy by giving him my own Eagle bolo tie. I gave another a hiking staff with medallions of some memorable places. One of the SM's I know makes ornate wooden boxes for their medals, customized with inlays of different woods (he's one of those fanatic wackos in woodworking). Another SM does nothing whatsoever, just a handshake.

The Eagle COH is really a family event and if you want to set your mind at ease, give the parents a call and ask them what, if anything, their son might like as a memento. Otherwise, just accepting the invitation and being there to honor his achievement should be sufficient. Relax. Enjoy.

If you do not know the Scout personally, an Eagle congratulations card from your local Scout Shop should do nicely.

If you do know the Scout, then a small gift would be appropriate. I would suggest talking to the parents.

Well, my own Eagle COH was 30+ years ago, so maybe I'm hopelessly out of date.

I might have gotten a few small gifts from close friends or family, but I don't recall it being a major gift giving occasion. But perhaps things have changed. I believe the DE was there, but I don't think there were any other representatives from other units. It's a nice touch that you were invited, and your presence will certainly be apprciated. But I don't think any gift is expected.

I guess the only exception would be is if he is a former member of your Pack. (And that might require some detective work, since the leaders when he was a member are probably gone now.) If that's the case, then a memento from the Pack might be appropriate. After all, he's one of "your" Cub Scouts who made Eagle.

In that situation, one possibility would be a framed collection of the badges that he earned in your Pack (Tiger, Wolf, etc.) along with the Unit Number patches.

And I'm embarassed, because I just realized I should have sent an invite to "Cubmaster, Pack 194" 30+ years ago. :)

Sounds like a little research is in order. If he was a Cub in your pack back in the day, maybe there are some hand written reports from the past that you can go through to find some info on this young man.

Last year, we invited 2 Eagles who graduated from our pack, back to our Blue and gold to speak. In going through those records, we actually found their original Bobcat report that was filed with the District Advancement. We presented those papers to the Eagles' fathers, who also happened to be CM's of the pack, as gifts. Maybe something along those lines?

How about a congratulatory card and have the Pack sign it?

Remember, he's going to be pulled in all directions that night with family and the Troop. Enjoy the evening, and when you get a few moments to talk too him, offer him your Congrats and a little Scoutfish wisdom. He'll probably be a little overwhelmed by everything thats going on (Remember your wedding or graduation, same thing)

Get some contact info from the SM,for this young man, and invite him to a Pack meeting down the road, to share his scouting experience with your boys. You thought you were a rockstar in these kids eyes, wait till you bring in an Eagle that went to THEIR pack. Stand back and watch the fireworks!

Since my troop kinda roasted me at my ECOH, I sometimes go that route, if appropriate. :) So if you got pics of them as cubs, I'd get them copies.

All joking aside, a note of congratualtions is appropriate.

I agree, the boy may have had some connection to the pack, be it a youth member or Den Chief, etc... Find out as much as you can.

Every Eagle Court I was invited to as a DE I would purchase one of the NW Territorial Mint Eagle coins and have it engraved with the date of his COH and that it was a gift from the district. It was a big hit, and pretty simple (and about $20 with engraving).

My son had his ECOH last month. Several people asked when they RSVP'd if a gift was in order. I said no it was not necessary but still many people brought gifts, mostly money. It's up to you if you feel you want to buy a gift, if not a congratulations card would be nice.

Traditions vary. The best advice I can give is to attend if at all possible, and bring a small gift. As the invitation was not personal, the gift need not be, and can be from the pack.

If you pack does annual pictures, write a message like Your accomplishment inspires us to do our best, and have the boys sign the back. Add a nice congratulations card, frame, and maybe a one free admittance to our next Blue & Gold Banquet coupon, and you have the perfect gift pack from The Cubmaster of Pack 235. Eagles, if not ready to age out often struggle to a comfortable place within the troop structure, offer him a Den Chief position if you like the scout.

Be honored be have been included in this scouts special day. Eagle ceremonies can be quite inspirational, and often the young mans character and bearing will serve as a good reminder of why we do what we do.

In the end the call is yours.