Becoming a MB counselor

Been thinking of maybe becoming/ offerning my services as a MBC next year.

Things is, my collective available skills are limited to :

Garage door systems. Been doing this for 16 years now.

Garage doors/ security grills, coil up doors, fire doors, security grills and gate access systems. Also any related remote operation electric openers. Okay, throw in mechanical loading dock equipment too.

I used to be a plumber for about 8 years before working with garage doors.

Before and during both plumbing and garage dors, I was an active Certified Firefighter/ Emergency Medical Technition/ Water Rescue Technition. Did that for around 12 years or so.

Operated 1250 gallon per minute centrifugal pumps, cascade systems ( for refilling air packs, variuos vehicle extrication tools including the Jaws of Life.

I was responcible for not only maintaining all of the above equipment, but also trained others and cghecked them off as to when they would be alowed to operate it.

Father was in the USCG, so I got the tougher home school education in boating and marine safety. Speant all my life next to the water and have owned various boats.

Anyways, I have no idea if this would actually end up being usefull in any related way.

At least in garage dors, there are certain things of a mechanical nature that can related to engineering. A lttle3 bit of math and physics too, although maybe not enough to be worthwhile.

Seeing as a MBC is supposed to be an expert or darn near close, would it be worthwhile or usefull in your opinions?

Be brutally honest please! :)

While having a skill to teach certainly makes for a good counselor, the passion for helping a young man grow through the exercises of learning makes up for a lack of skills. What could a boy learn from a man humble enough to willingly learn along side the boy?

Barry

'fish, did you know there is a plumbing MB?

A few others that seem like possible good fits, based on your description: canoeing, motor boating, sailing, first aid, emergency preparedness, fire safety.

Don't know how you are with cars but there's an automotive mechanics MB too.

Then there are the ones like family life, where there might be a bunch of folks already, but it can't hurt to have another one on the list. (seems like a lot of moms do that one - my son flat-out told me he'd never do that badge with a female MBC no matter who it was).

If you do sign up (go for it!), I hope you'll agree to make your services available to the whole council and not just one troop.

I'll be completely honest: I have no idea what merit badges there are.

Being that this is my first year as CM, I'm pretty proud to get a few den chiefs going...even though the season is almost over.

Never saw a Den chief at our pack in the time I have been there. Talked with the CO's SM and he will bring me a few more if I want.

I told him as long as the boys want to do it, then we wil make it work.

Anyways...that is the most involvement I have ever had with Boy Scouts aside from being friends with one when I was 16 years old.

How can you decide if there is a Merit Badge you want to counsel without knowing what the Merit Badges, and their requirements, are?

Here are the 124 Merit Badges, and their requirements -

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges.aspx

Here is some information on being a Merit Badge Counselor -

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/GuideforMeritBadgeCounselors.aspx

http://www.scouting.org/Training/Adult/Supplemental/MeritBadgeCounselorInstructorsGuide.aspx

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34405.pdf

Read thru all of the above, then decide.

Scoutnut,

Well, it wasn't that I just decided to up teach a particular MB.

But I have come to realize that , I wouldn't mind helping out by being a MB counselor, but wasn't sure if what I just happen to be knowledgeable and experienced in would end up being usable or not.

Seems like I might be more usefull than I thought.

I think every adult volunteer should offer their skills and hobbies to scouts. It costs nothing to be a MB counselor.

There are a handful of MBs for which virtually anyone could counsel:

Collections

Pets

Reading

Safety

Scholarship

Traffic Safety

And others that most folks could do easily:

Dog Care

Gardening

Genealogy

Home Repairs

You may volunteer to be a counselor and never get asked to do it, especially for the more "niche market" badges, such as Flyfishing. I've been ready to do that one for 5 years and have not had a taker yet. :-(

http://ScoutChallenge.com