Units not attending MB clinics

Some we publicize and provide transport. Others, we're not so hot on and don't make a big deal of. We have real reservation about a group of Scouters in our council and this program:

http://www.scoutmasterbucky.com/

Unfortunately PARENTS seek out these opportunities. Since the SM is supposed to assign the Merit Badge Counselor, we have made it a requirement that before the Scout attends OR REGISTERS for an event like this, he *must* seek a blue card from the Scoutmaster. If the Scout has been overusing the clinic setting the SM may strongly suggest he use an individual counselor, not the class setting.

Hey Infoscouter, I was unclear on that website, who exactly is Scoutmaster Bucky? Is this council sponsored?

I must say he has very nice worksheets! LOL And I liked that on some prerequisites, he requires signatures ie if it was a presentation on the troop level, it required the signature of the SPL or Scoutmaster.

However, did I read it right, communications in 4 hours? That doesn't sound like enough time. I am a Communications MB counselor, and the last time we did it, I spent an hour on ways to communicate - just that. Okay, I am a communicating fool! But we spent time talking about things like interpreting body language. In fact, I kept telling one Scout, "I like you Dan" consistently moving closer and changing the tone of my voice. As I got close and gazed at him, he finally jumped up saying "Okay now you are just freaking me out!". It was very funny and everyone got the point.

On the other hand, I can see that 4 hours on coin collecting might work. But then again, I don't do that badge so I might be wrong.

I'm not a fan of MB fairs because they teach troop leaders bad habits, so we as a troop did not participate. However, I also feel it's the scouts choice and I didn't discourage them. But for all MBs, I require the scouts pick a counselor from the troop counselor list, call the counselor to set up their meeting, fill out the MB card, and get a SM signature. If they did all that, and some did, they were good to go.

Barry

We are unclear about Scoutmaster Bucky's relationship with the council. Some of the sessions are advertised on the council web site.

We are in the process of asking for clarification on the program from the advancement committee.

To be fair, they do not sign off on requirements which are impossible to complete in a single session. Scouts are still expected to MC Courts of Honor or campfires for example.

However, we have had a report that a Scout from another troop slept through a session and still got his blue card signed. It is one of the issues which has us concerned.

My son did not attend a single MB clinic. But, I made it clear that he was to meet MBC's at their convenience, not his. He did rely on troop counselors and summer camp. He partialed a lot. There were some times when he effectively earned a MB (e.g., climbing) while on vacation, but never mailed the blue card his SM signed for him to the outfitter! He passed on the badge! He still got his bird. He didn't get it at 15, but I really think he enjoyed the journey.

And, I'm very proud that his Eagle has the same "polish" as mine.

How is withholding information from scouts about available opportunities helping them in any way?

There are a thousand things I can promote. I can promote the new outdoor awards. I can use my limited time with the Scouts to highlight service projects or troop activities. I'm trying to steer the Scouts towards the events that I think will be most beneficial for them and for the troop. I don't have to promote the council camporee, and I'm not obligated to bring to the Scouts every possible opportunity that someone mentions to me. I don't see it as "withholding" information, because I'm not the owner of this particular information. I see it as making an intelligent choice about where to encourage my Scouts to spend their time.

I guess it's possible I could bring all the opportunities forward in a more formal sense, but I don't have enough time to do all the stuff I'd like to do already. I've grown more protective of my time. At some point I realized I don't have to answer the phone when it rings, I don't have to treat my district commissioners emails as a high priority, and I don't have to keep track of all the opportunities that are presented to me.

Back when I was a SM, our troop did not attend MB universities. They were around, but we did not promote or advertise them.

I seriously doubt that a scout would have asked to attend a MB university; if one had, I suspect it would have been because his parents found out about the clinic and were interested in pushing their son to complete advancement requirements and saw this as an easy way to knock out a couple of badges quickly.

If I were approached, I would handle it something like this:

Scout: I heard about a MB University. I would like to go.

SM: What MB's would you like to take?

Scout: I would like to take Citizenship in the Community and First Aid.

SM: Both of those are important topics. They really cant be done correctly in a half day, even if they give you pre-requisites to complete ahead of time. Whenever a scout in our troop wants to tackle Citizenship in the Community, we have him talk to Mr. Johnson. Mr. Johnson is the vice-chairman of the county board. He had a son in our troop a few years ago, and he does a very good job with this Merit Badge. Would you like to meet with him?

Scout: That takes so long. If I go to MB University, I can get both Citizenship and First Aid done in the same day.

SM: Perhaps other troops do merit badges that way, but at our troop, we take pride in doing things right. For important MB's like these, we use MB counselors that we know do things right. Why don't you go talk to Ryan? Ryan just earned Eagle. He met with Mr. Johnson for Citizenship in the World, and told me that Mr. Johnson taught him some things that he hadn't learned in school. I think you will too.

With respect to going over with parents and committee members, this has to be an ongoing communication with them, focusing on the aims of scouting (character, citizenship, and fitness). Have frequent discussions of how the program you are running supports the aims. Make them aware of the benefits of working with individual MB couselors rather than attending MB universities, and relate those benefits to the aims. You will likely still have some parents that dont (or refuse) to understand. Dont let them insist that the program be run counter to your vision.