Camping Merit Badge Req 9a

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm wondering why nobody has asked "Why" there is a limit to just one long term camping instead of just counting 20 days.

I figure that it's because they want the scouts to get variety. Instead of knocking out all the camps at 3 or 4 sittings, you have to go more often.

Kinda under the idea that the journey is more important than the destination. It's not that you went to a campiing spot, but that you went camping alot...at different times and places. Maybe the heat of summer, cool of fall, the chill of early winter and then winter. Maybe the flipping back and forth of spring.

So I'm wondering why nobody has asked "Why" there is a limit to just one long term camping instead of just counting 20 days.

I figure that it's because they want the scouts to get variety. Instead of knocking out all the camps at 3 or 4 sittings, you have to go more often.

Kinda under the idea that the journey is more important than the destination. It's not that you went to a campiing spot, but that you went camping alot...at different times and places. Maybe the heat of summer, cool of fall, the chill of early winter and then winter. Maybe the flipping back and forth of spring.

Scoutfish said:

"So I'm wondering why nobody has asked "Why" there is a limit to just one long term camping instead of just counting 20 days.

I figure that it's because they want the scouts to get variety. Instead of knocking out all the camps at 3 or 4 sittings, you have to go more often. "

That is my understanding as well

If the idea of only one summer camp being a qualification for the camping MB because the BSA wants a more varied camping experience for the scout;

Then, why not limit the number of MB's that can be acquired at a long term camp our limit the number of MB's that can be acquired through a council or district sponsored events?

All in all its a good policy. A troop could get into a situation where the only camping chosen / offered by the scouts is the week long summer camps. It is easier for the adults not to pan monthly outings.

"If the idea of only one summer camp being a qualification for the camping MB because the BSA wants a more varied camping experience for the scout..."

Wait, that is my feeling of why it is, not an actual reason given by BSA. Speculation on my part only.

But, to clear it up, It's not only one summer camp, but being limited to one long term camp being "allowed" to be used in teh total count. Could be your troop goes on a week long camping/hiking trip somehwre on your own.

Could be you have a school teacher who is an adult leader who is off for the summer too.Maybe someone who is retired military or a non working spouse. They wouldn't want this person to take the boys on a 3 week long camping journey and say that you had the vast and varied experiences that 7 or 8 camping trips ( plus summer camp ) could offer.

You want to be able to have the experience of planning for, packing for and heading in/setting up camp many times instead of doing that once for a 3 week campout.

Yeah, the chances of a 3 week campout are rare, but you get my point. The before and after part of camping is also just as important to the scout as teh camping itself:

PLC planning, patrols expressing their interest to the PL who take it to the SPL who takes it to the Sm and/or commitee. Patrols planning meals and PL's planning duty rosters.

Different scouts doing the shopping/aquiring of foods.

The QM having the oppertunity to inspect before/ after and making recommendations to (whoever does the buying and fixing) get stuff fixed and replaced.

Granted, it's the individual scout who earns the Camping MB, but the whole troop benefits as well as the scout does.

Besides, you gain experience through doing something over and over, not just doing it once for a long time.

" Then, why not limit the number of MB's that can be acquired at a long term camp our limit the number of MB's that can be acquired through a council or district sponsored events? "

Well.....that actually has nothing to do with the camping MB. For example, saying a scout can only earn two MB's while at a long term camp. Scout may choose swimming and Rifle. Has nothing to do with or associate with camping MB at all.

The Camping MB is about camping and how often you do it and what you should be prepared for ( finding your way, what to do if somebody gets hurt, etc...) not what activities you actually do at camp. What MB's you work on at camp is a different matter all together.

" A troop could get into a situation where the only camping chosen / offered by the scouts is the week long summer camps. It is easier for the adults not to pan monthly outings."

Two things: While a week of camping at summer camp is definantly better than no camping at all, it is doing the bare minimum of camping and shouldn't be considered enough for a merit badge. You know what I mean?

Earning a MB is the same as saying : "I am profienent in "X" catagory. I can handle my own when it comes to "X" catagory" , not a "I've done that once or maybe even twice." proclamatuion.

And the scouts should be planning the camping trips with some adult guidance - only where necessary - .

I'd be willing to bet that a troop that only camps that one week at summer camp is because of adult planning.