Eagle Ceremony gift (from Eagle Scout to volunteers for project) ideas?

I am having my Eagle Scout Court of Honor soon, and in the ceremonies I have been to, the Eagle Scout gives a small gift (like a pen or flashlight)to everyone who helped with his Eagle Project. Within the past couple months, however, Scouts in my Troop have given pens and flashlights as gifts, so I feel like I can't really give those, otherwise I would be copying them.

Does anyone have any ideas for small gifts such as those that I can give to everyone?

Thanks!

First of all, congratulations!

We didn't have that tradition back when I became Eagle about a hundred years ago (OK, a Scout is Trustworthy, and 1978 isn't quite a hundred years ago) but it sounds like a nice tradition.

I would suggest that you think of something that will remind them of the project in some way. For example, if the project involved digging, then maybe give them small shovels (or pens that look like shovels). If it involved cutting logs, then a small axe (or some novelty item that looks like an axe). Obviously, the value would depend on how many volunteers. If you had a hundred volunteers, then the gift will be a smaller value than if you had five volunteers.

Also, if the project benefitted some particular organization, then maybe a gift with that organization's logo or symbol (maybe along with the BSA symbol) would be appropriate. For example, if it benefitted a state park, then you might want to go shopping at that state park's gift shop, and they probably have items with the name of the park.(This message has been edited by clemlaw)

Some of the gifts I've received have or have given include the following

1) Norman Rockwell print

2) Copy of the 1910 Handbook.

3) framed pictures of me with the scouts.

4) cooler with goodies in it

5)Gift card to an Army Surplus store ( my favorite pace to get camping gear)

But the best, absolute favorite, and most meaningful was also one of the simplest: one of my Eagles got a copy of MY Boy Scout Handbook, the 9th ed that was GBB's, as he knew my original got torn in half and part of it floated down the river. Than meant a lot.

Why would you give gifts? Is it expected? Does it remove the project volunteer status when they are expecting a gift?

Another excess that should stop in my opinion. I know that my troop couldn't afford it.

What happened to just doing it because it is the right thing to do?

just my 2 cents

I don't know why others give gifts, but I can tell you why I gave mine. It was to thank those folks who made the most impact on my life.

I gave a gift to my SPL while I was a new PL. He mentored me and was a role model. It wasn't much, a cooler with some goodies in it for him and his wife. It was my way of saying thank you.

I gave a gift to one of the ASMs who also served as my religious awards counselor. Again it wasn't much, a cooler with some goodies in it as my way of saying thank you.

And I gave my SM a cooler with goodies in it. There was no "Mentor" pin at the time, otherwise he would have gotten that hands down. Part of me wishes I'd given him the dad's pin as he was the closest thing to a dad I had.

But to be honest, nothing, stressing NOTHING, can ever truly could ever truly repay them for what they did for me.

If you want to give them something, and can afford it, please then by all means do so. But don't go overboard. Sometimes the best gifts, are the simple ones, like the photos of you with those mentors, or the handbook from their youth.

On second thought, the best gift you can give to your leaders, is to stay involved in Socuting, and give back to youth, continueing their legacy.

I'm in agreement with basement and John. Simple, handwritten thank you card.

While it's thoughtful to give a thank you gift to a mentor (or two) who had a major impact along the way, I don't think giving gifts to those who helped on an Eagle Project is appropriate. Service to others is supposed to be about selfless giving (remember the story of the Unknown Scout who refused to accept a tip for his service), and that goes for the volunteers who assisted on the project. Doesn't an expected gift defeat the purpose?

Besides, a Scout is THRIFTY.

Buron,

It would appear that everyone reacted according to what was important in their heart. Only you can determine that for yourself. Don't rely on traditions, expectations, or the legalistic wording of what a volunteer is. Do what you think is right in your heart. If you are led to do a gift, great. Look at the boys/adults that helped. Maybe after reviewing that, a EOCH/Pizza Party might be the best thing for you to do. (just a suggestion, on my part)

In my heart, I always consider the person I wish to give a gift to. That would mean that I would need 50 different gifts if I were to consider 50 different people. Otherwise I would rely on the feelings of my helpers with a pizza party where I could gather them all up, fill their stomachs with something tasty and get up afterward and let them know from my heart how much I appreciate their help because without them, this ECOH would have never happened. Surprisingly, your words will be received by each listener in their own way, the goal I was wishing to accomplish in the first place. Then I would "work the room". Thanking each one of those there personally with a handshake and a heartfelt thanks. Including the newbie TF scout that didn't do anything to really help, but at least showed up to give you support of your project. Let him know that someday he'll be doing this too! To me that kind of gift is priceless to that new scout.

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

How about an invitation to the Eagle Court of Honor. Give the Eagle Scout a few minutes to speak. He can publicly thank those who have helped him along the way.

Having helped numerous scouts earn Eagle this was more meaningful than any gift I may have received. As a volunteer moments like that are my "payday".

I'm not completely sure why the Eagle Scout gives a gift (I guess its just a Thank You really for helping the scout through scouting and his Eagle project) in my troop but its something that all the Eagle Scouts have done since I've been there so I do feel obliged to continue it. I have heard suggestions saying to get a gift reminiscent of the project so I might try to think of something along that line. My project was pretty much all painting so not many things there to give but I might can think of something. I'll be going to the Scout Shop soon to look if they have any small things I can give as gifts. Like I said though, its never any expensive kind of gift. Just something small and inexpensive.

Ok reread OP and feel like an idiot as I didn't catch the part about every person helping with the project. That is a new one for me as we were expected to help out if we could.

Now my troop did have a troop totem, and those folks who helped out AND did not receive credit for advancement at the S and L ranks received a yellow bead to be worn on the totem from the Life Scout at the next meeting.

Interesting subject.

Mementos to thank folks for helping. It can be a nice touch, but it's hard when it becomes a "tradition" or "expected". (" what if I forgot someone?" "Howcum he got that?")

Woodbadge staff: I received a trowel (I was a quartermaster),a B-P book.

CSDC: I received (1 year)a bag of skincream/sunblock, (2) a small LED flashlight (3)a lunchbag (4) another lunchbag (5)coupons for donuts/coffee (6) carrabiner keyring (7) insulated travel mug (7) bag to clip on belt to carry (8) a water bottle that I got year before. Wife/CDirector received a nice poster signed by seemingly every DenLeader and Cub.

Summer Camp Staff: Coffee mugs, many.

From Troop I commish: Nice folding lockback knife.

Many times: A special patch.

Eagle Projects: nothing except Pizza for lunch (usually).

NSJ Staff: special commemorative coin handed to me by Someone I Did Not Expect To Meet.

From work: On completion of special projects, anniversaries: umbrellas, a really cheap 35mm camera, a nice embroidered jacket, a set of stainless steel cooking pots (engraved!), a shoulder bag, ballcaps, tshirts, certificates, colorful pins.

I once gave some folks who had helped me with a Scout project each a book by Ernest T. Seton. I bought all the Scoutstore had, just enough.

Burzon,

Greetings!

As I rolled thru and scrolled down. I see my thought was already posted. I'm with Trevorum.

For many Scouts and friends helping on the project. A patch is priceless. For non-Scouts, businessmen, construction companies, and local establishments, a patch is still a great token of appreciation.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv