Wrong Rank and Wrong Advancement

FYI,

Our cubs have the option of wearing blue or green. Most choose green, not just the Webelos, it's economical. Our Webelos program was incorporated into our Scout Troop for ease. They did have different goals. Our ten year old Webelos earned AOL, except this one kid. He earned Tenderfoot and I was told he was a Boy Scout. I am wondering how he became a Scout. Either his mother lied to me about his age, she told me he would be 11 in July 2011. Or, the Troop Master, ASM or our advancement team made a mistake on his age and for some reason did not realize he was only ten. But, there is no need for me to police it. For my own edification I might recheck his age with him or his mother if I see her. Otherwise, I am just going to let it go.

I had been somewhat active in the Troop but not just for my son, I hope to be a good scout parent and am learning protocol. But, I do know squeaky wheel often works, I have seen it here. My energies are better spent fund raising for our troop. I have been somewhat successful.

Thanks for all the comments and direction.

Hmmm.. I wonder who made the BS uniform in a size that fits a Tiger scout, or are these kids swimming in their uniforms with the shirtails & sleeves dragging on the ground until they grow into them??

(just a comment here.. My husband calls the BS shirts green also.. I see tan.. I see green if someone is wearing a older shirt from the 60's or so.. But don't see green in the current uniform..)

Folks,

The original poster is apparently a parent, and it sounds like the Pack and/or Troop her son is in doesn't run everything exactly the way we would, and probably doesn't run everything exactly by the book.

But if that's the case, it's certainly not the original poster's fault, and from the tone of the responses, it sure sounds like we're jumping all over her.

As for the original poster, the Council office needs to enter all of the advancement into their computer, and that record should include the Scout's date of birth. So chances are, if it went through properly, the Scout is the right age, even though, at first blush, it looks like something weird is going on.

As noted above, your son is not eligible for Tenderfoot for a minimum of 30 days after receiving his Arrow of Light. So your best course of action is to take a look at his handbook, and see how many of the Tenderfoot requirements are signed off. If he needs a little nudge to work on one or two of them, that's your main job. But in Boy Scouts, your main job is to give little nudges, which is different from the role you had in Cub Scouts or Webelos. With a few possible rare exceptions, you generally won't be the one "signing off" on requirements.

Thank you Clemlaw!

I am now happy to sit back. I won't see the other scout for ten days or so but will just for fun now, ask him when his birthday is. Living in an inner city, scouts are practically non-existent. Our leaders might be a tad unusual but believe me they play by the books.

In the meantime, I'll focus on ways to bring in funds so our kids can all participate. If anyone has any great ideas please let me know.

oh, and many of our small cubs are indeed swimming in their green pants and tan shirts.

lovethescouts!

May I ask what type of orgnanization charters your scout's unit(s)?

I'm still confused about Tigers, Wolves, and Bears in khaki and olive. Maybe someone got a deal for the uniform closet during the big ODL clearances?

Clemlaw - There are a lot of things worse than having the uniforms slightly mixed up.

Yeah... like a tiny tot with his pants down around his ankles, walking on his shirttails and tripping with every step he takes.. LOL.. I wish this sight could up load pictures.. I would love to see the tiger den in action.. I thought they were only using the uniform tops.. The pants too!!! Oh My!!!

Of course a BS in a CS uniform would be funny, like the incredable Hulk.. (lets just hope the seams don't rip too embarrassment..

There are very few Cub Packs or Boy Scout Troops where I live. My troop is the best, the other options are not a possibility. One Troop is mostly kids from a private School, and I don't want my kid to be THE PUBLIC SCHOOL KID. I remain loyal.

I have learned that we are unconventional in our dress and have a Court of Honor that includes Cub awards. We let our Cubs wear green/tan instead of blue. It seems the ASM or team of Eagle Scouts most likely made a mistake in advancing my son's friend to Tenderfoot.

I've learned it is none of my business. Just for fun, I'll ask Johnny when he is going to be 11, I'll let you know but I'll keep it to myself. According to his mother, he was going to be ten last summer.

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate your time.

Those activity shirts or whatever they were called were tan. I could see someone picking up a bunch when they were clearanced for $3 and using them as uniform shirts with the green pants that were also clearanced. Not official uniforms, of course.