Do you mean one Scout and 12 friends from school, or one person total?

What was in the original, approved proposal? If the proposal was approved with only one person helping?

What were the circumstances which led to there only being one other person working on the project? Did the candidate try to recruit others? What did they do to try to recruit more.

At best, the candidate would need a really good explaination of how he demonstrated leadership.

(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

Yes more details are needed.

I will say this, I had a young man who had some "challenges" with the district advancement chair b/c he only led 3 people in his project, one of whom was his dad. He had to go to great lengths to show that he did try to get more people involved, due to space considerations he had to limit the number of folks in the wood shop his dad had in the back yard, because of age deadline he had to get the project completed ASAP so he used those scouts available, and his dad taught the scouts how to use the wood tools, and supervised them until he felt confident they could do it on their own.

Hiya SPL1Warwick! Yah, I think like others I'd need more background to make any suggestions on how to handle it if this were a real case.

As a hypothetical, though, let me do what I normally don't and just give yeh an answer. ;)

No.

Barring some very unusual circumstance (like he's leading his autistic little brother from the Big Brother's program in doing something particularly challenging which will be a huge gain in the younger boy's development), I don't think yeh can demonstrate the leadership required for the Eagle Scout Leadership Project by leading only one other fellow. I wouldn't approve such a proposal, and if a lad modified his original proposal in that way I'd be hard pressed to approve da project requirement.

I'm just an old, furry, long-toothed fellow, though. :) Others may feel differently.

Beavah

Total there was 3 youth there. The eagle canidate, one scout and a friend. So he was only leading 2 people. There reason the rest of the troop wasnt there was because we were camping which the canidate knew ahead of time that we were camping that weekend. His original plan was that he would have some kids just stay back from camping. and only one stayed back. As far as his efforts to get people involved, because we were camping there wasnt much effort. but the thing is.... he knew that we were camping and why did he have to have it the same weekend. Our camping trip was scheduled first so he knew about it. Keep in mind that this scout threw this entire project in about 3 weeks from start to finish. Let me know what you think!

There is absolutely no requirement that the Eagle candidate use any Scouts at all in his project. He uses as many - people, as he needs to get the job done.

What was the project?

Were there any adults there as well?

well doesnt tht defeat the purpose of an eagle project. A "Leadership Project", to show leadership, and i only imagine that they should be scouts. but the project was to bake bread for the homeless around thanksgiving time. and yes i beleive there were adults there, but i beleive that the adults should not help in an project because they have a tendency of stepping up and leading it expessially because this was the SM son.

A project may be completed using all non-scout help. There's no requirement to work with other Scouts. The candidate could recruit workers from school, church, his neighborhood, anywhere. It's still leadership, regardless of who is being led.

Am I correct in understanding that the project was completed in one day with just three people? My greater concern would be with the overall scope of the project. It's hard to judge without details, but I would be very skeptical of a project which could be completed in that little time. It doesn't seem like much of an opportunity to demonstrate leadership.

But I dont' think we would be doing you any favors if we don't mention that evaluating another Scout's Eagle project isn't usually part of a SPL's responsibilities, unless the Scoutmaster has specifically asked for your input. I'm not sure where you're going with this, but tread lightly.

(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

Very good friend of mine only had 2 scouts help out with his project, his brother and a member of his church's youth group. Everyone else involved was a member of the youth group, both youth and adults. He saw a need in his church, he came up with his project, and got the church youth group involved. part of it was that he wanted them to have some ownership in what they were doing: renovating their gym. Thought that if folks did the work, they would take care of it better.

There are no policies stating that you can only use youth or can only use scouts. One of the things I learned at Brownsea 22 was to 'Use your resources." So if you are doing a construction project, and you have an engineer as an ASM, by all means use him. The key is that the Life Scout must be in charge, and must LEAD. he has to plan it, he has to execute it. Telling your engineer what you want designed and done, and getting his opinion is "using a resource," and OK in my book. Just going up to him as saying how dowe do this, with out any prior thought would be a different story.

SPL1, I agree with Twocubdad, you need to tread VERY lightly. Quality control of Eagle Service Projects in your Troop is not your responsibility. Especially the project involving your SM and his son, who you have a not so happy history with.

From your post, this project was completed around Thanksgiving. By now the paperwork has all been finished, and the Scout should be on his way to his Eagle BOR. Weather or not the project was completed correctly is now in the hands of the EBOR.

Could it be that the problem is that your SM's son has passed his EBOR and you are unhappy with that fact? Are you bringing this up because you do not feel he should have passed his EBOR?

What would you like to see happen here?

I completely understand that it is not my place to judge the quality of an eagle project. I just wanted the imput of others. and no his paper work has not been completed yet nor is he close to a board because he has a couple of more merit badges to do. I just feel as though he is doing the least amount of work possible for an eagle project. I wasnt there the day of the project cause i was camping with my troop so i cant tell you how his leadership was like but i can tell you from troop leadership, he doesnt take inititive. But i guess you guys are right, that only 2 others scouts are fine for an eagle project but it just doesnt seem that you are demonstrating leadership with just 2 people.

Yea, I (the SM) just had a situation very similar to yours.

Scout has a project of collecting items for the needy through a veterans organization. He agrees to make 6 table top size (16" sq.) collection boxes, set them at different locations, collect from them for 6 months, sort and deliver items to the local shelter, hold a fundraiser for the box materials and to purchase items needed but not collected. Great project, he gets approval on his concept.

Six months later the scout has his project final write up ready for signatures. I review it and see the project has changed substantially. Now the project consists of making a 4 collection boxes, setting them out at 4 locations, instead of the scout and his crew collecting now the veterans org. collect, sort and deliver (with no supervision from the scout), there is no fundraiser since now the vets are buying materials for the box construction and no purchasing of needed items not collected.

My questions to the scout were;

1. Do you think this rises to the level of an Eagle project? His answer was yes.

2. How will you show leadership and how many people will be involved in your project? His answer "me and my dad and mom".

I disagreed and would not sign off on the project until changes were made.

My suggestion to the scout was to rethink his project. Involve more people so he could show leadership. Also that he should go back to his original concept, or rewrite the project with at least that much work, if not more.

I also again reinforced my belief that I pass on to all prospective Eagle and that is; you only get to do one Eagle project, make it count. Do something you can be proud of, something 30 years from now when someone asks what you did for an Eagle project you be proud of what you did.

So what do you think the scout did?