Historical Merit Badges - REMINDER

Just a reminder that the four Boy Scout Historical Merit Badges (Carpentry, Pathfinding, Signaling, Tracking) can no longer be earned.

All requirements had to have been completed by Dec 31, 2010.

Remind your Advancement Chairs to get their order in to your Scout Shop as soon as possible.

You don't want to wait, and then find the badges pulled from the shelves.(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

That shouldn't be the case. I have several boys who have been working on these over the past few weeks. When school let out for the holidays, the kids have time to work on them. Of course the counselors are headed in the other direction.

I called the council registrar and she said they had received word from national that they will be able to enter these badges into Scoutnet through March 31.

We've told our Scouts they are on their honor to complete the requirements by Dec. 31. If it takes a little extra time to meet with a counselor and get the blue card signed, okay. We have set Jan. 31 as the deadline for turning in blue cards and our advancement chair can have everything to the Scout office shortly thereafter.

And I don't care if Bob Mazzucca has to get out his needle and thread and embroider the badges himself, every Scout who earns the badges dang-well better get one.

'732,

If memory serves, 4 months as the requirements came out in April. Unfortunately as one who earned a special award that was available for a limited time, OA 75th Anniversary Award, and didn't receive it b/c national ran out of them,from past history once out, they are out. heck you cannot find 2010 Bobcat badges in my neck of the woods.

The Historical merit badge patches have been hard to come by here for awhile now. They get a few in and they're gone. I'm thinking it would be a very bad thing if a whole lot of Scouts earned these MBs and the patches were not provided.

If Scoutnet is going to allow submission of the MBs until a certain date in 2011, then on the day after National Supply needs to make a final order.

At least, that's what I would do.

Hi All,

The word we have in the National Supply stores is that the badges (ranks too) will be available until the end of the first quarter of the year OR until supplies are gone. In my store we have about 300-400 of each merit badge. I knew a lot of boys would finish them off over the Holiday break. My just crossed over son was one of those boys (he got his first MB and it was Carpentry). So I ordered LOTS!!

A brother coucnil in state had a BS day camp to do all the badges between Christmas and New Years.

I'll be more than happy to help anyone get their needed badges, just IM me.

Our council offered all four historical merit badges at our first annual winter camp. From what I hear other council's have done similar things, so I expect a lot of end of year submissions for these. Also, it seems that since Scouting's actual anniversary is in Feb. that these should have been earnable until Scouting's 101st anniversary this February.

John,

In my case, the Wolves knew when the deadline was to get the 2010 Wolf Badge, in my pack's case Dec 27th, but even before that date, try around Nov 29th- Dec 6th time frame, my local council was out of them, and the closest national shop was out of them. I bought 3 of the last 8 Wolf badges at the council shop near my employer for the Dec pack meeting. Now they are out.

And don't get me started on the Bobcat badge, none of the pack's new Cubs got them as all sources were out of them.

I can understand folks getting uspet if they meet the requirements, but national didn't make enough of them. It would be nice if national made a limtied quantity of badges to be sold to those who have not received the special ones, but if the past is any indication, if youw ant the specials, EBAY is the way to go, and be expected to pay through the nose.

I still want my 1990 75th Anniversay OA ribbon! ;)

E92,

You are talking about kids who earned their awards. That is one thing. Supply should put out.

Extending the deadline to earn the award is a wholly different thing. The units knew the deadline months ago.

E92,

Your local folks opted not to order more stock. I got 120 Centennial Bobacats the week before inventory was scheduled to start. I haven't ordered for the New year yet, we re-open tomorrow at my store. Stock will be available around the country if not from NDC directly. It takes some leg work to find what you need, but it can probably still be found.

Shame on your National store staff for my trying other stores around the country to get what you need. That's our job. NDC can tell them exactly who has what and how many (reccords are a couple of weeks old but still usable). I get calls from Florida, Kansas, and New York regularly. I will call them in return. I also use Texas, Alabama, and Louisianna too.