• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Boy Scouts are supposed to be politically neutral. I was disappointed to see scouts at rallies for both candidates. There is always an implied endorsement if scouts show up in uniform.

I don't want people to assume that just because I'm involved in Scouts that I must support one candidate or party over the other.

Campaign ads for Bush prominently displayed scouts and leaders in uniform behind the candidate. I'm surprise that the National office allowed this.

I too noted that scouts in uniform were often strategically placed to be visible in Bush rallies during the campaign, and I too am somewhat troubled by this. While one can expect Bush as a president to be friendlier to the scouting movement, I still question the appropriateness of scouts appearing in uniform at political rallies. National should render some advice on this.

Scouts have ALWAYS been present at political rallies. Do a little research and you will find it is true. This is not new to this election folks.

Most time Scouts appear it is because the candidate or its party asked the local council to provide scouts for the occasion for window dressing, just like kissing babies, shaking hands and improperly displaying the US Flag (thay all do that one)

This has more to do with the candidates support of Scouting than Scoutings support of the candidate.

I agree that Scouting needs to be politically neutral and to the point, I will not discuss politics with the boys. I tell them to read what each candidate has to say and read the opinions of those who don't like either one and honestly evaluate what each has to say. Then ask themselves who most closely supports your beliefs. I do believe that it is important that Scout leaders make it obvious that they do vote and that the boys know that we participate in our nations government activly.

As far as I am aware, National stays politically neutral by allowing Scouts to attend any "legitimate" (ie. those that their beliefs do not conflict with the Scout Oath and Law)political rally in uniform and because I see Scouts everywhere at rallies I don't have a problem with it.

What our presence really shows is that we are training young men to care about their country enough to get involved with the selection of its officers no matter what party they sympathise with. Isn't citizenship and patriotism a fundamental part of our federal charter? It is.

I don't have any problem with Scouts posting the flag and leading the Pledge of Allegiance at a political rally, but it does bother me to see them gathered behind the candidate when he or she is speaking or during other "photo opportunities".

Especially seeing scouts used in advertising for a candidate is troubling.

I don't think the public will see the difference between the candidate supporting scouting and scouts supporting a candidate when they appear on stage together.

I'm a counselor for the citizenship merit badges, and have served as an elected official, so I've had some experience with this issue.

In my heart and my gut it just doesn't feel right to have scouting identified closely with any partisan political position.