100 Years Celebration Patch & Ribbons

Have you earned all the Ribbons? Is your Unit on board? Was it successful?

http://scouting.org/100years/100years/ayearofcelebration.aspx

I am in a cubscout pack as the Cub Master. I earned all five ribbons and many of the boys have as well. This was a Wood Badge ticket of mine. However, many of the Den Leaders decided that it was worthwhile for the boys to work on it before then.

We were pretty sucessfull. However, we basically stopped at the end of the school year last year. Not to many boys kept up with it for the beginning of this School year.

1)

What will be done? Completion of Celebrating 100 Years - A Year of Celebration

Who will do it? Pack 221 Scouters and Cub scouts

Where will it be done? Within the Den, Pack Meetings as well as within the home.

When will it be done? 50%-70% Cub scouts & Scouters should be done by December 2010.

How will it be done? The Den Leaders and Cub Master will assist Cub scouts and Scout Parents as needed. Some will be completed as a Den, Pack or individually. Most requirements will be completed inconjuction with earning current rank within normal advancement.

How will it be verified? When requirements are met per award requirements.

Why will I do it? To celebrate 100 years of Scouting and to promote Leadership, Achievement, Community Service, Character and Outdoors within each Cub Scout and Scouter.

This could have been a problem... as a "leader you can implement the plan, demonstrate leadership, facilitate the implementation" but the outcome or follow thru of other Leaders/Cubs was not under your control and could have derailed your completion if that's how you measured it.

Not saying it wasn't a good idea, it is/was, but as a W.B. ticket councilor I ask the "what if" questions when tickets get fleshed out.

You are correct and those questions were asked.

When the program was published/announced I had forwarded it to the Bear and Wolf Den Leaders. I would become the acting Tiger Den Leader since no one stepped up. The Webelos I Den only had 2 boys and Webelos II were on their way out and had 4 boys. I focused on Wolf & Bear Dens since they made up the Lion-share (pun intended) of the Pack.

They constituted 60% of the Pack. Myself and the Bear Den Leader completed all the ribbons as well. Hence, I used the 50-70% level. That was my Troop Guide's idea since he wanted me not to fail because as you say, under someone else's control.

Because of that, I put a percentage on all my ticket items that needed it.

It was because I already had buyoff from Den Leaders who were working with me on this, the ticket item succeeded. The goal behind doing the patch was two fold and based on the goal of "It's for the Boys".

First: The boys were motivated by ribbons and attained their own advancement within their ranks at that time. (Most important)

Second: It is the 100th Year and when they go for Eagle and even look back years from now, they will have this patch, remember what they did to earn it. Not every Scout or Unit worked to earn it.

There were several Wood Badgers that used this as a ticket item. It was a very successful program/ticket item for this course.

Being that I was right out of being the Tiger Den Leader and became the Cub Master, I needed a few programs to motivate the Cubs. It worked out well. I just happened to get Beads out of the deal.

Thanks for your question.