25 Months to Eagle

I sat on an Eagle Board the other night for a scout that earned his Eagle in 25 months. He said the hardest merit badge was Camping as it was a challenge to get all the camping done.

He joined Boy Scouts when he was 15 and 11 months. For part of his camping requirements he went on the Philmont Rayado. He is also his AFJROTC Unit Commander. It is a wonder he found time to do both.

My oldest joined scouting at age 14 yrs 8 months in January 2007. He will be sitting for his EBOR this January. 36 months start to finish. He also played on a travel soccer team and high school team. He lead a very busy life.

His goal was to complete Eagle in time to include on his college applications. He sent in some apps last week so did not quite make it. It is possible but the lad has to be committed to the goal and look for opportunities to complete requirements.

When he started 3 yrs ago, I though he would quit by first class. Scouting is just not his thing. I am proud that he has gotten this far. He has grown and learned a lot. I am glad he decided to make the decision to stick with it.

We had a fellow in the troop about like that. He had been a Scout in another troop and earned Tenderfoot before dropping out. Joined our troop because several of his friends were there and wanted the extra hang time. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but Second Class to Eagle he had about three week wiggle room. I know when it got down to the wire he was a couple nights short of the camping requirements, so his friends -- all Eagle Scouts by then -- circled up and all went on a couple "patrol" campouts for the remaining nights.

He was one of the finest young men we have had in my tenure with the troop. He served a term as SPL and did a great job.

Our oldest joined at 15years & 9 months. He managed to pull off his Eagle, Ad Altere Dei, Heroism Award, & Ordeal in the 27 months. All this while swimming varsity, member of the Weightifting team, Spanish, German, International Clubs, illustrator for the literary journal, taking honors coursework,volunteering for the county parks, student board member for the village park board, helping teach CCD, & an alter server.

He said the meritbadges were easy, especially if you coordinated your school assignments with the MB requirements.

He had a burnout spell of about three months where he didn't work on MB's, just went to meetings and campouts, some with the Crew he was a member of for about 6 months, where he met his wife in. Paperwork went in the night before his 18th birthday. I think it is easier to achieve faster when they're older & more mature, the younger and being pushed by mom & dad.

If the youth is willing, and coordinate his schedule, anything can be done if they want it bad enough

These outstanding young men have shown what can be accomplished when an individual decides to set and attain a goal. They should be applauded for the collective efforts at achieving their aim.

However, the tone of the post seems to be that the goal was reached in a rather short amount of time. If a scout is in a pretty active troop that does an outdoor activity once a month and summer camp each year he can work through the advancement stages in as little as 17 months. There is a one month requirement for Tenderfoot related solely to the 30 day physical fitness test/show improvement requirement. There is no mandatory time to remain in rank for Second or First Class. Star requires the scout to be active in his troop and hold a position of responsibility for at least four months while still a First Class scout. Life has a similar active/position of responsibility requirement but for a tenure of 6 months as a Star scout. Lastly Eagle requires 6 months active/responsibility and the Eagle project while a Life scout. All of this can be accomplished if the scout is suitably motivated! (I am not saying anything about maturity or actual leadership ability that a scout can or will acquire in the shortest possible time to Eagle, simply that it can be done!)

The real heroes are the guys who cross over from Cubs and remain active until they age out at 18......and earn Eagle along the journey. We've developed that culture to a large extent in our troop and it is really nice to have all these older guys around.

My son sits for his final EBOR next Tuesday when he is 17 years and 10 months. He earned Life at 14. He has held every elected position in the troop, plus served a year as a Troop Guide and is currently a Junior Assistant Scoutmaster. Might have missed one campout per year and attended summer camp his first four years. After that, he staffed summer camp and NYLT for two summers. He backpacked the Pecos Wilderness, Philmont and canoed Northern Tier. He attended the 2005 and 2010 Jamborees and was elected SPL of his 2010 Jambo troop. He just received his Vigil Honor in OA where he is finishing his term as Vice-Chief of Inductions and Ceremonies. He has held two different positions in the Chapter and is on the Chapter ceremony team and election team. Did I mention that he is an honor student and works six days a week to make his own truck payments and upkeep?

OK, I admit it, I was bragging on my boy! ;)

I do not mean to discount the young man for completing it in 25 months. More to show that the time it takes in not the important thing. My guess is that if this scout was 12 instead of 18 there might be a different set of opinions. Each scout is different, and each can be proud of what they accomplish. Even the ones that spend all seven years and never earn Eagle.