I curently have 10 webelos. It is not the boys i feel i'm having problems with, its the parents. Does anybody have any ideas how to keep parents excited about scouting through this transition peirod?

SMK, you are correct in that this is a transition time for the boys. It's also a transition time for the parents. They may be unsure of their roles. You yourself have a large den. Ten boys is borderline for two dens. Add an extra boy or two and I would think of adding an extra den. But that isn't what you asked about. So, keeping parents excited is one of the difficult parts of scouting. That's how we lose many of the boys, because they rely on their folks to get them to the meetings. I would suggest you plan some parent-son overnighters. As you know a parent must accompany their son on an overnight. Plan a day hike with the parents to earn Forester, things of that 'nature'. Send home news letters. You may want to have a parent meeting to ask them what they expect of their son's time in Webelos. You may also want to let them know that this is an exciting time for their boys. Encourage them to help their sons along the way toward AOL and then into a boy scout troop. In a way, you are doing more in the den, so the parents are doing less. Also, by providing a great program, the boys are going to spill that enthusiasm over to their parents. But remember whatever you do, there will always be that parent who is unreachable.

I know with our small (BUT GROWING) pack, I include the parents on the planning sessions & remind them that if we don't have them, the boys can't do much. Remember, keeping 2 deep leadership is good for confined activities (zoos, parks, etc...) but for camping, activities where there is "wandering" (trails, woods, etc...) I like to have at least one extra set of eyes with us.

Good Luck!!!

Our Council has a new program this year dealing with Webelos to Scout transition. They have a staff that deals with this critical time in our boys lives. Contact your council to see if they have a representative for this program. Also get your local troop involved. We brought back a boy scout that used to belong to our pack as our den chief. Fortunately for us his dad is very involved. Good Luck!

FLA_scouter, just a friendly reminder that family camping is for cubs up through Bears. Once you get to Webelos, that's where the boys get to start the overnight camping with an adult family member. I would hesitate to take even our small pack out to the zoo/camping with just two deep. I'm sure this is not how you meant to word it and we have mentioned this in different forums before. (That being, it's difficult to say and word it as we mean to.) However, you are right, it's good to always have an extra set of eyes available. You also have a great idea with your outings. Our October pack meetings used to be a family campfire with skits, songs, etc. with hot chocolate and doughnuts afterward. It's cooold here!

Mike has also pointed out an excellent source of help, the boy scout troop. Unfortunately some packs do not have this option, but for those that do, it's great. The parents see what the boys can look forward to.

In scouting.

As a first year Webelos leader, I was faced with this challenge as well. What I decided to do was to create a sign up sheet for the school year showing each Webelos activity badge section based on the Webelos Scout Leader Handbook and broke them out by month. Within each month I listed the estimated meeting dates.

Then, I had a parents meeting where I told them I couldn't do it all and would need them to take a look at the list, review the different month's activities and then sign up to host at least one meeting, more if possible, in months where they had an interest in the activity. I got very good feedback. Two weeks ago, within Showman, one of the moms, who is a professional singer, hosted the meeting and had one of her bandmates there with instruments, microphones, etc.. It was a ball!. This week, in Craftsman, one of the dads, who is a plumber, is hosting the meeting. Another dad has signed up for two meetings that have to do with Fitness and Athlete. And, so on.

It works on several levels. First, I'm off the hook for four or five weeks, at least. Second, the parents really like it. Third, the boys are given an opportunity to "show off" their homes, their parents and their leadership. It becomes kind of a bonding experience for the den.

All of the above are good suggestions...here's another. Remember, the next step for Webelos is Boy Scouting. Try to hook-up w/a Troop which welcomes Webelos-2 Scouts to campouts. The Troop should encourage some of the parents to come along (some of them will anyway to keep an eye on the young ones). Once they take a look at the 'near future' of where the boys will be going, this can sometimes spur enthusiasm and, before you know it, you'll have parents who are a little more excited and willing to participate a bit more.

Explain to parents that as boy scouts, the boys run the meetings as WEBELOS have each WEBELO plan, acquire materials and RUN 1 den meeting with their parent/guardian. The meeting MUST help the den satisfy at least one requirement for an activity pin. Good practice for each scout and will require parental help.