alternatives for 2nd & 1st class swimming requirements

as the adult in charge of the swimming stuff in my son's troop this is something I have had to deal with.

Unless there is an actual event that has caused this fear - as in PTSD focused solely with water/pools then there is no medical reason... instead it is due to just normal kid fear or transfer from a parent's fear. So if there was a traumatic event get the pshycologist to get it all in writing including cause, treatment methods, and any expectations with timing of overcoming it. If there was no traumatic event then it is time to get the boy(s) slowly into water.

as to teaching them a stroke to keep their head out of the water - this will not work! The requirements do say they have to jump into water feet first in water over their head and that is very hard to do without going under a little.

no with physical disabilities it's up to the doctors, the boy, his parents, and troop leadership. We have 1 scout has extra weakness due to years of cancer and chemo treatment... we held a meeting with the boy and his mom along with CC, SM, AC, and me... the boy wants to complete a swimming requirement rather than switching to a hike/bike. So since his issue is with strength we are have submitted for his alternate reguirement to allow him a kick board to use as needed for him to continue.

Now my own son did have a traumatic event - he nearly drowned when he was 3. by the time he was a web 2 he finally was able to jump into the deepend and swim 15 yds. He spent his first year of scouts swimming and swimming and swimming and was finally able to pass the swim test and even earn his swimming MB

Another scout in our troop never had swim lessons because it wasn't something his family could afford. the boy could float on his stomach and doggy paddle, but couldn't do anything on his back and couldn't do the distance with the doggy paddle. So I took him along when my son was working on his swimming and I taught him the strokes and how to back float and do elem. back stroke and he passed his swim test along with my son.

We do swim tests just a little after cross over - that way we know who can canoe without adult/lifeguards before summer camp. And with those that don't pass I will discuss with them and their parent what they need to work on and if they have no other way to get that accomplished then I work with them. Thankfully we have a YMCA that will let us do the work for free... but it's not deep enough for the actual tests so we go to a different pool for that and they allow us to have the deepend for the tests, but the boys do have to pay the admission to get in, but they get to play after tests so they don't mind that LOL.

>>"But heres the thing the DE and the DFS did not give this SM the answer of NO or Only with written medical proof of a disability.. Instead they came to my husband and said, It is your decision on what you wish to do as an alternative, or if you wish to do one.. This makes is seem like it is not as cut and dry as you all make it out to be."

I realize my husband or other family members are not trained Psychologist and can make a professional determination as to the boys condition. They can though work with them and determine if they themselves are making any successful strides towards improvement, or are not any more successful then anyone else..

Thanks for the written info. Husband took on the job this spring, and the BSA Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures book that you quoted from was no longer being sold, and the new changes have been held up with everything else they have pulled off the shelves. I will pass that on to my husband who can pass that on to the DE, DFS & the SM.

Moose,

Google is a really wonderful tool. It took me all of 3 minutes to find two different versions of ACP&P online!

Here's what is at the BSA website. It's the 2009 edition:

www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33088.pdf

Here is what a someone put up on his own. It's the 2008 edition:

scoutmaster.typepad.com/2008AdvancementGuideBook.pdf

Depending on the issue swimming may not get them confident to get their face wet.

As stated I have the same fear, I can shower, wash my face, swim with confidence. In fact at a beach I prefer the deep, swimming as far as the buoys will allow. In a pool I prefer the deep where it is normally less crowded. I will go out in a motor boat and get out in the middle of the lake and swim with no life guard and no shore in site.. When a teen I swum across a relatively small lake as a personal challenge of my fears. Yet I will never put my face underwater on purpose. When my face accidentally goes under, I still suffer from a panic attack.

These guys will have different issues I am sure, and as stated it may not be due to a tramatic experience and just a childish fear.. So with them confidence of swimming may work, some of the other ideas of attempting to practice with a face cloth or sink of water or whatever may work depending what is causing it.. Then again it may not.

My husband having dealt with me and the illogical fear I have when I can confidently swim, something he knows will never get any better then what it is, is probably what is making him question how far he can be successful in improving someone classified (if not by a professional, at least by parents & SM) as having a phobia..

Well the holidays are making email communication slow for a response.. It will just be a wait and see if the fear has been professionally diagnosed, or if the parents want to go that route, or accept my families offer for help.

When I was a scout i did not pass the swim test until I was 14, then just barely. It then took many trys to pass lifesaving. I am still afraid of the water and only swim when they need an adult to go canoeing. I made Eagle by 16.

Watch the film "Boy Scouts of Harlem" It touches on the topic nicely.

Every boy has challenges. Some its their parents, some its swimming, some personal organization, some dedication to sports, some ADD. Just something they need to try and overcome. Parents need to back off and let their kids deal with it.

Failure is a good thing sometimes