Second Class Requirement 9a

In fact, DARE was cut years ago in my area and probably won't be returning. Another concern is that the statistical evidence regarding DARE's effectiveness is iffy. In an era of budget cutting, programs that sound good but don't show solid evidence of working, are always at risk. Frankly, I don't think DARE is likely to make a comeback, as a result, however well-intentioned it might have been.

Once DARE was phased out in our area, one of the ASMs started doing an annual workshop for the scouts who needed to fulfill this requirement. Several local churches run programs as part of their youth ministry, too. In most cases, they're open to any youth participating, not just church members. Maybe something along those lines will work for you.

We had an officer from our area Narcotics Task Force come in and present a program - complete with a Power Point presentation.

State (Drug Enforcement Agency) and large metro agencies are the best resource.

Call your local Sheriff's office. There are almost always at least one officer who is trained in narcotics.

You could use the Choose to Refuse pamphlet from the BSA in troop meeting.

it replaced the Take a stand against drugs pamphlet.

Our council gives them out free, the Webelos book has it as part of the Fitness badge, but the pamphlet is aimed at boys older and younger than 4th grade.

sometimes scouts in the troop come in and help with the webelos dens when they discuss the drug and alchol abuse prevetion stuff--that goes over well, or it goes over poorly depending on how prepared the scouts are.

At a recent camporee, I spent a while helping to park cars in a too small lot with a police officer from our town, who also happens to be on the K-9 drug sniffing dog team.

He told me that the K-9 drug dog teams loved doing programs for scouts (boy scouts, cub scouts, whatever) because it was important for the dogs to work well even when surrounded by tons of confusing boys, weird smells, etc. My concerns about the boys freaking out the dogs was exactly the reason they relished such opportunities for the dogs. So, their presentations are as much a benefit to them as us.

I wonder if there is a K9 drug dog team in your town that would actually be anxious to help give an anti-drug presentation.

I know boy scouts aren't big on this kind of "dog show" as cub scouts, but it might be an easy way to knock off 9a for a lot of boys and also be a very interesting night for the others.

My son's former troop did several programs with the local K9 team for a while. They were a huge hit with the boy scouts of all ages. When the dog later had to be put down due to a medical problem, the troop attended the service, all boys in uniform, to pay respects. I was amazed at how many boys attended.

So yeah, I think the K9 team idea is a good one and could make a meaningful connection between the boys and police.