New one on me - Eagle Scout project destroyed

"John Groden had finished his Eagle Scout project in the nick of time. And then a fire destroyed it.

Scouts arent eligible for the distinction after their 18th birthday, and Groden, a Glenview resident, will hit that milestone on Friday. He completed his Eagle project, the refinishing of eight wooden Glenview Park District benches, Saturday afternoon.

Hours after he finished reassembling the benches, his project went up in flames. He and other volunteers had been working on the benches in the park districts maintenance building at 1100 Roosevelt Road, which burned to the ground that night.

Hes a kid that really worked hard on it, and all he has to show for it is some photos, said Andy Jackman, scout master for scout Troop 57 out of Our Lady of Perpetual Help.

An investigation into the cause of the fire, which left five firefighters injured and rendered the building unusable, is ongoing. But no matter what answers surface, the loss of the benches will remain devastating to Groden.

Groden could not immediately be reached for comment. Jackman said he joined scouting in about 2004.

Planning for the bench project, Jackman said, began about five months ago.

These benches were probably 50 years old, he said. They were extremely weathered and had been damaged by kids on skateboards.

They were made of purple hardwood, a rare wood these days and similar to mahogany. After taking them to the maintenance building, Groden and his crew stripped about a quarter inch off the surface, revealing their purple color, Jackman said.

Over three weekend days, Groden and his group of helpers about 15 to 20 people each day treated the wood, brushed and sanded the metal, and worked to make the benches look as good as new.

Around 2 p.m. Sunday, Groden assembled the final bench. Jackman snapped a photo of him sitting on it.

After the fire broke out, Groden was devastated, airing his frustration on his Facebook page, Jackman said. The 17-year-old worried that without the finished product, he would no longer be eligible to become an Eagle Scout.

The things that went through his mind were, Was I responsible? which he wasnt and, Why me? Jackman said.

But, Jackman said, Groden is still eligible. He and Jackman are scheduled to have a conference about the project Tuesday, and his application will be finalized this week. A meeting with the Eagle board of review will take place in the next three months."

http://triblocal.com/glenview/2010/11/08/prospective-eagle-scouts-project-destroyed-in-park-district-fire/

If the question is weather this project meets requirements, it sure sounds like to to me, and he should have no problems getting Eagle.

If you are describing how a Life Scout's project went up in smoke, it can happen. best project one of my troop's scouts did was a reforestation project. Took about 2 months making wire guards to protect trees from a critter called a nutria, and another 2-3 weeks in a swamp plating trees. about 5-6 months after planting, all the trees were eaten up by the nutria, all that remained were the guards.

Although I am happy the scout still qualifies for the eagle project being completed. What is a shame is they were irreplaceable.

We had a scout in the area, about a day away from completion of a project, vandels came in and destroyed the whole thing.. Well you would not believe the amount of volunteers that came out from other troops and the community to rebuild what was destroyed.. The scout was able to complete his project due to the outpouring of community spirit to right a wrong.. I am sure what the scout learned from that project due to the vandelism was twice more then if the project had gone as planned..

But yes, the poor scout was devestated also, until the calls of volunteer support started pouring in. They finally had to turn some of it away.

The same could have happened here had the project not been considered completed, Unfortunatly that rare wood would not have been replaced, and all they could have done was replace the benches with modern day style benches.

That's a sad story and really too bad. However, he should have no trouble with his rank. He put in the work, even if there is little to show for it. At least it was an "Act of God" that had his project meet its fate.

A friend of mine when we were scouts planned and executed his Eagle project for the city's parks department. On the north end of a lake park in our hometown, he devised a plan to build a shelter belt of trees along the northwest corner of the park. After all the work, the trees (small sapplings from 5 gal buckets) stood for all of three years.

Three years later, a new parks department superintendant decided to OK the plan to build a little league field in that corner of the park. The bulldozer tore up the 50+ trees that had been planted 3 years prior to make way for right and center field. Its a great little ballpark, but everytime I'm back home, I wonder how that park would look if those trees had been allowed to grow over the past 25 years.

Hope the kid gets his Eagle - sounds like he deserves it.

Dean

The requirement states that the boy needs to do a project to show leadership. It doesn't mean he hasn't shown leadership if the project is not completed.

I had a boy clean up a park and finish just before he turned 18. Okay, got his Eagle. But the Park/Rec that was supposed to maintain it, didn't. He has now championed his project to the point where the city went in and re-cleared the park putting it back to where the scout had it, THEN they plowed it level and reseeded it! He has petitioned the city's mayor to turn it back over to the Veteran's groups in the area that started the park 40 years go and couldn't maintain it. He has relentlessly continued to seek funds to put in park benches and tables. Is his project done? Did he get his credit for Eagle? Has he shown enough leadership? Did I create a monster, Dr. Frankenstein?

Being an Eagle means more than just showing leadership in a project for credit, it means doing it for the rest of your life, even if you don't need it for credit.

So, what's the boy going to do now? Is everything over, or does the park still need benches? Maybe a real Eagle Scout can roll up his sleeves and lead even if he's not getting any credit for it. :)

Stosh

Wow. I can't imagine the disappointment he must feel. However, I agree with all who say it is not a problem in terms of the requirement. It's the Eagle leadership service project, not the Eagle construction project, even though few projects seem to not involve treated lumber to some degree.

I personnally think that he has completed the project and shouyld get the credit. after all you do have a picture of him sitting on one of the completed benches.

As for the question of what to do for the park. The wood that you are refering to is called 'Purple Heart Wood' It is a very hard wood and is very heavy. It is also VERY Expensive.

Although the youth may have finished his project, maybe there could be a future project to replace these benches. It would take a lot of fundraising, but it is something that if the community knows, you probably would get a lot of support. You can find many vendors for the lumber online.

Hope this is a learning experience for all. Sounds like he worked so hard on the benches.

My only concern would be the benefactor signing off in the project workbook. If the benefactor didn't see the finished project before it went up in smoke, he could only sign off by trusting that it was done. If I were the benefactor and he had been taking photos for documentation, I'd sign it in a heart beat.

My son just completed his project this past Sunday afternoon. He totally removed a rotting plywood and shingle roof down to the support columns on a pavillion in a Camp Fire USA camp and replaced it with a new frame, rafters and corrugated steel roof as well as painting the structure. It took one Saturday and two Sundays to complete. The ranger never came and visited while we were working. As soon as the final nail was driven, my son was on the phone calling the ranger (lives on property) asking if he could come inspect. He signed his project book then and there.

I agree that the only concern is the signature of completion by the representative of the project beneficiary. Even without that signature, I would be inclined to go forward and request a board of review. There are plenty of witnesses to the work being done, photographs, and publicity regarding the fire to allay any concerns by a fair EBOR.

Scout on bench - http://triblocal.com/glenview/files/cache/2010/11/Scout.jpg/460_345_resize.jpg

On http://triblocal.com/glenview/files/cache/2010/11/CT-GlenviewFire61.jpg/940_705_resize.jpg you can see the burned-out metal frames from the benches all lined up.

If those frames aren't ruined, wouldn't it be cool to replace the burned out wooden slats with oak and have 8 reborn benches?

Steel may not burn but it does lose strength from extended exposure to high temperatures. Hence the collapse of 8 World Trade Center the afternoon nine eleven. Of course, the noted metallurgist, Rosie O'Donnell has a different view of that incident.

But I digress...

I would be reluctant to use any steel components salvaged from a fire. Such steel needs to be recycled, re melted, and made into something new.

Nope - no question implied - There should be no doubt that this lad has earned Eagle - and I would be shocked if the Glenview Park District didn't bend over backward to make sure this lad get's the Eagle he deserves. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Executive Director of the Park District, if not the President of the Park District Board, wasn't on the phone with the Scout Executive the very next morning.

Just thought it was an interesting story to pass on.

Mn - Thanks for the further digging - I was hoping someone had published pictures of the benches - those benches were beautiful - John and his team did a great job in restoring them.