It takes a unique individual to obdain the silver. I know of one recipient in our entire area, and he is turly a unique individual. Still looking for that youth in my crew or troop who's ready to take on four "eagle caliber" conservation projects.

The biggest reason so few Scouts earn the bronze and silver medals may be for lack of knowing about them, says Frank Reigelman, the BSAs director of camping and conservation and a Hornaday Awards Committee adviser.

Nah, the biggest reason so few Scout earn these awards is that no one seems to know how to go about doing it.

Yes, I've read the web site. I've asked the district and council advancement chairmen about it (they're clueless). I've spoken to the guy who is supposed to be the council Hornaday coordinator. Actually, on mutiple occasions, either I or the couple of Scouts with an interest in Hornaday have approached the guys and I've NEVER gotten past "I'd love to discuss that with you." I had an adult who offered to serve as the Scouts' counselor (very well-qualified to do so, professionally) and he couldn't crack the code. I even made a point of going to the Hornaday booth at the national jamboree. While the guy there was very enthuasistic and had lots of info about how his council did things, the best info he could offer me was to read the web site and talk to my council advancement chairman.

Apparently, the hardest thing about earning the Hornaday is getting straight information about the program.

for the medals, 18 months is not an unusual time period for the total project. Each separate project is to be about college level including the analysis, time for feedback and corrective action. If one project involves forestry, it is more than helpful to have the state forester for the proposed area monitor & signoff on the project. Similarly, if the project involves anything with wildlife, it is helpful to involve the state's fish & wildlife dept. or a similar person in a non-profit wildlife group.

The short-term conservation projects required for the various conservation merit badges are simple child's play in comparison.

Well worth doing.

• 8 years later...
On 10/22/2010 at 1:30 PM, jr56 said:

My son did the work for a Silver Medal, the awards committe awarded him the Bronze. Still a notable achievement.

Does anyone know if once a scout earns a Bronze Medal may they reapply for the Silver Medal after completing another project?

On 5/12/2019 at 5:22 AM, Summitdog said:

Does anyone know if once a scout earns a Bronze Medal may they reapply for the Silver Medal after completing another project?

My understanding is that no, once the bronze is awarded a scout cannot then reapply after doing another project....but I could very well be wrong about that (and I kind of hope I am, because it seems rather harsh.

The Blue Ridge Mountain Council has an amazing council guide to earning the Hornaday awards.  In it, they say...

"Scouts who do not meet the stringent requirements of the Silver Medal may be awarded the Bronze Medal. These Scouts may not re-apply for the Silver Medal using any of the same projects for which the Bronze Medal was granted."

If they're right, then yes, your scout could re-apply with another project.   

Do you know which of the 4 initial projects was deemed not quite "up to snuff"???

See:  https://www.glaacbsa.org/files/23421/BRMC-Hornaday-Guide-8-18-pdf 

36 minutes ago, jr56 said:

They didn't say.  My son was very honored to receive the Bronze Medal.

As he should be.

The bronze medal is a VERY significant award.  It means he's essentially done 3 Eagle projects (probably more, since the Hornaday projects I've seen most scouts doing are harder and more time-intensive than your typical Eagle project).