eagle project review question

Wouldn't want to go through that again, although I think I lost interest about page 3.

But I don't see why this approval would wait for the scoutmaster conference. Indeed, that could cause problems in units with high leadership turnover. If the scout completes the project under Scoutmaster Able and does his conference with Scoutmaster Baker or Charlie shouldn't it really have been Mr. Able that signed that the project was complete? The first Eagle conference I did was with a scout who had completed his project 2 or 3 years before, and then had been AWOL until his 18th birthday was looming. I barely knew the young man, much less had any memory of his project.

Yeah, I guess I need to clarify what I'm asking about. What is new to me is the boy having to make a second (post-troop committee) formal presentation of his proposed project to the district committee, in order to get that district or council signature. This isn't something I recall ever hearing about before.

Where was the 1st presentation?

Ed -

1. Scout presents (fleshed out, detailed) project proposal to troop committee

if approved at that level, then

2. Scout presents proposal to district committee

if also approved at that level, then the scout can proceed to actually do the project.

Mind you, I'm not complaining, judging, carping, etc. I was only a bit surprised about the second step because I remembered this as being purely a troop function. However, I can see where this additional step ensures some quality control across troops in the district.

Lisabob,

The presentation to the Troop isn't a formal presentation. This is where the Scout gets a lot of the bugs out before he presents his project to the next level. And actually, there doesn't need to be a presentation at that level, either, unless the district/council wants one.

We used to have the scout do the presentation at the monthly committee meeting. But it made the meetings very long. So we started having the scout present during a troop meeting like he would for a BOR except that instead of three MCs, any committee member that wants to can sit in.

In our district there are about six people that can approve the projects. The scout does not present to the entire advancement committee, just to the one committee member. It does streamline the approval process, as the scout can generally get the approval without having to wait for the next advancement committee meeting. However, there is some inconsistency between the members.

I don't have any problem in principle with having the scout make presentations to committees at either the unit or district level. Actually preparing and giving a formal presentation would be a valuable learning experience for the scout.

The biggest difficulties with this are dragging the process out over time and making more demands on the time of adult volunteers. Our district relies on a single adult volunteer to review and approve the projects. There is an alternative volunteer available when the designated district volunteer is not available.

(This message has been edited by eisely)

I can go back 30 years and there has always been a requirement for someone from the District to review and approve the project before it could be started on, but there has never been any formal presentation required. When I was on the Eagle Review committee we just got a copy of the project write up and looked over it and either contacted the boy or his SM if we had any questions. That is still the way things are being done in our Council. Once approved at the Troop level the boy contacts the District Advancement Chair who tells him who his Eagle Project Counselor will be and then it's between the boy and the Counselor.