Shooting Merit Badges

The 2010 requirements for both merit badges are listed in the 2010 Boy Scout Requirements book. Rifle Shooting has not changed since 2002. Shotgun Shooting has not changed since 2007.

Even if there were to be new requirements issued in 2011, if the Scouts start working on the merit badges now, under current requirements, they may continue to use those requirements to complete the merit badges.

I asked some more questions, and from what I was told. In the new merit badge requirements the scouts, I believe the guy said, it was ether the NRA First steps, or the NRA Basic course that the scouts have to take to do the new merit badge. If this is true then they make it the same requirements threw out BSA. I believe that this is a great idea. The more gun safety training a youth can get the better it is for the youth, I believe. Is there any way to check if this information is correct or not?

If true, that makes it harder and more costly.

IMO, gun safety can be taught without having to use an NRA curriculum and materials.

Just looked at the GtSS online, no changes jumped out at me.(This message has been edited by Eagle1973)

Wingnut, by making it harder, I meant there would have to be more coordination, more planning, ordering material from the NRA, 3-4 hours of boring classroom material, etc. Harder for the MB counselor, not Scout.

Then the question is does the MB book have the same information, order, terminology etc etc of the First Steps Course? Why should the Scout have to do it twice?

My goal on the range is to get the Scout pulling the trigger as soon as possible. Horseplay, because Scouts are bored would be bad on a range.

Eagle1973

NRA Rifle/Shotgun/RSO