Cycling MB vs G2SS for Cycling

I am the Troop Cycling MB councilor - 1st time for a Scout to pursue this with me.

I just noticed something when working with this Scout on the cycling MB.

In the Online Guide to Safe Scouting - Bicycling Activity

Step 12. Planning

Plan both the route and timing of bike trips to avoid heavy traffic and hazardous conditions. Biking is unsafe on wet pavement and on windy days. Plan for at least hourly rest stops and a maximum of approximately six hours on the bike per day.

In the current Cycling Merit Badge

Requirement 9. After fulfilling requirement 8, lay out on a road map a 50-mile trip. Stay away from main highways. Using your map, make this ride in eight hours.

50 miles in 8 hours is 6.25 miles per hour (no rest stops - exceeds G2SS for time on the bike)

50 miles in 6 hours is 8.33 miles per hour (room for 2 hours of rest stops along the way).

(I know either speed is not beyond even a non-geared street bike for a flat road).

So, would you interpret that like this?

To observe G2SS and to complete the Cycling MB requirement for the 50 miler .... getting it done in less than 6 hours (on the bike) with no more than 2 hours (off the bike) of rest stop time to stay in the 8 hour window?

I plan on asking him what his plan is and will ask more questions from there.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

I've done this MB with boys before and I don't remember that 8-hour part. I might have overlooked it or just forgotten but we did the 50-miler fairly easily within the 6 hour time frame, the two boys who actually completed the MB stopped when they thought they needed to and took a nice lunch break at a park. We had a lot of fun and in fairly hilly terrain at that. One boy broke his chain on one steep climb and we did a roadside repair. One rest break on the side of the road had a local member of a hunting club yelling at the boys not to stop on the side of the road at that location (within the right-of-way) or he'd "take action". Nice guy. We moved on. But we had some good laughs later on.

It's doable either way.

I would take it to follow the merit badge requirements. Merit badges are usually worked on alone or with a buddy.

In the G2SS, under the title of BIKE SAFETY, it states "The following guidelines and procedures apply to BSA unit, council, and national program activities". This means that the rules relating to biking are to be followed at scouting functions. Individual activities are not covered under the policy unless you were to plan it as a troop activity.

Another conflicting case was the Cub Scout Horseback riding beltloop which could be earned by Tiger through Webelos. However the G2SS stated that only Wolf and above could ride horses. Beltloops for Cubs are like Merit Badges to Boy Scouts, they are not part of normal scouting activity unless specifically planned that way.

Yah, none of da bicycle stuff in G2SS is boldface policy, eh? It's just a compendium of guidance and advice, which has to be adapted to your local circumstances and experience. IMHO da cycling stuff is poorly developed compared to other sections, and has not been revised on a regular basis.

Treat it as rough guidelines, follow da Merit Badge requirements, and use your own judgment about the skills the lad has, the terrain in your area, the quality of his bike, etc.

There's a reason why you're the MBC, eh? Yeh have the experience and local knowledge to make judgments like this.

Counting the number of times bikers have been shown on wet pavement or trails in Scouting Magazine or Boys' Life over da years is left to the reader ;). I don't know of any units that have run longer bike trips that haven't at some point biked when it's wet or windy. That should probably read "is more challenging" rather than "unsafe". Just da way camping in the wind and rain is more challenging than the dry and sunny. Point is to know the kids' skills and their gear.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Also, consider that -- all other things being equal -- moving a unit is more arduous than moving a couple of boys. (Ever try to bike slowly to accomodate a novice rider? Even after a couple hours every muscle in your body will be screaming at you!)

I love the concept of "the Troop XXXX Merit Badge Counselor." ;)

Where and when did people get the notion that MBC's could only be attached to a troop?

The whole concept of MBC's is that the boys, with a buddy, reach out and contact adults who are not familiar to them. This was to teach the youth how to properly conduct themselves with adults.

If all the MBC's they ever see are ASM's or committee members of their own troop, they are missing some of the best learning experiences.