ECOH and Adult Eagles and Uniforms

I think it's a great idea. Wear the uniform!

My son is the sixth Eagle in our family. For his ECOH all the Eagles (and a few more) arrived in uniform, wearing their Eagle medals. I know a few of the guys are no longer active and likely weren't registered. As Ed says, who cares! Having all the uncles and cousins together, in uniform, was a special thing for the family. And I know the many folks in attendance were moved and inspired. One young boy in the troop told me his grandfather is an Eagle Scout and he wants him to be in his Eagle ceremony. Of course, a number of parents commented as well.

Symbolism is important. All those guys could have stood there in blazers and slacks and still would have all been Eagle Scouts. But in uniform, the symbolism of the importance of Scouting in our family was unmistakable.

Let's don't get so wrapped around the axle of policy technicalities that we forget the big picture.

For special occasions I have seen a lot of military veterans drag out their old uniforms and put them on. They are no longer in active service to the country, but I'm thinking they have earned the right to wear it in a dignified and honorable way.

Anyone who has earned Eagle kinda fits into this same category for me at least.

Stosh

Last year I lost one of my long time ASM"s to cancer. At his memorial service all the Eagles from 3 years ago that knew up showed up with at least their uniform shirt on and their Eagle badge pinned to it. None of them were actively registered anymore, but I was proud that they dressed the way they did to show their respect of him. In this case and the Eagle COH I wouldn't say a word.

"Variation a previous question: Should a Life Scout, etc. not fall into the same category ... wearing the uniform for special occasions? What's the difference? "

I guess it gets back to what we have always told our Eagle Scouts: "Once you achieve this rank you will always be an Eagle Scout as opposed to those that didn't who can only say they were a Boy Scout".

It's just a matter of perception.

It would seem to me that the biggest tribute a scout (Eagle or otherwise) can give to a deceased scouter is to be active in the Program the deceased dedicated time to.

Wearing a uniform or trinket of time spent in the program may be remembrance but not a tribute

May an unregistered youth or adult wear the uniform? No.

Can an unregistered youth or adult wear the uniform? Yes.

It never ceases to amaze me that folks ask questions, the correct answer is given and then others chime it that they would ignore it.

My sons have "aged" out of the youth program - they are 18 and 20. Both have earned the Eagle rank. Both worked at a Scout camp this summer. I told them that if they expect to wear their uniform, they better register. They did.

A uniform should convey the following: rank (if youth), position (youth or adult), council, OA membership, etc. No "false advertising" should be encouraged.

I understand that that many would like to do things that are not "allowed" but that "making ethical choices" should kick in at some point.

At an ECOH, the emphasis should be on the Eagle Scout, not the speakers.(This message has been edited by acco40)

I agree with ACCO, emphasis on Scout, not adults.

Now I want to throuw a little Coleman fuel on this fire: is there an appropriate time for a registered member or leader to NOT wear the uniform at an ECOH?

I know the answer, but wanted to start a nice, long campfire to cook some Jiffypop. To bad Trail's End deosn't make it as it is great stuff for a campfire. ;)

Eagle69 wrote: I guess it gets back to what we have always told our Eagle Scouts: "Once you achieve this rank you will always be an Eagle Scout as opposed to those that didn't who can only say they were a Boy Scout".

Sorry if I offend, but that strikes me as the worst kind of snobbery. Only a Boy Scout? Really?

acco40 wrote: My sons have "aged" out of the youth program - they are 18 and 20. Both have earned the Eagle rank. Both worked at a Scout camp this summer. I told them that if they expect to wear their uniform, they better register. They did.

Well, your sons would have had to register anyway, no matter what you said about the uniform. To work at Scout camp and be a seasonal employee, you must be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America, either in a home unit, a temporary camp staff Venturing Crew, as a district or council Scouter, etc.

"is there an appropriate time for a registered member or leader to NOT wear the uniform at an ECOH?"

At my son's ECOH I did not wear my uniform, I wore a jacket and tie. Why? Because I wanted to be there as a parent, not a scouter. I did not wear my Eagle medal either, because I wanted the focus to be on my son's accomplishment.

My son did invite, his HS Science teacher to the COH. He work a jacket and tie, and his Eagle Medal. In his case, I was very happy to see him wear it. Among other things, it suprised and impressed many of the scouts and other HS students that were there that also had him as a teacher. Having him there, acknowledging his past as a scout and fellow Eagle said something about the longevity of the award and the brotherhood of scouting.

SA

As did Scouting Again, my sister didn't wear her uniform at her son's ECOH.

I haven't had the opportunity to make that decision yet. Don't know what I'll decide when/if I get there. I'll probably ask my son what he would prefer.

Vicki

This is the case I was thinking about. I knew, and everyone knew, our assistant council commissioner b/c he worked summer camp every summer, running the First Year Camper Program from the time retired from the USMC to the year before he died. He was tough, firm, and fair, and was very well respected by youth and adults alike in the council. You didn't pass your T-2-1 requirements at camp without truly knowing them and he would be willing to work with you at any time if needed.

He also was part of the religious committee, specifically he was the head trainer and was the chairman for BORs for the older scout religious award. So he had two roles in Scouting that I knew him from: as he sat on my Pope Pius XII BOR.

So it was natural that he would show up at my EBOR. But guess what, he wasn't in the BSA uniform. He also was a member of the Marine Corps League, and served as their representative to prevent their congratulatory certificate for earning Eagle. So he wore his MCL uniform to my ECOH.

Also My first SPL in that troop, who was still listed as an ASM, also attended. although he gave me my roast and Eagle charge, he was in his USN uniform, and presented a Navy recognition.