Has anyone heard of the Bass Pro Shops promotion offering (nationwide) counseling for Rifle Shooting and Fishing MB classes?

Our council sent out an email about it but was not very specific about the details needed to take a merit badge. There are two BPS within about 1.25 hours of us. One is in council, the other out of council. I have been unable to determine that either has a registered and trained MBC for this.

I have a scout who wants to attend. In fact, he claims his whole patrol wants to attend, though none of them have asked me about it or gotten a blue card. I cannot in good conscience send him blindly to a class where I cannot determine the Counselor's qualifications.

Any advice?

Call 417-887-7334 for the Springfield, MO Store (Home Office).

They should be able to answer your question or guide you to whom can from this number.

I'm in Springfield and haven't taken advantage of it yet but our DE is really pushing it.

Don't know much about it but if it's done well, it could be a heck of a lot of fun. I did marksmanship MB way back when and loved it. Still do.

I am a strong advocate for using target shooting whether with rifle or archery...as a way for boys to learn to focus their minds and attention on a problem, especially for those who seem to be ADHD (like me). Two activities helped me to learn how to concentrate and that skill has helped all my life. One activity involved the instant gratification of putting little holes in the center of a target. The other was chess. Since one of those things involves a firearm, my guess is that would be the one boys would like most.

For those interested there is also the Outdoor Fitness Festival (which this was advertised to local Scouters as being a part of the MB discussion.

There are events in September, October, and November in the Springfield, MO area - the website for details and registration for the events(not necessarily the MB portions) is basspro.com/fitness

There is also a planned fitness expo November 5-7.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=86326&template=bsa.cfm

Link to flyer..you still have to call your local Bass Pro for more info. Most of the classes have already been done so there are only a few left. I recommend calling to preregister as one of our Bass Pro shops has been full for the classes since this flyer was released. We also are lucky enough to have 2 within an hrs drive.