When is an Eagle Project too big?

At our District meeting last week there was a discussion about Eagle projects. There is a Troop in our district that our EBOR has issues about Eagle projects. LAst month a Scout showed up for his EBOR from this Troop with no project write up, he didn't know he had to do one.

This lead to another comment that Scouts in this Troop Egale Projects are too big.

Another Scout from this same troop did a project putting in drainage ditches. He ended up having to rent a large piece of equipment that cost $5K.

I was told another project was turned down for being too big.

The scout was going to build a very large deck and the organization was going to donate the materials with the cost of $10,000.

When (if ever) is an Eagle project too big?

Short version: When the Scout does not have a plan, or is incapable of leading the project.

Who decides? The Scoutmaster and the Scouts Troop Advancment Committee. The District Advancement chair should NOT be the heavy. They should she pre-approved, verified plans that the Eagle candidate is ready to proceed with and has a high probability of completion.

Maybe it's time to allow the Eagle candidate to FAIL, after informing him and the Troop about the probability of failure. Maybe the embarassment to the BSA, the Troop, and the Scout would open some eyes (yes I am being sarcastic).

Has the Unit Commissioner had a chat with the advancement committee for the Troop and a cup of coffee with the SM? they need training bad if the Scout does not know the requirements and the SM is sending the boy to the District...

Just my $0.02

YiS,

Rick

I partially agree with Ghermanno. I too think that it's too big when the Scout can not come up with the Scout cannot plan adequately, and cannot show adequate leadership. Also when adults have to come in and take over, not advise the scout, but completely take over.

As for success of failure, IMHO it's not about success of failure. Sure the project can be messed up due to lack of planning or lack of leadership on the Scout's part. And some evaluating needs to come into play and possibly a new project needs to be done. But one of the best Eagle projects I've seen was a complete failure overall. Life Scout wanted to reforest a bald cypress swamp that was deforested in the 1920s. He did a ton of research, talked to the experts at USDA about the proposed project, got a grant to get the trees, and raised the funds to make Nutria Guards that would protect the saplings. You see a non-native rodent called the nutria has invaded the area and destroys trees. These guards were thought to prevent the nutria from getting to the tree and killing it. Lots of time and energy went into making those , as well as planting hte trees in the swamp. 6 months later the Eagle went to see the results of his labor, and every single tree was eaten by the nutria.

I would tend to agree with ghermanno: as long as the Eagle project is well thought out and has a good chance of succeess, no project is too large.

Case in point: Onle of my Troop's scouts planned to raise funds and build a house for Habitat for Humanity and a Hurricane Katrina victim. He raised $80,000 by fundraising from his church and a targeted donation campaign and took a crew of 16 down to New Orleans for 10 days over Spring break to build most of the house. Ths is still the largest project I have ever seen by a factor of 10X, and he pulled it off because he had planned, was dedicated, and VERY enthusiastic. Reminds us of how great out youth can be at times.

I'd say it's too big when it is clear that the project is beyond the scope of the Scout to provide leadership. I don't want to disparage your Scout, Frank, or get into a debate since I don't know the boy and you do. But I've never met a 16-year-old capable of REALLY raising $80k and running the construction of a house. Maybe this guy is the one in a million, but most mega-scale project (in Scouting and out) almost always have a parent or two behind the curtain, pulling the levers.

I would rather see a boy build a few picnic tables for the local park and truely manage every aspect of the project.

Im 100% in agreement that no project is too big if it is well thought out and well planned.

Just about every Eagle project Ive read in BL or Scouter magazine, and projects in other Districts from our council Ive read about in the paper, wouldnt have been approved in my District because they would have been deemed too big for an Eagle project.

The UC will be having a discussion with the SM about Eagle projects its the first time that we've heard about problems from this Troop.

One other problem I am seeing is that someone from our Advancement Committee (EBOR) only shows up 2 or 3 times a year to the District Committee meetings so months often go by before hearing about these things.

I am still not sure if we even have a DAC.

Someone is listed as the DAC but he has stated that he is only the head of the Eagle BOR.

In the over two years of going to District meetings I have never seen them attend.