Life Rank requirement #6 EDGE method

How have folks been working with scouts to complete this new requirement?

We have several boys who need to complete this and not nearly enought younger scouts who need all of the listed requiremnts in the six choices offered.

A Scout shouldn't be held up in advancing because of the demographics of his troop! That's just a silly idea once you think about it.

Note the exact words of No. 6: "teach a younger Scout the skills ... so that he is prepared to pass these requirements." There's nothing said about the rank of the younger Scout - he could even be an Eagle - as long as he's younger. He could already have those requirements signed off - as long as he's younger. He could be a brand-new Tenderfoot - as long as he's younger. It could be a review - as long as he's younger.

However, I'd go with jhankins' second idea. Suggest to your Star Scout that he confer with another troop, his local OA chapter or the outdoor skills or first-year program staffers at summer camp, and see what opportunities they might have just waiting for a motivated, competent instructor. There are plenty!

Scout? Why wouldn't Cub Scouts qualify for a DC to apply EDGE?

I'm thinking the intent of the requirement is to teach a younger scout using the technique, not to determine the "student's" qualifications as whether or not he's a scout....

Stosh

6. While a Star Scout, use the EDGE method to teach a younger Scout the skills from ONE of the following six choices, so that he is prepared to pass those requirements to his unit leader's satisfaction.

a. Second Class - 7a and 7c (first aid)

b. Second Class - 1a (outdoor skills)

c. Second Class - 3c, 3d, 3e, and 3f (cooking/camping)

d. First Class - 8a, 8b, 8c, and 8d (first aid)

e. First Class - 1, 7a, and 7c (outdoor skills)

f. First Class - 4a, 4b, and 4d (cooking/camping)

I think I would interpret this a little more narrowly than some of you are. The phrase "so that he is prepared to pass those requirements" implies (to me, at least) that we are talking about a Boy Scout of the rank of Scout (I know it's not a rank), Tenderfoot or Second Class who has not passed the particular requirement in question, and who after the teaching session will promptly (within the next meeting or two, or the next camping trip?) go to the unit leader or someone else designated to sign off requirements (which includes some Scouts, but presumably not the Star Scout who did the teaching for his Life requirement, which would kind of defeat the purpose) and pass the requirement. Which leads to the question, if the "younger" Scout is unable to pass the requirement after learning it from the Star Scout, does the latter still get credit for the Life requirement? (If I'm wrong in the first part of the interpretation, this question is moot.)

If I'm correct in my narrow interpretation, and there aren't enough "younger" Scouts who need to be taught any of those skills at any given time, maybe the SM could talk to a neighboring SM and arrange for the Star Scout to visit the neighboring troop to teach a younger Scout from that troop. This kind of sharing among troops would have other benefits as well.

Well we have also taken a narrower view and that is where we are in a bit of a bind. We have some recent crossovers but they have completed many of the requirements listed in the Life requirement options. There is no intention to deny a Star scout the chance to advance but we also want to require no more and no less that the stated requirement.

• 3 weeks later...

6. While a Star Scout, use the EDGE method to teach a younger Scout the skills from ONE of the following six choices, so that he is prepared to pass those requirements to his unit leader's satisfaction.

a. Second Class - 7a and 7c (first aid)

b. Second Class - 1a (outdoor skills)

c. Second Class - 3c, 3d, 3e, and 3f (cooking/camping)

d. First Class - 8a, 8b, 8c, and 8d (first aid)

e. First Class - 1, 7a, and 7c (outdoor skills)

f. First Class - 4a, 4b, and 4d (cooking/camping)

Wouldn't one younger scout be able to learn these for 6 different Life Candidates? One would teach a, the second b, and so on.

It's not teach a younger scout each of these, it's teach a younger scout one of those.

There has been a minor change effective January 1, 2010. It doesn't actually affect anything, but the nomenclature is different. For Star, Requirement 6e has changed... It now reads 1, 7a, and 7b (outoor skills) and NO LONGER includes 7c (requirements a & b were combined, and c was changed to b). Anyhoo...

While a Star Scout, use the EDGE method to teach a younger Scout the skills from ONE of the following six choices, so that he is prepared to pass those requirements to his unit leader's satisfaction.

Second Class - 7a and 7c (first aid)

Second Class - 1a (outdoor skills)

Second Class - 3c, 3d, 3e, and 3f (cooking/camping)

First Class - 8a, 8b, 8c, and 8d (first aid)

First Class - 1, 7a, and 7b (outdoor skills)

First Class - 4a, 4b, and 4d (cooking/camping)

Why wouldn't Cub Scouts qualify for a DC to apply EDGE?

Because a Cub Scout doesn't meet the rank part of the requirement. This is meant for a Boy Scout to teach another Boy Scout and the key is using the fancy new EDGE (same stuff different name) not the result.

Now to upset other people on this board. I think this requirement is down right silly. If you have a Star Scout who has not taught another scout a skill then there is a problem with your troop. In other words its not boy lead. I know there are PORs that do not have to interact with scout but in my troop all PORs were also considered instructor and had to teach the other scout at one point or another.

Mark M.