Eagle application question

My understanding has always been that the Eagle application with all paperwork and signatures must be turned in to the local council office by close of business the day before a Scout's 18th birthday. I just learned of a Scout making the case that said application is on time if turned in the day of his birthday but before the actual hour of his birth. Based on my prior understanding, he is mistaken. But if he is correct, I'd sure like to know.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but councils all have sorts of "policies" regarding Eagle Application turn-in. However the only things that must be done prior to the 18th birthday are completing the requirements for rank (except the Eagle Board of Review). The Eagle Application is NOT one of the requirements for rank, just some unavoidable paperwork.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

I was under the impression that the submission of the Eagle application was how the council would know that all requirements had been satisfactorily completed, thus the need for the "unavoidable paperwork." Otherwise, how would the council know that all had been completed prior to the Scout turning 18? My home council time-stamps when the application is turned in, for instance. Otherwise, why would they need to do that?

ACP&P #33088 is now online as a pdf at ScoutSource:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33088.pdf

Page 31, the 12 steps from Life to Eagle:

It is imperative that all requirements for the Eagle Scout rank except the board of review be completed prior to the candidates 18th birthday. When all requirements except the board of review for the rank of Eagle,

including the service project and Scoutmaster conference, have been completed, an Eagle Scout Rank Application must be filled out and sent to the council service center promptly. (See special require ments for youth members with disabilities, page 43, and the section titled Time Extensions, page 25.)

The application is not, in and of itself, part of the requirements for Eagle. It's an administrative procedure. In the Council I serve, the tolling for a Scouts 18th Birthday means the SM must conduct the Scoutmaster Conference no later than the day before. There are procedures in place to process the Eagle app and have the EBOR, as a matter of course, after the 18th birthday. See the last paragraph of page 28 as it spills over to page 29:

Scouts 18 or older

Scouts who have completed all requirements for a rank prior to their 18th birthday should submit their application and be reviewed and recognized within three months after that date. Boards of review conducted between three and six months after the candidates 18th birthday must Boards of

Review be pre-approved by the local council. A statement by an adult explaining the reason for the delay must be attached to the Eagle Scout Rank Application when it is submitted to the Eagle Scout Service.Snip

"I was under the impression that the submission of the Eagle application was how the council would know that all requirements had been satisfactorily completed, thus the need for the "unavoidable paperwork." Otherwise, how would the council know that all had been completed prior to the Scout turning 18?"

Take a look at the 2nd side (or page of the application.

CERTIFICATION BY APPLICANT. On my honor as a Scout/Venturer, all statements on this application are true and correct. All requirements were completed prior to my 18th birthday.

Then there's a line for the Scout to sign and date the application immediately beneath that statement. The application has individual date fields for each of the requirements. It would redundant for the Scout to certify he had all the requirements were done before his 18th birthday on the application if the application itself had to be turned in before his 18th birthday.

All requirement dates on the application will be verified prior to scheduling a Board of Review anyway.

Thanks John! Finding stuff on that site (even things you KNOW you have seen) can be a real challenge sometimes!

Edited to add that of course it would be under the Youth area and not the Adult area! Why would an adult have a need for this? And then they put 3 separate links for the pdf in the one, 2 sentence blurb!(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

Yep your an have the EBOR after the 18th birhtday. I had mine 1 month 6 days after mine, the DAC couldn't schedule an EBOR any earlier due to scheduling conflicts on both our parts. I actually knwo someone who had the EBOR completed 6 months after his 18th birthday, but he had to appeal to national to get it. Council approved the extension, but the DAC didn't schedule it until 6 months 1 day AFTER his 18th birthday, and an appeal to national needed to be made. He had a great reason, enlisted in the USAF and was in training, and was approved.

scoutmomma, I'd be curious to see a written reference to the "hour of his birth" requirement. How would council even know what the hour of a Scout's birth is? Ask your contact to show you the requirement - always the safest policy when someone describes what seems like a very odd rule.

I don't think I've ever seen any official rule that dealt with the hour of someone's birth. Regulations always deal with the date of birth.

scoutmomma, I'd be curious to see a written reference to the "hour of his birth" requirement. How would council even know what the hour of a Scout's birth is? Ask your contact to show you the requirement - always the safest policy when someone describes what seems like a very odd rule.

I don't think I've ever seen any official rule that dealt with the hour of someone's birth. Regulations always deal with the date of birth.

LOL. I've never seen such a written requirement either, and doubt it exists anywhere. This scout and his parent were making this case but that doesn't mean it was based on anything written.

Primarily I wanted to confirm whether the application needed to be turned in the day before the birthday, as I'd always believed. I have since learned that it is the Eagle project report that council wants turned in the day before the birthday. Further, I have learned that the scout was not just turning in his Eagle application but also his Eagle project report so I make no guesses as to how it will turn out. I am, however, relieved to know that the troop had not done anything to derail this scout.