Doing requirements concurrently??

My son just bridged to Boy Scouts. he has completed "SCOUT" and is now working on "Tenderfoot" Last weekend he participated in a fellow scouts Eagle project and I was wondering if it met the requirement for "Second Class" requirement #5. Participate in an approved (minimum of one hour) service project. Can other thing be done concurrently also? Like..... would that also satisfy the requirement for 2nd clas scout 1Aand 1B?

#1A..Demonstrate how a compass works and how to orient a map. Explain what map symbols mean.

1B..Using a compass and map together, take a five-mile hike (or 10 miles by bike) approved by your adult leader and your parent or guardian.

and could use that same exercise for the camping merit badge? 3..Make a written plan for an overnight trek and show how to get to your camping spot using a topographical map and compass OR a topographical map and a GPS receiver. and Hiking merit badge requirement 4..Make a written plan for a 10-mile hike, including map routes.... can the same exercise be used for all of the concurrently (1 for all)?

Guess I should read more carefully. The service work would satisfy the 1 hour service requirement. But the work for compass, and so on, are not normally counted towards other related requirements, especially merit badges. They MAY work on requirements for all three lower ranks concurrently though, just not generally use the same work for multiple requirements.

Now for swimming for 2nd and 1st; the 50 yard requirement can be part of the 100 yard requirement. But that work normally would have nothing to do with the swimming portion of the merit badge, other than to meet the prelim requirement to have completed those elements of rank prior to, or concurrently with the "start" of the badge and the "swim check".

Anyway, that is the way we normally apply these things. Others may have slightly different thoughts, but they likely are very similar.

What activity is, or is not, able to be used to complete a requirement for a merit badge is COMPLETELY up to the merit badge counselor, and it is YOUR SON'S responsibility to discuss it with the MB Counselor, NOT yours.

Fire,

#1 Welcome to the Forums!

#2 take a deep breath and RELAX.

#3 Step away from your son and let him figure it out with his PL and SPl. ;)

Seriously welcome to Boy Scouts and please realize it is 110% Different than Cub Scouts. There are no den leaders, rather YOUTH serve as patrol leaders. Adults are there to ADVISE NOT LEAD. If your troop looks like organized chaos, then it is working. the Patrol Method IS organized chaos, and one of the hardest parts of being an adult leader is watching the youth FAIL, LEARN FROM IT, AND GROW (all caps are for emphasis). IMHO the Patrol Method is the hardest part about Scouting, esp for former CS Leaders.

As for the service requirement, of course it does!

As for counting previous work on ranks toward merit badge work, I would be a bit more hesitant. A Scout cannot work on a merit badge without the blue card from the Scoutmaster, and if this isn't in place, then it shouldn't count. That said, if the Scout has acquired the skill, it would be that much easier to complete the requirement once the Scout has begun work on the merit badge, yes?

Merit badge counselors determine if merit badge requirements are met. Scoutmasters, who are in charge of the advancement program of their unit, determine if a rank requirement is met. They may use proxy's (SAs, PLs, TGs, SPLs, Instructors, etc.) but they ultimately are the deciders.

Now, the above assumes districts and councils don't get involved.

Now for some practical advice, the worst thing a Scoutmaster can do is to dampen the enthusiasm of a new Scout. If a Scout participated in a Eagle scout leadership service project for at least one hour, most SMs would determine that the 2nd Class requirement was met.

I'm confused by your writing (Firescouter64) because service and map and compass & hikes don't seem related. If you are asking if the rank requirements and merit badge requirements can be met simultaneously? The answer is it depends on what is stated in the MB requirements but usually yes if approved by the SM and/or MB counselor. For example, just because a Scout was 2nd Class, if the MB required him to know something that was embedded in that rank requirement too (i.e. certain first aid) or vice versa, I still wanted the Scout to show proficiency.