Teaching a MB with little expertise

I've been asked to help teach Environmental Science Merit Badge by another ASM in our troop. The new session of merit badge classes start tonight, and I'm a little freaked out. I'm not a scientist, and while I do know a lot of the subject matter here from coursework in high school and college, I don't know it at a deep enough level (read: avocation/profession) to feel like I'm going to be particularly effective.

Now, I don't want to turn this into a debate over whether or not merit badge classes are appropriate in a troop meeting setting or any of that kind of thing, as that's been debated here extensively. The situation is what it is, and there's nothing I can do to change it. Given the rules regarding merit badge counselors, I'm certainly not qualified, but I've been asked and I'm not going to ruffle feathers and say no. While I've taught other merit badges for which I do have a wealth of knowledge and experience, and been effective, this isn't one of them. I get the impression they trust me, and there weren't any other adults who were willing to tackle it. I'll have help from another ASM, but I don't know if that will be enough. I don't want to just rubber-stamp the kids, as unfortunately they get enough of that. And I do want them to learn something and have fun with the subject matter here, because there is much to be excited and energetic about with this particular MB (it was definitely one of my favorites as a youth).

Any tips besides reading all I can and being overly prepared to tackle individual requirements at individual sessions? I try not to resort to the worksheets published online unless I have to, but I think I might have to here. That's the only way I think I can be successful at this. Set out a lesson plan, don't deviate from it, and be ready on a week-by-week basis...

Congratulations! You know more than about 85% of anybody you know!

You don't have to be a professional in that subject to teach it. It's not like the scout's ability to get into college rests on your teaching of the subject matter.

It's just a basic overview/ intro to it.

Think about all the stuff we teach kids without being masters/ professionals at it.

I'm not a banker, but tell my kid why saving his money is a good thing.

I'm not a chef, but cook/bake/grill out all the time.

I'm not a a forest ranger/ tree hugger, but use and explain LNT every chance I get.

See where I am going with this? :)

Scoutfish, the BSA merit badge program is a bit different from Cub Scouts and has an approximate standard for registered merit badge counselors, which is an expertise in the subject based on profession, hobby or life skill.

That said, sometimes counselors get signed up because they can breathe.

If you know enough to know you don't know enough, or if you look at all the requirements and don't know the answer without researching it yourself, you probably shouldn't be teaching it.

A good example is Automotive Maintenance. An automechanic or someone into cars that does their own maintenance would make a good counselor. But someone who takes their car into a service shop because a) the manual tells them to based on mileage or b) something isn't working right should not be teaching the subject.

Or just because you own and use a computer doesn't make you an effective Computers MB instructor.

To Bando. If you don't feel that you have the knowledge to teach the merit badge, you should decline.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

So it sounds like the other ASM is the registered MBC and he has asked for your help with it? Or are you going to be the registered MBC and he's going to help you?

E-Sci is one of those that you have to do a little something in a bunch of categories. Since you will be basically "teaching" it, you could certainly pick the experiments / activites you feel most comfortable with, or that seem the most do-able in the short class period times you have. Some of them can be really fun and interesting. For one of them, my son did something about oil spilled into a pan of water and different ways to "gather" or clean it up (paper towel, string, detergent, etc). He also did an experiment comparing regular packing peanuts (dissolving them with fingernail polish remover / acetone) and comparing with those "Nuudles" which are made of corn starch and dissolve in water. These are certainly experiments you can do in a short time but get the boys doing hands-on things.

A matching game is easy for the definitions. Go over the defintions together. Then, since you will be in a group setting, try taping the terms all along the wall, then have the definitions typed out onto strips. Have team relay race to see who can tape the correct definitions with the terms. Active learning.

Google "environmental impact statement" to see what needs to be included there - it doesn't have to be complicated, just thoughtful. My son did his on a new animal shelter that was being built in our county. He used the EIS sample and wrote about environmental factors HE thought needed to be considered in building the shelter.

Don't try to tackle too much at a time with this MB - take your time - it's an important one and not feeling rushed will be better for everyone :-)

clyde

I'm not saying that anybody should teach at medical school just because they used to watch Quincy MD.

But as far as having the requisite being a professional in the filed ...you'dlose out on at least, if not more, on teaching any MB.

Bando did say : "I'm not a scientist, and while I do know a lot of the subject matter here from coursework in high school and college, I don't know it at a deep enough level (read: avocation/profession) to feel like I'm going to be particularly effective."

Specifically, I want to point out: "...while I do know a lot of the subject matter here from coursework in high school and college...."

On a realistic level, short of getting a paid professional to teach these MB, where do you turn? Or do you just convince the scouts to avoid those MB's?

Again, I'm not saying to get somebody who never saw a tree to teach

environmental science or forestry,, but unless you have a forest ranger on hand....who will teach it?

Likewise, I am not a dealership retained- factory trained auto mechanic, but I did take 3 years of automechanics in high school. I did everything to an engine except bore the block, turn the crank and turn the cams.

I am noy employed in the auto repair industry, but You bet I could teach automotive maintanance. I wouldn't teach them how to take their dad's eingine out of his car and tear it completely down, but cover basic oil changes and routine maintainance and trouble shooting.

Bando sounds like he has more than an inkling of environmental science. And just by listening to his concerns, doesn't sound like the type to just make stuff up. Not one of your "I put a bandaid on a dog once so I'll teach veternary medicine!" types.

Scoutfish, you even quoted this:

"I don't know it at a deep enough level (read: avocation/profession) to feel like I'm going to be particularly effective."

Anyone who doesn't feel they can do it effectively should politely decline from instructing.

Being a merit badge counselor isn't about knowing enough that you can carry on a conversation. It's about knowing enough to successfully ensure that the scouts have completed the requirements satisfactorily.

3 years of automechanics in high school MIGHT be enough to be a satisfactory instructor for Automotive Maintenance MB, IF you learned about everything having to do with what makes a car go. If all you did was focus on gasoline engines using carburetors with automatic transmission, you may know nothing about manual transmissions, diesel engines, electronic fuel injection, hybrid engines, etc. which are things that are covered by merit badge requirements.

My point is, it depends on your actual knowledge of the requirements, not just that you know more on the subject than the scout you are counseling.

I may be wrong, but Bando's post sounded more like lack of confidence than admission of inability.

And the qoute: "I don't know it at a deep enough level (read: avocation/profession) to feel like I'm going to be particularly effective."

Emphasize " deep enough level (read: avocation/profession)" .

So he's saying he's not a paid professional scientist? How many of your average packs and troops have them ?

Yeah, automechanics, not gas engines. Basic theory of internal combustion ..rotory engines, steam engines, electric engines, diesels...

Granted, pretty much most of what we worked on were old 350'2 and the Mopar slant 6's. You could almost count all the wires and vacuum lines on one hanfd, but still applies to auto manit classes. Can't do the computer stuff with out a diagnostic computer or handheld OBD device..which I suppose the average troop doesn't have.

But if it does...I'm coming your way! :)

Again, my point is if in your own head you feel you know enough on a subject to know that you don't know enough to be effectively teach to the requirements, then you shouldn't do it. It doesn't matter if you are a paid professional or not.

On a more general note it's a good idea to try to recruit MBCs from outside the unit. It creates a more diverse resource for the Adult Association method. The MBC lists have become much too insular these days.

And I don't know diddly about how cars work. That's why I'm recruiting my mechanic to be a MBC for that merit badge, and set up an introductory course with some of the troops in the area. Merit badge instruction would be done at a later time, if a scout chooses to work on the merit badge. The mechanic is a female, so it'll double as toward my diversity ticket item for WB (well one of my 2 diversity ticket items).(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

From the BSA Guide for MErit Badge Counselors -

"The merit badge counselor is a key player in the Boy Scout advancement program. Whatever your area of EXPERTISE or INTEREST whether it is a special craft or hobby (basketry, leatherwork, coin collecting), a profession (veterinary medicine, aviation, engineering), or perhaps a life skill (cooking, personal management, communications) as a merit badge counselor, you can play a vital role in stirring a young man's curiosity about that particular topic."

From the BSA Merit Badge Counselor Application -

"To qualify as a merit badge counselor, you must

Be at least 18 years old.

BE PROFICIENT IN THE MERIT BADGE SUBJECT BY VOCATION, AVOCATION, OR SPECIAL TRAINING.

Be able to work with Scout-age boys.

Be registered with the Boy Scouts of America."

The CAPS are mine for emphasis.

How can you stir anyone's curiosity in a subject if you only have a passing knowledge of it, or really don't care a whole bunch about it, and find it boring?

MB are not to be taught, that why your called a MB counslor and not a MB instructor.

MB are to be earned by completing the requirement to the counselors satisfaction.

The youth is suppose to study the requirements and pamphlet do the works and pass off the requirements to the counselors satisfaction.

The purpose it for the youth to learn by doing, researching and asking questions of their counselor, not by having someone teach subject and then pass off the requirements because sat in a class.

I agree with nolesrule. If you don't know much about a subject, you are poorly equipped to 'counsel' or teach it. Read the requirements for Aviation merit badge and see how the arguments play out. If the counselor doesn't know much about that subject, the 'proper supervision' is probably not going to happen.

Now this would not, of course, rule out something like 'homeschooling'.

Gary, you are correct, of course, and I should have been more careful in my wording. Depending on the merit badge, however, there can be instruction involved (especially for skill-based requirements), but the scout still needs to complete the requirement as written to get signed off on it, whether it be written, oral or demonstration. Watching the counselor do it once or sitting through a class certainly doesn't count.

For example, the class I talked about in a previous post with my auto mechanic is something she does monthly for teens and women drivers locally to become more familiar with their cars. It imparts some basic knowledge on what to look for and regular maintenance needs, but has nothing to do with the merit badge itself; it's something she's been doing for years as a service to the community. It would serve as a great introduction to see who is interested in earning the MB, but that's about it.

I find nothing wrong with teaser "classes" like that, which might generate some interest in a merit badge, but that shouldn't be the how a MB is earned.

I'm with Scoutfish on this one.

Most merit badges (most, not all) can be counseled by someone who knows more than the Scouts, and that would seem to include most adults. Especially given that you can read ahead in the book.

I know what the rules say, and if you have someone who is particularly well-qualified, you should by all means use him or her, but since that's not always the case, I don't think I'd be overly concerned about it. They use 16 year old kids to teach this at summer camp.

Bando - my take is that you would do a fine job. I think your last paragraph sums up a reasonable plan. If you can have some of the lesson plans involve interesting experiments, all the better. The more hands-on stuff you can do, the more the Scouts will enjoy it.

I've watched the 16-year-olds lead Environmental Science merit badge in summer camp and I can say that for the scouts, it was a waste of time. The 16-year-olds did read ahead of the boys and as a result were incapable of answering the most elementary questions. They sat in the nature lodge and read from the pamphlet, had no knowledge resources to complete the writing tasks, and basically were clueless with respect to some of the requirements. They didn't even complete all the requirements and awarded the badge anyway.

I am unimpressed with this approach. Worse, the scouts received a stellar example of how to get out of some work and how the 'system' even supports/promotes this attitude. What a great life lesson...NOT.