Pets merit badge design

Okay, no politics or controversy in this thread (I don't think so anyway).

I just want to know what the blue thing is on the Pets merit badge.

http://scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges/mb-PETS.aspx

I see the fish. I see the cat. But what is the blue thing on the back of the fish. Is it a snail? A hermit crab? A helmet?

Creative answers are welcome.

I dug out my merit badge sash to take a look live.

SWMBO says its a zoidberg, like the guy on Futurama.

Turns out I have had mine hanging oriented incorrectly for several decades. I had it turned a quarter turn counter clockwise from the picture so that it looked like the fish was on a line and the cat was munching on it. The blue thing looks like some sort of parasite to me.

Scoutfish had it right, it is a helmet, however I don't believe the BSA would endorse the nazi variety, although this may have slipped through their QA/QC process. The "Fish Helemt" is also a safety item covered in the GSS.

Hmm. Assuming the blue thing is supposed to be a bird, is the yellowish blotch in the middle of the blue area supposed to be the bird's eye, with the beak on the right? If so, I can see how that's supposed to be a bird, even though it's poorly done. The first few times I looked at it, I had no idea how it could be a bird. They really ought to fix that.

I heard that in order to free up "future new Merit Badge slots", the BSA is going to combine some Merit Badges...

Frinstance, Pets and Cooking...

Wood Carving and Forestry...

Motorboating and Waterskiing...

Might be more...