Ok, I know this is probably a dumb question but as usual I have gotten a bunch of different answers so I thought I would get your thoughts. With the new requirements added to the scout ranks does a boy have to get a new book or can the new requirements be written into his old book and signed off when he completes them? It's not that big of a deal for us as we already have a new book sitting at the house as a reference but for some parents this could be a real hardship. Not to mention a inconvience to have to keep track of 2 books. Thats also not a concern here as my son still has all of his cub books but I was just wondering how all of this works. Thanks

Yes, you can do it any way you want. But there is a little flip book (like the old pocket spiral note books) which contain only the new requirements in a (miniture) format to be signed off like in the handbook. It sells at the scoutshop for $4.49, I believe.

Us experienced scouters need a magnifying glass to read it (and sign initials and date) but it is an easy way to get the new requirements for someone who does not feel the need to buy a whole new book.

More than a suggestion, that is exactly what is described policy in the Advancement Committee Policies & Procedures guidebook. Any rank or MB begun before a change was officially implemented can be finished under either set of requirements (scout's choice); once the new rank is begun after a change, new requirements apply.