Issue with New Geocaching Merit Badge

Dave,

If you want to be an agent of change, start by contacting your Council Professional who is the Staff Adviser to the Advancement Committee. Share your concerns with him.

I will bet a steak dinner at the Golden Ox that the association you mentioned in your base post offered to develop the MB pamphlet for free to BSA. That has happened more than once.

Complaing here, and on facebook (as you have), isn't going to do much. You need someone who can reach into the staff at Irving.

The Scuba merit badge requires the use of one of several organizations.

In this case the site geocaching.com is the first, largest, most popular, and most familiar web site. To the uninitiated, it would seem virtually synonomous with geocaching. The word "geocaching" was coined in 2000 and the site geocaching.com also opened in 2000. So I don't have a real issue with referring to it, but I do think it could have been stated as "geocaching.com or similar web site", or something like that.

Exactly. I don't mind at all referencing a particular site, but would probably have made the requirements generic and then listed various sites that could be used. That's all.

The ironic thing is that Groundspeak (owner of geocaching.com) is pretty much fanatical about any hint of solicitation or commercial aspect to any cache listing. They continually state that such commercialization is "not in keeping with the spirit of geocaching."

One poster mentioned you do not need a GPS to geocache. Do it old school get the coordinates and locate them on a map then find the cache. I like that idea. would that also satisfy the requirement for 2nd clas scout 1Aand 1B?

1A..Demonstrate how a compass works and how to orient a map. Explain what map symbols mean.

1B..Using a compass and map together, take a five-mile hike (or 10 miles by bike) approved by your adult leader and your parent or guardian.

and could use that same exercise for the camping merit badge? 3..Make a written plan for an overnight trek and show how to get to your camping spot using a topographical map and compass OR a topographical map and a GPS receiver. and Hiking merit badge requirement 4..Make a written plan for a 10-mile hike, including map routes.... can the same exercise be used for all of the concurrently (1 for all)?

Now, I am on the Sea Scouting side of things so I am not completely sure how it all works in Boy Scouts, but I don't see any reason that what you say shouldn't be possible. As long as a really good job is done then it should be fine.

The link below is goes to a place where you can download Bowditch, otherwise known as The American Practical Navigator. While this book focuses on sea going navigation there are several chapters that can be used by people navigating on land.

http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_apn_sections.html?rid=187

I guess I don't understand the outrage. I am new to Geocaching, but have found geocaching.com to be a great site.

Last night I downloaded Groundspeak's iPhone geocaching application. This takes advantage of the iPhone's built in GPS, WiFi, and cel tower reception to give you your location. The application connects wirelessly to geocaching.com (and your account there) to show you cache's and information. The compass and map feature in the application led my son and me to within 12 feet of a geocache this morning on the way to school.

If you already own an iPhone, this $10 app is certainly a great, cheap way to get going. You have the advantage of geocaching.com AND your GPS in one unit.

Geocaching.com IS a great site. I have a few issues with how they do some things, but it's more about the big picture. I just don't think a Merit Badge should be linked to a single company.

As far as I know this is the ONLY badge the actually requires the use of a specific company's product. Maybe BSA could work a good deal with Black and Decker to "sponsor" the Home Repair MB or with Coleman for the Camping MB. I think the problem with geocaching is a lack of familiarity. I'm sure most of the folks involved with developing the badge think that geocaching (the activity) is synonomous with geocaching.com (Groundspeak, Inc.'s website). Actually the majority of geocachers, probalby have the same impression since they do probably account for 97% of the market.

Even First Aid does not require the use of the American Red Cross nor does Rifle Shooting require the use of the NRA. Though, I wouldn't necessarily have as much of an issue with singling out a leading non-profit / not-for-profit organization.

"Outrage" is probably too strong a word for me, personally, since I have applied to be a counselor. I'd just prefer to see it be written in more neutral language.

Firescouter,

Yes - Reqs 1A & B are often done together. Usually with scouting requirements, when it say "make a written plan" (love the fact that they thought it necessary to clarify "written"!), it is not necessary to carry out the plan, unless it says so specifically (using the plan you created in Req. X, hike at least x miles etc. etc.).

If you are serious about converting coordinates to an actual location on a topographic map (I'm assuming you'll be using the standard USGS 1:24,000 scale map that's most common), it's fairly straight forward to find the GENERAL location of the coordinates. If you are going to actually plot the exact spot, you'll need a mapping ruler like the one shown below - each ruler is specific to the scale of the map (1:10,000, 1:24,000, etc.).

I don't want to drown you in details, just wanted to make you aware before you headed out into the woods (or urban jungle, as the case may be) looking for a needle in a haystack.

http://www.maptools.com/products/LatLonRulers.html

--Gags

The scoutingnews blog item references back to a Capital Area Council post that says the badge itself and the pamphlet are still under development. Usscouts.org doesn't have a picture yet, either, so all indications are that the badge image has not yet been released.

Dave424, I think they mention geocache.com for the simple fact that 1) its the bigest and best known, when a scout does a websearch on geocache its the first thing on the list.

2) BSA has entered into an agreement with GC and groundspeak to help introduce the MB, groundspeak has also sponsored Travelbugs for the centenial cellebration. Just as Lowes has sponsored Pinewood Derby build days to sell Dremmel products. you'll see lowes adds in boys life but not Home Depot or Ace hardware.

Gags, As it turns out I have been asked to be the MB counselor for this MB in our troop. I will of course help them find the resources to determin the difference between LatLong and UTM as shown below in 5B. But I would encourage them to become profiecent in the application of UTM. The UTM system is a more logical way of teaching map use. The UTM system when used correctly can locate a spot as small as a 10 meter box quite easily and down to a 1 meter box with a little more effort. This is one of the main reasons the US military has gone to this standard. And is more accurate than most commercial GPS devices. There is also a map tool for it.

http://www.maptools.com/products/PocketCorners.html

Not to mention it will serve to satisfy 5C & 5D as shown below.

5. Do the following:

a. Show that you know how to use a map and compass and explain why this is important for geocaching.

b. Explain the similarities and differences between GPS navigation and standard map reading skills and describe the benefits of each.

c. Explain the UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) system and how it differs from the latitude/longitude system used for public geocaches.

d. Show how to plot a UTM waypoint on a map. Compare the accuracy to that found with a GPS unit.

As received, names redacted.

From: (redacted) AT scouting.org [mailto: (redacted) AT scouting.org]

Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:43 PM

To: Undisclosed recipients

Subject: BSA Must Read: Release of Final Requirements for Geocaching Merit Badge

This is an official BSA communication.

To: (redacted)

CC: Assistant Regional Directors;regional directors;Area- Directors;(redacted);Group Directors;(redacted by names)

BSA Must Read: Release of Final Requirements for Geocaching Merit Badge

Attached please find the final requirements for the Geocaching Merit Badge. SMEs and staff have begun work on the merit badge pamphlet and we expect to have it in Scout Shops and local service centers late in the second quarter. Please forward to camp staffs and others as you deem appropriate.

We are excited to introduce the Geocaching Merit Badge. It is the second new merit badge within 6 months (after SCUBA) and the first of three to focus on applications associated with science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). The other two merit badges in this group include the Inventing Merit Badge (developed in partnership with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology) due out in mid-June and the Robotics Merit Badge due out in the first quarter of 2011).

The Geocaching Merit Badge will be represented at Merit Badge Midway at the 2010 National Scout Jamboree.

As a reminder, the Scouting Heritage Merit Badge is finishing printing and should be in the NDC on approximately 4/19. Please remind your Scout Shop personnel to place their orders for this item (#35970).

If you have any questions, please contact (redacted) at (redacted).

Rate This Communication

You are receiving this e-mail because you are subscribed to one or more of the categories or tags associated with this communication. Please click "Edit your subscriptions and tags" on this page to change your preferences.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)