Issue with New Geocaching Merit Badge

I'm an ASM and an avid geocacher, so I was definitely interested in the new badge.

Hoever, I've seen what are apparently the requirements. I like that they cover first aid, Leave No Trace, using the GPSr, how the GPS system works, and UTM, but am disappoined that three of the requirments are specific to Groundspeak - the corporation that runs www.geocahing.com. There are other (much smaller) geocaching sites out there ( www.TerraCaching.com and www.Navicache.com are two) and it would have been nice if scouts had an option of which site to use.

Is anyone familiar with any ohter MB that requires the use of a specific commercial (even if free) website or business to complete the requirements?

There's an App for That. We don't have GPS's specifically but are trying out some of the apps you can download to a GPS enabled phone such as BlackStar on a blackberry. One girl is downloading a different app onto her iPhone. We'll see how they work!

Our troop does not own one, but I have two and know we have a few other leaders (at least) with trail GPSr units.

HobcawChaos is right, though. There are a variety of apps for various phones that make them perfectly functional for most geocaching.

You don't necicarely need a GPS to geocach. You get the lat and long from the website, then you go get a map and do it old school. With a good map you should be just fine. I don't know about you, but I find chart plotting to be fun, and it is a great skill to have. You can get all the tools you need from a office supply store, then you just need the proper maps.

If I can plot the waypoint for the entrance to the harbor at Puerto Vallarta then you can find a geocach. Also, when someone does it wrong it is a great lesson in why it is important to be accurate.

Also, on the www.geocaching.com website it says they are the "The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site". That may be one of the reasons that they are the one you are supposed to use.(This message has been edited by sailingpj)

Excuses excuses.

I run geocaching outings with Packs in our districts. I purchased a couple of inexpesive GPS units and hand the boys cards with the pages printed off of geocache.com. In our town there is several clusters in large parks. So we met at the park hand out the sheet, so a brief show and tell about how it works and cut the dens loose. I also give the Den Leader a two way. We usually burn some hot dogs while they are out. It is fantastic fun.

From sailingpj...

Also, on the www.geocaching.com website it says they are the "The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site". That may be one of the reasons that they are the one you are supposed to use.

I'm sorry, but that's like Coca-Cola calls itself "The Real Thing". It doesn't mean anything.

I'm still curious if there are any other merit badges that require the use of a specific commercial enterprise.

Geomate Jr. looks nice, it is fairly new. 69 bucks No experience with it.

I have a garmin Dakota 400 bucks and a couple of etrex. 69 bucks new

or keep an eye on craigs list and ebay.

For my Den outings I use a couple of etrex that I bought off of craigs list for 25 and 40 bucks each.

I bought 4 Garmin eTrex handheld GPS receivers for my Pack to use. I have not got involved in any geocaching events yet, but I am looking forward to some events this season. BTW, most auto units can be used in walking mode, which allows them to be carried when hiking. The only drawback is that the really colorful screens on most suto units will drain the battery in very short order. My eTrex units have a battery life of about 16 hours continuous use.

The Geomate Jr. is good for new or very casual cachers, so it sounds like it might be good for scout units interested in caching.

BUT to my understanding it does not allow entering custom waypoints as would be required for the merit badge. It is only useful for finding the preloaded (or updated from their site) list of geocaches listed on Groundspeak's geocaching.com and would not support placing new caches (since you can't mark your location) or finding caches listed on other sites such as TerraCaching.com or Navicache.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the main reason they chose to say geocaching.com is because the BSA has partnered with them for the 100th Anniversary "Get in the Game! With Geocaching" program. Also, because Groundspeak is well-known in the geocaching community. I know a few very avid geocachers that swear by geocaching.com.

I honestly have never heard of those other sites... but again, that's just me.

they have partnered and I have eagerly awaited the release of the scouting geobugs to go find a few. None are on the geocache website yet. I called our council to find out about our 5 bug allotment, but to no avail.

If you buy the usb cable.....looks like the standard one to me......you should be able to load custom waypoints.

• 4 weeks later...

Following their previous episode which discussed the Geocaching MB, I sent a note to Art and Karen, the hosts of the Centennial State Geocaching podcast and scouters, about the concerns I had over BSA's new Geocaching Merit Badge being specific to Groundspeak. Karen read my letter on this week's episode and followed that by speaking extensively about the two other main caching sites, TerraCaching and Navicache.

If you're a geocacher, I recommend subscribing to their podcast, but in either case, I'd urge you this to follow the links below to listen to these two episodes show. You can also leave comments on the page.

CSG Show #30 Thoughts on the Geocaching Merit Badge

http://centennialstategeocaching.com/csg-show-30-thoughts-on-the-geocaching-merit-badge

CSG Show #31 terracaching and navicaching

http://centennialstategeocaching.com/csg-show-31-terracaching-and-navicaching

(Since the full links don't work, if you just follow what IS linked, and click on "Shows", you'll see the individual episodes listed.)